Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Finished Ender's Game, started The Way of Kings last night. Its pretty good so far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reading "The Flamethrowers" by Rachel Kushner. I like it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Just finished Andre Agassi's book, really enjoyed it.

Got a Kindle, finally, for Christmas. Have been reading some Kindle singles which is fun, I love short stories. Anyone have any standout recommendations? Have been reading Stephen King and Joe Hill so far.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Based on a recommendation on here, I just started Leigh Montville's biography of Ted Williams. Really enjoying it so far.

In addition to Joyland by Stephen King, I am reading Practicing Sabermetrics: Putting the Science of Baseball Statistics to Work by Costa, Huber, and Saccoman. It is not as good as their first publication Understanding Sabermetrics, but it is pretty good.
    Last edited by Spitball; 01-29-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I am finishing a great baseball book called The PItch that Killed by Mike Sowell. It is about the only on field fatality in MLB history. The beaning and death of Ray Chapman in 1920. It goes into good depth of the events leading up to that moment and the aftermath of it. Good character studies of Chapman and Carl Mays the pitcher who hit him. If you like baseball history you should check this one out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I finished Joyland and have started John Grisham's Calico Joe.

I am a little more than halfway through it. It is historical fiction set in 1973 and about a rookie baseball player called up to the Cubs. The kid has a phenomenal start to his career and becomes a national hero.

Calico Joe's baseball exploits are hard to believe, but at this halfway point in the book, the plot is developing an interesting twist.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good westerns? [QUOTE]

Winding Stair by Douglas C. Jones is a really good read by a really good writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Just finished Andre Agassi's book, really enjoyed it.

Got a Kindle, finally, for Christmas. Have been reading some Kindle singles which is fun, I love short stories. Anyone have any standout recommendations? Have been reading Stephen King and Joe Hill so far.
    Have you read the Agassi's biographers memoir "The Tender Bar"? I really liked it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Finished H.G. Wells' "The Invisible Man" recently. I'd place it behind "The War of the Worlds" and "The Time Machine", but I still enjoyed it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Senor Votto

Started reading The Wolf of Wall Street. So far I like the movie better.

Read Tom Clancy's last novel "Command Authority".

Disturbingly close to what is happening to Ukraine and Russia now. I'm a little scared to see how it ends.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Kavalier and Clay. Just terrific. Feels like a grown-up version of books that I used to get lost in as a kid.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Kavalier and Clay. Just terrific. Feels like a grown-up version of books that I used to get lost in as a kid.
    Chabon can be laborious but he has a real knack for language and can construct a sentence like nobodies business. That book in particular has some real zingers. I loved it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Chabon can be laborious but he has a real knack for language and can construct a sentence like nobodies business. That book in particular has some real zingers. I loved it.
    Something about the sentence construction is what takes me back to books I loved as a kid. I can't put my finger on it but I think it just has to do with a sense of straightforward, old-fashioned storytelling, heightened by knack for language.

The funny thing is that the first Chabon book I read was his ACTUAL children's book, Summerland, which I was't crazy about. Which, baseball and imaginary lands and fairies, HELLO. Maybe my expectations were too high.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?