Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Just finished "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" by Brady Udall. Liked it a lot but not as much as "The Lonely Polygamist"
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

"The Line" by Olga Grushin. I am bored so far. This seems to be a trend in my reading these days. Maybe it's me. My friend who recommended it to me has promised that it is slow going in the beginning but gets better.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

just finished a neat book about baseball, cuba, and 1964. refers to the reds throughout, and especially pete. got it on kindle for 99 cents. well worth a buck.
    summer with fidel by r.g. lawrence

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-With-Fi...1312525&sr=1-2

Quote Originally Posted by hoopfan1952 View Post
    just finished a neat book about baseball, cuba, and 1964. refers to the reds throughout, and especially pete. got it on kindle for 99 cents. well worth a buck.
    summer with fidel by r.g. lawrence

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-With-Fi...1312525&sr=1-2
    Pete learned to play a passable 2nd base from a Cuban infielder coach IIRC

I'm reading Crazy 08, about the 1908 Pennant Race

I'm almost finished with In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. The book tells the story of Ambassador Dodd and his family in 1930s Berlin. Well worth a read if you like US or German history.

all of harlan coben books are great. love his myron bolitar series. action, mystery and sports themes.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Just finished "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" by Brady Udall. Liked it a lot but not as much as "The Lonely Polygamist"
    ah, interested to hear that, pedro. i loved "the lonely polygamist" also.

now reading the richard pevear and larissa volokhonsky translation of "war and peace" (only read an abridged version in the past) read their "anna karenina" several yrs ago...really good.

also found my son's old copy of "the phantom tollbooth" i'm starting..noted it's the 50th anniversary ..jules feiffer illustrations are terrific.
    teach tolerance.

Long flight today from Portland to NYC and knocked off a good bit of Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Spectacular is the first word that comes to mind.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Long flight today from Portland to NYC and knocked off a good bit of Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Spectacular is the first word that comes to mind.
    I'd be interested to hear your opinion upon finishing.

La Dolce Vita

i thought he got it right..in fact, it's a little too close to home on occasion.
    teach tolerance.

Just finished off "Moneyball".

Couple of thoughts about it.
    -I enjoyed reading it a decade after the fact. It was fun reading about the greatness of Jermane Dye and Ray Durham.

-I there were times in which I thought I was reading some redszoners posts.

-Michael Lewis is a very good author but he also is a very arrogant author.

-I would have loved to see an epilogue written 5-10 years after the publish date.

-Youk for Billy Beane would have been one interesting trade.

-JP Ricciardi and Keith Law being talked about as baseball savants.

-No mention of PED's. I actually would love to hear Michael Lewis talk about the prevalence, or lack there of, of PED's while he was writing the book.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 11-22-2011 at 03:00 PM.

The Last Voyage of Columbus - 5/5 good stuff.
    Endurance, Shackelton's Incredible Voyage. About 3/4 the way through and its pretty good.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Stephen King's new one, 11/22/63. I'm about 70% through it, it's been an awesome read.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Stephen King's new one, 11/22/63. I'm about 70% through it, it's been an awesome read.
    That looked good. Seems more like a Christmas break project though.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Finished listening to Ron Chernow's Washington. One of the best historical bios of the period I've read. The narrator could be a bit off-putting with overly-correct pronunciations (kind of funny hearing him say "Saint Domingue" in a way that would leave anyone who didn't already know where the slave revolt in question took place clueless just weeks after hearing Gordon S. Wood talk about the same thing while pronouncing this in a very American Way), but otherwise the book was absolutely engaging.

Just started listening to Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" for a change of pace.

Juggling a couple of "real" books as well, but neither is particularly compelling.

Turn Off Ads?