Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

I finished Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian". All told, I can't say I was overly impressed. He's obviously an incredibly gifted writer, but dystopia and gore have their limits. I'd be interested in hearing recommendations on another McCarthy book, perhaps something in a more modern setting (and neither of the novels adapted to film).

I'm about 25 pages into Maugham's "The Razor's Edge". I read a profile of Maugham a while back and found myself immediately intrigued. When I get the time, I'm really excited to read "Of Human Bondage".

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just stopped reading "Atlas Shrugged", tortured myself for 3 weeks trying to plow through that dreck. Wow, it has to be the worst book I've ever had the displeasure of opening. Beginner prose. Complete garbage. I did minimal research online and saw it was the favorite book of quite a lot of individuals. Poor fools. It was flat pathetic.

Ulysses by James Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Wow, it has to be the worst book I've ever had the displeasure of opening.

I'm about a third of the way through Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. So far, excellent book by a talented writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Started "Cat's Cradle" last night. That's why I love Vonnegut, it just flows.
    You're gonna love it. I think it is Vonnegut's deepest book but is also very funny.

"Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose. Top notch.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    You're gonna love it. I think it is Vonnegut's deepest book but is also very funny.
    Indeed, definitely a great, quick read. Midgets, atom bombs, religion, apocalyptic situations.... classic Vonnegut. It's quite a transition going from writing of that quality to "atlas shrugged".

I'm now reading some fiction... starting off with Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. Pretty entertaining but I got a head start by looking at some of the clips from the BBC special shown a couple months ago on youtube.
    Finished reading that... I'm now on the next book by Pratchett... "Making Money". I'm a third of the way through and I'm already debating whether to start all the way at the beginning of the series (Discworld) next...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Just finished "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest". Not quite as good as the first 2 (IMHO) but still great fun to read. Highly recommend the Lisbeth Salander series.

Started "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver. Excellent so far.

But then I made the mistake of accompanying the spousal unit to the library and picked up the latest Dale Brown book (Executive Intent) and Dan Brown book (The Lost Symbol). Mindless summer reads but sometimes I need that over serious reading. I'll probably polish them off in a fw days and get back to the Kingsolver book.

The Reds playing on the west coast cuts into my reading time.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Anthony Bourdain - Medium Raw

I like it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Truman by David McCullough

At the risk of sounding like a doting parent (which I absolutely am), I recommend my daughter's blog about her first year in medical school. This is the 9th day, I believe, and she's already had a big test and today she got her cadaver. (She is at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine.)

If you've ever wondered what med school is like, give it a try. Or if you know someone who is interested in med school, please share.

She's only made a couple of entries so far, but she's a good writer.
    Two Bugs and a Locust
    Last edited by MississippiRed; 08-26-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

Aedan05

Just finished Pillars of the Earth. Picked it up thinking I would never have time...finished it in 3 days.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I just finished "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and must say...I didn't get it.
    Also just finished "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. It has it's moments, but it isn't his best work.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I've owned Pillars of the Earth for about six years but haven't started reading it yet.

This is strange to say, but Under the Dome, coming in at apx. 424,515 pages, needed to be longer. Stephen King seemed to give up on bringing the thing to a logical conclusion and just burned it all down.

As to not getting The Hitchhiker's Guide, you clearly need to find a deserted island and maroon yourself with the first three books and the original radio shows and not leave the island until you finally get it. Until you do, your life will be nothing but an answer with no question, a mediocre Vogon sonnet, a postcard of a cathedral that has been made to have never existed, a ride through the space-time continuum on Eddie's couch.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?