Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

I am looking forward to Justin Cronin's "The Twelve", which is the sequel to "The Passage". It comes out in two weeks. I preordered on Amazon about 6 months ago. Can't wait.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any "A Song of Ice and Fire" fans here?

2014 seems very, very far away.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I am looking forward to Justin Cronin's "The Twelve", which is the sequel to "The Passage". It comes out in two weeks. I preordered on Amazon about 6 months ago. Can't wait.
    Just finished The Passage. A beautiful book, if that's not too strange a thing to say about such a violent story. Pre-ordered The Twelve.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Finally diving into Hemingway with For Whom the Bell Tolls.

I was never made to read his books in high school (we were wholly Dickensian) and never got around to them after that. Tragedy.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I've always like Hemmingway. You can recognize his prose from ten miles away. I remember turning on a television once, hearing a snippet of dialogue, and immediately realizng it was from EH. Turned out to be "The Snows of Kilamanjaro".

And on the opposite end of the continuium, my pre-ordered Kindle edition of Justin Cronin's "The Twelve" arrived this morning, and I've already dived in. Interesting start, recapping the first book in Biblical style with chapters and verses.

Also a little more than halfway through Neil Gaiman and Terri Pratchett's "Good Omens". A lot of fun.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Just finished "The Twelve". I plowed through it in three days. The book was ok, certainly not as good as "The Passage". A satisfying read, but not nearly as fast paced as "The Passage".
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

"In the Pleasure Groove-Love, Death & Duran Duran" by John Taylor on my Nook Color. Went and bought the hard copy as well, and thinking about getting the audio book (John narrates it and he has a lovely voice).

Anyway, I'm about a third of the way through - digesting it slowly. Of course, being a fan reading this was a no-brainer, but he paints a very vivid picture of being a midlands British teenager in the 70's (Bowie, glam, punk). Also, being a religious "subset" (his word) in Britain (he's Roman Catholic). Just finished the chapter of Simon getting the lead singer gig so the next third will be familiar territory... I'll just be looking behind the curtain or under the rug.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Secrets Of the Code by Dan Burstein. A discussion of The DaVinci Code and whether there's a possibility that some of the ideas in the book could be true or not.

anyone read Cloud: atlas? Worth reading? I just read some preview of the movie and discussing the nature of the book, which intrigued me. however, it sounded that perhaps it could be a bit tedious and I'd rather not have another "infinite Jest" situation where the book became beyond tedious and was a pain just to get thru.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Just finished Black List by Brad Thor. I went through it way too fast.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Just finished "Over Time; My Life as as Sportswriter" by Frank Deford. A really good read. Not just locker room insider stuff but a very personable, well written book. I especially enjoyed the sections on Auther Ashe and Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    anyone read Cloud: atlas? Worth reading? I just read some preview of the movie and discussing the nature of the book, which intrigued me. however, it sounded that perhaps it could be a bit tedious and I'd rather not have another "infinite Jest" situation where the book became beyond tedious and was a pain just to get thru.
    I'm interested in knowing this as well. As I posted earlier in the thread, I worked my way throught Infinite Jest earlier this year. I'm glad I did, as I thought it was great, but I recently tried to read "Gravity's Rainbow" and just couldn't get past page 120. I think some of these books click for you and some just don't.
    Where we gonna go?

Just started "The Historian" and having trouble putting it down.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Any fiction written by David Mitchell is worth reading. In my opinion, he is the best storyteller I can think of of his generation.
    If you likeCloud Atlas, I strongly suggest its influence - Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler - a great post-modernist novel.

I just finished Skippy dies by Paul Murray - Harry Potter type milieu, with far more humor and relevancy to current life.

Turn Off Ads?