Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Love this book. Feinstein has unfortunately turned into an ass these days, but this was him at his best. Fun read.
    Has he? I haven't read anything by him in awhile, that's a shame to hear.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Has he? I haven't read anything by him in awhile, that's a shame to hear.
    He needs to stay off TV and stick to writing. He's a great writer, but has become a little ego-centric for my taste.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    He needs to stay off TV and stick to writing. He's a great writer, but has become a little ego-centric for my taste.
    That advice would be well-taken by many in the genre, but TV pays well and I don't want to hijack the thread, so...

I've been re-reading some old standbys lately: Charles Kuralt's America, S.L.A. Marshall's World War I and Lewis Grizzard's If I Ever Get Back to Georgia I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I am almost finished reading this now. This is a good book to read if you cannot read a lot in one sitting. Multiple short story's of Tom Browning's life/career.

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Brownings-.../dp/1596700467

I finished the Tom Browning book and was a good read.

I am reading this next. I want to read about his days in the Monday Night Football booth.

Book Description
    Publication Date: November 19, 1995
    "Eloquent testimony not only to the fragility of the human body but to its durability as well." The Washington Post Book World.
    He was the handsome golden boy out of USC, the star running back for the New York Giants, and -- for the last twenty-two years -- the stalwart voice of ABC's "Monday Night Football." But for Frank Gifford, the road to success did not come easy -- whether on or off the field.
    Now, for the first time, this intensely private man tells his inspirational story, providing an insider's look at the NFL replete with shocking and humorous anecdotes. A classic memoir of a true American gridiron hero.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I'm nearly done with 56 by Koysta Kennedy. Great book about Joe D's hitting streak. Goes into detail about the nuances of the streak and also about the times of 1941. I finished the sub-chapter about Rose's 44 game streak yesterday. If anyone was ever going to break Joe D's record it would have been him. He had the personality wo withstand the pressures that go with it. But just didn't quite have the luck needed to break it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm currently reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (Seabiscuit). It's a gripping saga of a one-time Olympic runner whose B24 crashes during World War II and how he survived that and the Japanese POW camps he was in. I'm about halfway through and it's very gripping.
    I had to put Boys of Summer on the back burner because this book became available after I placed a hold on it at the library, and I'd been anxious to read it. It might be the single most riveting book I've ever read. If it were a fictional story, no one would ever believe it. What Zamperini, the subject of the book, is forced to endure will astound you.

Not surprisingly, a movie adaptation is in the works.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Since over half of the kids I teach seem to be reading it or one of its sequels, I just started The Hunger Games. About what I expected so far. A little bleak for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I had to put Boys of Summer on the back burner because this book became available after I placed a hold on it at the library, and I'd been anxious to read it. It might be the single most riveting book I've ever read. If it were a fictional story, no one would ever believe it. What Zamperini, the subject of the book, is forced to endure will astound you.

Not surprisingly, a movie adaptation is in the works.
    Agree, very good and powerful book.

I'm reading "The Hunger Games" now. Seems to be a young adults dystopian vision of the future and a cross between Cormac McCarthy and Stephen King. Seeing there are 2 sequels, I kinda have an idea where the book goes. Reads fast. We have the second book and my wife just got the 3rd out of the library on a 14 day loan so I need to plow through this quickly.

And "Unbroken" is next on my stack. My wife's book club read it and she liked it which is quite unusual. She usually likes fuzzy puppy, unicorns, and rainbows stories or bodice rippers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Starting The Litigators Grisham's latest. So far I don't know where it is going.

Glad to hear good things about Unbroken. The book looked like a good read but I was curious as to how good it actually was.

La Dolce Vita

last summer i gave a copy of hillenbrand's "unbroken" to my brother-in-law when he was in the hospital for a heart valve replacement....when we went into his ccu room several hours after the surgery, he was reading away and already deep into it.
    teach tolerance.

Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won

It's written by an economist with help from an SI reporter. Just started it, but it's an interesting read so far. I heard about it when they interviewed the author on HBO Real Sports during a story about a high school football coach who has won three state championships, and he never punts and always onside kicks his kickoffs.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    She usually likes fuzzy puppy, unicorns, and rainbows stories or bodice rippers.
    Ha! That made me laugh.

Just picked up Kafka's The Trial and Witold Gombrowicz's Cosmos. Pretty excited about both.

Finished The Hunger Games. Nice Theseus Myth influence. Ending could have packed a little more punch, but hey, it's the first in a series.

Instead of reading the second, I'm digging in to an author I used to read a lot, but haven't in more than a decade, Phil Rickman.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Finished The Hunger Games. Nice Theseus Myth influence. Ending could have packed a little more punch, but hey, it's the first in a series.

Instead of reading the second, I'm digging in to an author I used to read a lot, but haven't in more than a decade, Phil Rickman.
    I was okay with The Hunger Games. It was overhyped but enjoyable. Many of my students loved it, but kids/people get caught up in hype.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?