Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

I'm listening to The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron and reading A Princess of Mars. The Aaron book is pretty good so far and I'm enjoying Edgar Rice Burroughs' writing even if it is a bit dated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow, I am really surprised that The Art of Fielding has mostly lukewarm reception on this board (with a couple of exceptions). I've heard only the most glowing things about it. It's on my list, definitely.

I'm still piddling through my first Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls, which I think I posted about a gajillion months ago on this board. I'm almost done, partly because it has gotten better (just BLOW UP THE DAMN BRIDGE ALREADY), and partly because I'm eager to get to the Coco Chanel biography.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wow, I am really surprised that The Art of Fielding has mostly lukewarm reception on this board (with a couple of exceptions). I've heard only the most glowing things about it. It's on my list, definitely.

I'm still piddling through my first Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls, which I think I posted about a gajillion months ago on this board. I'm almost done, partly because it has gotten better (just BLOW UP THE DAMN BRIDGE ALREADY), and partly because I'm eager to get to the Coco Chanel biography.
    For me "The Art of Fielding" was mediocre at best. It starts out so promising, but about 1/3 of the way through it stops being a good baseball book and becomes something else. Some of the themes in the story are very "adult." Not that I couldn't deal with it, or even disagree with some of the things that occur, but they feel so forced. I also found that, by the end of the book I hated the main character. Others may feel differently, but my opinion is that 1/3 of the book is an above average baseball story, and the other 2/3 of the book is an overly complicated, and poorly written love story.
    Let's get weird!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

A good walk spoiled. - I am a bit behind on my reading list.

I could see someone being disappointed if they went into The Art of Fielding thinking it was a baseball book.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Speaking of baseball, it's a travesty that I haven't read "Boys of Summer" until now, but I'm about to start it.

Also, "Slam" by Nick Hornby. It's billed as a "young adult" novel and while I haven't fit into that category for quite some time, I'm a fan of Hornby's other work so I'm going to give it a try.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Thinking Fast and Slow.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I could see someone being disappointed if they went into The Art of Fielding thinking it was a baseball book.
    I remember being very excited when my eleventh grade teacher told us we would be reading Catcher in the Rye. I was hoping it was a baseball book, but I ended up enjoying the book anyway.

I was a stupid kid.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I hadn't read any reviews for The Art of Fielding, so yup I thought it was a "baseball" book. At it's core it is a story about baseball and baseball players, but I really wasn't expecting the book to develop the way it did. I guess I should've read more about it before buying it. I just didn't enjoy it. It's just my opinion, I was just trying to save someone else from having to slug through the whole thing.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Speaking of baseball, it's a travesty that I haven't read "Boys of Summer" until now, but I'm about to start it.
    I read it a long time ago. It's certainly worth your time. One of the best books, not just baseball, I have ever read.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I am almost finished reading this now. This is a good book to read if you cannot read a lot in one sitting. Multiple short story's of Tom Browning's life/career.

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Brownings-.../dp/1596700467

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I am almost finished reading this now. This is a good book to read if you cannot read a lot in one sitting. Multiple short story's of Tom Browning's life/career.

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Brownings-.../dp/1596700467

A must (easy) read for any Reds fan. But in reading I just don't think Browning was as candid as I would have liked.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    A good walk spoiled. - I am a bit behind on my reading list.
    Love this book. Feinstein has unfortunately turned into an ass these days, but this was him at his best. Fun read.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Mental Game of Baseball by H. A. Dorfman.

My son is reading The Mental ABC's of Pitching by Dorfman.

Turn Off Ads?