Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I was okay with The Hunger Games. It was overhyped but enjoyable. Many of my students loved it, but kids/people get caught up in hype.
    Yep, I finished it last night. A fun read but didn't make the earth move under my feet.

But I can also see how teens would relate to the themes in the book more than a 59-year old fossil like me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yep, I finished it last night. A fun read but didn't make the earth move under my feet.

But I can also see how teens would relate to the themes in the book more than a 59-year old fossil like me.
    Hmmm...you may have something there. I turn 59 in two weeks.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Zoinks!

Just finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill and am now about 1/2 way through Hill's second novel, Horns. Both very good reads

Joe Hill is terrific.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm reading Rise To Rebellion by Jeff Shaara. I've always enjoyed how both Jeff and his father take you inside the mind of historical figures.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Joe Hill is terrific.

Very. These first two books I've not been able to put down

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm reading Rise To Rebellion by Jeff Shaara. I've always enjoyed how both Jeff and his father take you inside the mind of historical figures.
    This and its follow-on "The Glorious Cause" are very interesting books.

I remember thinking as I read these books "refresh my memory, we did win the American Revolution, didn't we??!?". The revolutionaries got their butts kicked for quite a while till the tide finally turned.

I think I've read all of Jeff Shaara's books. Not quite as good as his dad, but still good. His latest one about the Marines on Okinawa in WWII is very good.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Love this book. Feinstein has unfortunately turned into an ass these days, but this was him at his best. Fun read.
    I'm not enjoying it any near as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because so much time has lapsed and I know how most of the careers of the players turn out.

Maybe I am just getting grumpy.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I was okay with The Hunger Games. It was overhyped but enjoyable. Many of my students loved it, but kids/people get caught up in hype.
    Is it truly possible to hate the subject of a book, but enjoy the storytelling? I hated the whole "fight to the death for entertainment" and apocalyptic dictatorship basis of the Hunger Games books, but am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 3rd book from Amazon in order to find out how it ends....

The entire series also reminds me of some of the Stephen King shorts like the Long Walk and Running Man, and Shirley Jackson's Lottery.

and sadly, given the more and more extreme forms of reality "entertainment" I can really seeing something like this happening in the not so distant future.

Re-reading Gods & Generals by Jeff Shaara.

Now that he's finished with his WWII books, he's going back to the civil war with a trilogy of books dealing with the Civil War in the west.

"Destiny of the Republic" about the events surrounding the assassination of Garfield (the president, not the cat, though Odie was a suspect.) Very good. The author, Candice Millard, seems to have been influenced ht "The Devil in the White City".

Oh, and I'm finally reading 'The Machine". Unbelievable how many of the games I remember specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Is it truly possible to hate the subject of a book, but enjoy the storytelling? I hated the whole "fight to the death for entertainment" and apocalyptic dictatorship basis of the Hunger Games books, but am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 3rd book from Amazon in order to find out how it ends....

The entire series also reminds me of some of the Stephen King shorts like the Long Walk and Running Man, and Shirley Jackson's Lottery.

and sadly, given the more and more extreme forms of reality "entertainment" I can really seeing something like this happening in the not so distant future.
    I am surprisingly enjoying the Hunger Games. When I started to read it I was reminded right away about Lottery which I had read years ago in high school.

I read The Long Walk back in HS and I thought it was a full legnth novel. I hadn't thought about a connection between the two at the time but I think it is even more correlated than the Lottery.

I'm working on Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. You don't read it, you work it, it's 1000 plus pages with footnotes. I'm enjoying it and hope to finish it one day.
    Where we gonna go?

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'm working on Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. You don't read it, you work it, it's 1000 plus pages with footnotes. I'm enjoying it and hope to finish it one day.
    you sound like my son-in-law..he's been "working" it for about the past 9 mo. now...but still trudges onward...some light reading while dealing with a new job and a new baby.
    teach tolerance.

Good luck. I've had a couple of false starts involving Infinite Jest.

Turn Off Ads?