Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. About 50 pages in so far but it looks promising. Ronson wrote the book 'The Men Who Stare At Goats", which was turned into a George Clooney film. He also wrote 'Lost at Sea', which is an esoteric collection of essays that made for an enjoyable read over the Holidays.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Just started John Dies At The End. Anyone read it?
    Just finished "John Dies at the End." Wow, what a terrifying, hilarious thrill ride. I can't remember the last time I almost gave up on a book two chapters in, only to find myself completely captivated by the end.

I'm now about 50 pages into the sequel, "This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Just finished "John Dies at the End." Wow, what a terrifying, hilarious thrill ride. I can't remember the last time I almost gave up on a book two chapters in, only to find myself completely captivated by the end.

I'm now about 50 pages into the sequel, "This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It."
    Funny, but the same thing happened to me. I first suggested it to my wife and she read the first 25 pages and put it aside. Which was to be expected because that crazed and gonzo style of writing wasn't her cup of tea (she's more of a Jodi Picoult reader).

So I read it and had the same feeling after 25 pages. Like "OK yeah, I know, you can write shocking things that are crazy and make left hand plot turns all over the place, but can you engage me in the story because this is getting stupid?". And after 50 pages I got engaged big time. "terrifying, hilarious thrill ride" indeed.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Just finished "I am the messenger" by Markus Zusak

"young adult book" someone passed along to my wife. Started out, OK, could have had more detail, but the further I got in the book the more I enjoyed. Just kept getting better and better; loved the ending. Could have been a little more detail/development, but in the end I think it worked well as is.

Started "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Rielly. So far, some interesting things I didn't know about JFK's life, not sure what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Just finished "I am the messenger" by Markus Zusak

"young adult book" someone passed along to my wife. Started out, OK, could have had more detail, but the further I got in the book the more I enjoyed. Just kept getting better and better; loved the ending. Could have been a little more detail/development, but in the end I think it worked well as is.
    Have you read The Book Thief? It's extraordinary, probably one of my favorite books of all time. It was also marketed as YA here in the States, but not in Zusak's native Australia.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Have you read The Book Thief? It's extraordinary, probably one of my favorite books of all time. It was also marketed as YA here in the States, but not in Zusak's native Australia.
    No, but my wife is going to bring it home from school for me to read sometime. I believe she teaches it to one of her classes (she teaches 6th, 7th & 8th) every year.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The last day I taught last week before the flu hit, a student was reading the book. I asked her about it, told her I had been thinking about reading it, and she let me read the first few pages. I'll probably read it before the year's out.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Funny, but the same thing happened to me. I first suggested it to my wife and she read the first 25 pages and put it aside. Which was to be expected because that crazed and gonzo style of writing wasn't her cup of tea (she's more of a Jodi Picoult reader).

So I read it and had the same feeling after 25 pages. Like "OK yeah, I know, you can write shocking things that are crazy and make left hand plot turns all over the place, but can you engage me in the story because this is getting stupid?". And after 50 pages I got engaged big time. "terrifying, hilarious thrill ride" indeed.
    I think you'll like the sequel then, Roy - I just finished it. Buckle up.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The last day I taught last week before the flu hit, a student was reading the book. I asked her about it, told her I had been thinking about reading it, and she let me read the first few pages. I'll probably read it before the year's out.
    Awesome. Hope you and medford both enjoy it!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Senor Votto

Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Cant put it down

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Cant put it down
    Let me in

Recently finished No Easy Day and Killing Kennedy.

Now I'm digging into Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals.

I love me some non-fiction.

Rereading Trout Bum, by John Gierach, the book that made me a fan of his and the one that caused me to faithfully await all the others that followed.

Just finished Signal and Noise by Nate Silver and Makers by Chris Anderson. Signal and Noise is good and there's interesting stuff about PECOTA. Makers has all the content of a magazine article.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Have been on a Michael Connelly kick. If I find his books on sale for my kindle I snatch them up. Finished The Concrete Blonde and have moved on to The Last Coyote.

Turn Off Ads?