Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    I've discovered Greg Iles. Just finished True Evil, and am debating between Black Cross or Blood Memory as the next one....
    I "discovered" him a couple years ago and powered through three of his books before realizing I didn't like them. However, Blood Memory is the best of what I read of his.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Late to this discussion:

I got on a Vonnegut kick recently and re-read Slaughterhouse Five and am reading Cat's Cradle for the first time. I don't know what it is about that man, his quiet humor sometimes just falls right into my wheelhouse.

I'm on somewhat of a fiction revival after several years of almost exclusively non-fiction reading. Catcher in the Rye was the book that took me here. I just bought Calico Joe and 11/22/63.

I genuinely liked The Art of Fielding, although I agree with whoever said the main character began wearing on him. I identified much more strongly with Schwartz.

Steve Jobs was outstanding. I couldn't put it down. I immediately bought Isaacsons's biography of Ben Franklin; haven't started it yet.

The Hunger Games was a typically solid YA fiction novel. The writing was subpar, but the story was really engaging and at times deeply disturbing. Wish I could have said the same for the sequels.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The Corrections

Franzen. How have I not read this before? So good.

Just started the second book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, A Clash of Kings.

It makes the TV show that much better.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Just finished "The Art of Fielding". Absolutely loved the first quarter, liked the second quarter, the third quarter got pretty muddled, but it ended well. Not the home run that some critics called it, but a trple withe a close play on the slide. Very John Irving-ish.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 05-02-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Just finished "The Art of Fielding". Absolutely loved the first quarter, liked the second quarter, the third quarter got pretty muddled, but it ended well. Not the home run that some critics called it, but a trple withe a close play on the slide. Very John Irving-ish.
    Just got this one from the library. Looking forward to it, esp. after you made the John Irving comparison.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Let the Great World Spin. McCann's a talented writer.

Thirty something years ago, I started reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. My paperback disappeared, and I always blamed my friend John who was always picking it up when I put it down. Well, I was going through some boxes and found the worn and yellowed copy in an old box of college texts.

I am only on page 36 (this time), but it is a great read.

Btw, Kerouac was a friend of my college writing teacher at Salem State in Salem, Massachusetts.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Just finished Lonesome Dove. Just a truly awesome book and I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. It's definitely a bear to get through in terms of the time to take to read it. It's definitely one of the top 3 books I read and I look forward to seeing the mini-series.

Anyone have good recommendations on coaching books to read? I've heard bill Walsh's book is great. Any others.

(I read Bo Schembechler's last book he wrote and thought that was wonderful.)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Anyone have good recommendations on coaching books to read? I've heard bill Walsh's book is great. Any others.

(I read Bo Schembechler's last book he wrote and thought that was wonderful.)
    Just finished, Sparky and Me by Dan Ewald. I thorougly enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Thirty something years ago, I started reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. My paperback disappeared, and I always blamed my friend John who was always picking it up when I put it down. Well, I was going through some boxes and found the worn and yellowed copy in an old box of college texts.

I am only on page 36 (this time), but it is a great read.

Btw, Kerouac was a friend of my college writing teacher at Salem State in Salem, Massachusetts.
    On the Road is one of those books I love to sink into to hear the rhythm of the words. My last presentation as an undergraduate had to do with the influence of Walt Whitman's "Song of the Open Road" on Kerouac.

Right now I'm reading "Insurrection" by Peter Rollins and "1861" by Adam Goodheart. Both take bold, controversial approaches to their subject matter. Rollins is teaching me that I don't think half as deeply as I believed and Goodheart is teaching me that, even as much as I have read, there are still many surprising things about the beginning of the Civil War that are new to me.
    Last edited by tixe; 05-28-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Snozzberries

Anyone else excited for JK Rowling's new book "The Casual Vacancy"?

Right now, I'm reading this forum.....

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    On the Road is one of those books I love to sink into to hear the rhythm of the words. My last presentation as an undergraduate had to do with the influence of Walt Whitman's "Song of the Open Road" on Kerouac.

Right now I'm reading "Insurrection" by Peter Rollins and "1861" by Adam Goodheart. Both take bold, controversial approaches to their subject matter. Rollins is teaching me that I don't think half as deeply as I believed and Goodheart is teaching me that, even as much as I have read, there are still many surprising things about the beginning of the Civil War that are new to me.
    Now I am reading Why Kerouac Matters: The Lessons of On the Road (They're Not What You Think) by John Leland.

I am truly loving this book after reading On the Road. I disagree with some of his insight, but it is a very interesting post read.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?