Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    http://sabr.org/research/sabr-bookshelf

The SABR Bookshelf is a listing of books received at the SABR office
    I love the SABR Bookshelf. For those of you lucky enough to live in Cincinnati, the downtown public library is a spectacular place to hunt for many of those books. The main branch has a ton of baseball books from McFarland and various college presses, and the new releases area on the second floor always has a treasure or two.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just picked up the audiobook of Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I've been looking forward to reading it for some time.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Inside the Third Reich Memiors by Albert Speer. I'm about half way through it. Interesting book written by Speer while he was in prison for war crimes. Shows the inner workings of Hitler and all of his henchman. How they rose to power and watched it all slip away. I had known nothing about Speer before reading this book. He was basically Hitlers personal architect who he took an extreme liking to and eventually made him minister of armaments.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Good deals here:

http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/pag...eballSale.aspx

Great Steals on Baseball Books!

Save 25% off these baseball books! Enter the code 6TBASL in the discount code field of your shopping cart and click "update". Offer expires October 19, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just picked up the audiobook of Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I've been looking forward to reading it for some time.
    Really enjoyable, captivating book. Chabon does a good job of immersing you in the characters and their world.

In related news, I watched Wonder Boys the other day and enjoyed it a great deal.

I am finally reading The Corrections. Just started.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Great book. I found it to be considerably better than Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I thought this was great when I read it, I really don't know anymore. It's certainly a snapshot of how upper middle class families lived in America at one point in time. It kind of made me sad for the stability we have lost in this country, but then of course that only ever did exist for some anyway, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the takeaway I was supposed to have.

I worry people will read it in 100 years (which I think is likely) and think it's typical of the American experience around the turn of this century.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants". It's a reread, so that I can crank up book 2 of the trilogy that just came out yesterday. Guy can flat out write.

Has anyone read any Hubert Selby Jr.? He's got an extremely unorthodox writing style, very dark subject matter.

I think my favorites are The Demon and Last Exit to Brooklyn.

Recently started reading The Room, about a murderer's delusions and relived memories while locked in a cell.

Also the author of Requiem for a Dream, many have seen the movie I'm sure.

Idk how many people are into comic books on here but a month ago a 4 piece issue came out called "Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe." That's right Deadpool kills everyone of them....Captain America, Spiderman, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Venom, the X-Men, Fantastic Four all in such ingenious ways too since he knows all their weaknesses. Great read for die hard comic book fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Idk how many people are into comic books on here but a month ago a 4 piece issue came out called "Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe." That's right Deadpool kills everyone of them....Captain America, Spiderman, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Venom, the X-Men, Fantastic Four all in such ingenious ways too since he knows all their weaknesses. Great read for die hard comic book fans.
    There's a thread somewhere on this site for that genre, try the search function iirc it's quite long.... I'd give you the link but I'm phoning it now

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There's a thread somewhere on this site for that genre, try the search function iirc it's quite long.... I'd give you the link but I'm phoning it now
    thanks i found it

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I thought this was great when I read it, I really don't know anymore. It's certainly a snapshot of how upper middle class families lived in America at one point in time. It kind of made me sad for the stability we have lost in this country, but then of course that only ever did exist for some anyway, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the takeaway I was supposed to have.

I worry people will read it in 100 years (which I think is likely) and think it's typical of the American experience around the turn of this century.
    I plowed through this. I realize my Midwestern roots probably prejudice me in the nostalgic sense, but it devastated the everloving crap out of me. I agree with you that it's very much of its time. It may yet prove to be an unrelatable relic or a history lesson in the future -- I just hope it's saved by the quality of Franzen's writing, which, good lord, that guy can write.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I just finished "Being Wrong" by Kathryn Schulz. Captivating and humbling. After reading this, it's amazing that we're ever right about anything.

I'm a third of the way through Justin Cronin's "The Passage". This is the first book that has given me literal nightmares in quite some time. I've heard that the story abruptly shifts focus halfway through, causing many reader to put the book down in anger, but that it's worth sticking with to the end. Also, a sequel has either just come out or is about to do so. I'm staying up late reading this.

Thus the nightmares.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?