Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Will probably finish "Moneyball" tonight. Pretty good read. A re-read of "The Gates" by John Connolly is on deck. Not sure what I will read after that. Any ideas? I'll read pretty much anything.
    Let's get weird!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Snozzberries

You should try the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins if you don't mind fiction - Any other fans out there? I'm torn about whether to see the movie when it comes out...

La Dolce Vita

as a huge austen "p&p" fan, i'm just starting p.d. james' "death comes to pemberley"

also picked up a copy of mr. king's "11/22/63"..

(and, yep, still a chapter of "war and peace" per night )
    teach tolerance.

I gave "War and Peace" a shot in high school. I found it to be vastly overrated and hopelessly boring. Needless to say, I never finished.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Literati View Post
    You should try the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins if you don't mind fiction - Any other fans out there? I'm torn about whether to see the movie when it comes out...
    I really enjoyed the Hunger Games series. Great page-turners. I'm a fifth and sixth grade teacher and these books are definitely the hot things with the students the past couple years (A kid came to school in a "District 12 Tribute" t-shirt today). But the adults I know that have read them enjoy them just as much.

I'm a little surprised "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach hasn't been mentioned. Not a bad read. I'd recommend it for baseball fans that like fiction. Although it certainly isn't just a book about baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    I gave "War and Peace" a shot in high school. I found it to be vastly overrated and hopelessly boring. Needless to say, I never finished.
    I thought about giving that one a go. Anyone actually read it?
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    I'm a little surprised "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach hasn't been mentioned. Not a bad read. I'd recommend it for baseball fans that like fiction. Although it certainly isn't just a book about baseball.
    This is one of my favorite books I read this year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    I really enjoyed the Hunger Games series. Great page-turners. I'm a fifth and sixth grade teacher and these books are definitely the hot things with the students the past couple years (A kid came to school in a "District 12 Tribute" t-shirt today). But the adults I know that have read them enjoy them just as much.

My wife teaches 6th, 7th & 8th grade english. Like you, she has many students that love the series, and she enjoyed it as well. I believe there are several other teachers in her school that have read it and enjoyed it. IIRC, its kind of along the lines of the "Twighlight" series. I asked her if she thought I would enjoy it, but she didn't think it was up my ally, for whatever that's worth.

Just started the audio of "The Lost Gate", the first book in a new series by Orson Scott Card about a gifted young boy in a rural Virginia compound inhabited by the descendants of Norse gods. Very good beginning.OSC is an incredibly gifted writer.

Just finished up Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. It was a fantastic read and a look into the life of Jobs. I came away thinking that at times he could have been a jerk but was a visionary in the lines of Edison and Ford. Its a must read by anyone who knows anything about the Apple story.

Just finished "The Art of Fielding, " and "The Hunger Games." The Art of Fielding was mediocre, The Hunger Games started slow, but was really entertaining from 1/3 of the way through the book to the end. I will probably finish the series by the end of the month and will be looking for some more suggestions.
    Let's get weird!

Covered with Glory by Rod Gragg. Based on the history of the 26th N.C Regiment during The Civil War. Just completed the book.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Just finished up Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. It was a fantastic read and a look into the life of Jobs. I came away thinking that at times he could have been a jerk but was a visionary in the lines of Edison and Ford. Its a must read by anyone who knows anything about the Apple story.
    I came away from this thinking Jobs was bipolar and strongly disliking the guy. I am pretty sure he could have been just as successful while also being a good father. The yelling at employees stuff I'm less concerned with, but the way he treated his family at times was pretty shameless, especially his first daughter.

That being said, that's just my takeaway from the book. I'm sure the truth of his life is more complicated, it always is.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Snozzberries

Just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - highly recommend it. DFTBA!

Count me in as a Hunger Games fan as well, having read all three recently, and looking forward to the movie. Medford, I've never read/seen twilight, but I don't see many huge similarities myself. No vampires anyway. If you like post-apocalyptic fictions featuring totalitarian governments that hold annual games where children are thrown into an outdoor arena and forced to kill each other, I'd go for it.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?