Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    After watching The Pacific, I decided to pick up With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge. I'm just getting ready to start it.
    After watching it, I did the same thing. If you like very honest war memoirs, you'll like his.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just started 'The Hidden Reality' by Brian Greene. If you've read it, don't tell me how it ends. I want to see if I can find reality by following the clues as I go along.

(It might not be that kind of book in this universe, but somewhere it is.)
    Last edited by tixe; 05-03-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Wrong dimension.

I hope they serve beer in hell-Tucker Max
    not exactly high brow reading But a funny read never the less

Just finished Live Wire by Harlan Coben. They Myron Bolitar series is probably my favorite all time series. It seems like this may have been the last book which is disappointing.

Just started The Sixth Man by David Baldacci. I am only 20 pages in right now.

Finally finishing up Vollman's Europe Central. Hell of a writer, but it's just such a dense book in a number of ways. Tough read.

Next up William's Stoner, JPS's The Wall, and Kotlowitz's There Are No Children Here.

Reading The Snowball: Warren Buffet and the Business of Life
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Code to zero by Ken Follett.

Definently an easy read, pretty captivating, I think I finished out the last 250 pages in one sitting (I typically read about 20-40 pages of any book at a time, if that much). I'd definently qualify it as a page turner. Overall its, pretty good, not great, but an easy enjoyable read.

Started "Born with a tooth" a collection of short stories by Joseph Boyden. I've read his "3 day road" previously which I highly recommend (well unless you're easily turned off by the graphic description of some activities in WW1), so we'll see how this goes.

I'm also about half way thru undaunted courage, by the same author of Band of Brothers, about Lewis & Clark's expedition across America. A very entertaining historical read, using the excerpts of Lewis & Clark's writings to depict what that journey felt like. Ed Norton & Brad Pitt alegedly picked up the "movie rights" and were in talks w/ HBO to develop a series, but I haven't seen anything additional for quite some time, thinking taking this book to HBO has been put up on the shelf, hopefully not permanetly
    Last edited by medford; 05-10-2011 at 02:27 PM.

n/m

La Dolce Vita

tina fey's "bossypants", which i got for mother's day. hmm.. that must mean something.

of course, it's one lol after another.
    teach tolerance.

Im reading Liberty Defined by Ron Paul. This man is a modern day Founding Father. Talks about 50 essential issues that affect our freedom. Great book so far.

"Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough. I've like everything I have read so far by McCullough. Truman, John Adams and 1776 were all superb. 1776 little less so but good anyway.
    This is about the young life of Theodore Roosevelt. Just getting started but its an interesting read but a little slow at the start.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The glass is 1/3 full....

My book. I'm a budding author.
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

Just finished Carl Hiaasen's latest "Star Island". Lots of drugs, booze, and sex and a pop star named Cherry Pye.

Pretty good, outrageous characters, some snort laugh moments, but ultimately went nowhere. Hiassen fans will like it, others ought to start with his better books.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Just finished "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King. 4 very spooky novellas.

I was a little surprised I liked it so much. The first story "1922" reads like a Springsteen "Nebraska"-era song. Plus rats. Second is "Big Driver", a brutal tale of rape and revenge. 3rd is "Fair Extension" or how far would you go to save your own life. Last is "A Good Marriage", a very chilling look at how well do you think you know your spouse.

All good yarns in modern King form. Sometimes I like it when he boils his stories down from 750+ page epics to a short form. I liked it a lot.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Anyone read the new Bill James non-baseball book, Popular Crime? Everything from Lizzie Borden to the Kennedy assassination to Jonbenet Ramsey. I'm not buying everything he's selling, but it's a fun read.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?