Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

For a Level Playing Field

Re: What are you reading now?

"Heaven and Hell" by Don Felder (once of the Eagles). If you are an Eagles fan (I am not BTW), you should read this book.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A few chapters into "Brothers, Rivals, and Friends" by Jonathan Jordan. It's a book about Eisenhower, Patton, and Bradley and the relationship they had going back to the end of WWI and how those relationships drive their leadership of WWII in Europe. Really good do far....definitely interesting to see the correspondence between Ike and Patton that began almost 20 years before the war started predicting the war and how it would be fought. It's not Jefferson-Adams but still fascinating.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

A few chapters into "Brothers, Rivals, and Friends" by Jonathan Jordan. It's a book about Eisenhower, Patton, and Bradley and the relationship they had going back to the end of WWI and how those relationships drive their leadership of WWII in Europe. Really good do far....definitely interesting to see the correspondence between Ike and Patton that began almost 20 years before the war started predicting the war and how it would be fought. It's not Jefferson-Adams but still fascinating.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

"The Gentleman's Hour" by Don Winslow. Its the same guy who wrote "Savages" which is being released shortly as a movie. Different cast of characters (same and "The Dawn Patrol") but very enjoyable. He has a slightly different writing style but is a very good story teller.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    And while I am usually all for finding gender neutral terms for some people & their jobs (e.g. police officer, fire fighter, councilmember, etc.), the writer's use of "freshperson" is so wooden and clunky, it falls with a thud from the page (a point a number of reviewers mentioned).
    In fairness, that's probably a dig at many liberal arts schools who are taking it upon themselves to be the gender-neutral police. At the school where I work, we say "first-years." I hate it, but it's how we roll.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I just finished Ball Four, which I somehow had missed over the years, and what a great book. It seems tame today as far as pulling back the curtain goes, but there are some GREAT stories in there, and I learned more about the knuckleball than I ever have. I'm sure pretty much everyone here has read it.

Now starting Calico Joe for airplane reading this weekend.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Jeez, old ladies, get a kindle or nook like the rest of us literary pervs.

Pretty sweet you've written a book, something I've always wanted to try.
    A lot of them do, but then they have trouble downloading the book, and then they call. What they don't seem to realize is that the people at amazon can see their purchase history.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I just finished Ball Four, which I somehow had missed over the years, and what a great book. It seems tame today as far as pulling back the curtain goes, but there are some GREAT stories in there, and I learned more about the knuckleball than I ever have. I'm sure pretty much everyone here has read it.

Now starting Calico Joe for airplane reading this weekend.
    I got the kindle edition of Ball Four a while back, but I still haven't read it.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Radio Reader is doing Calico Joe currently. Nobody can kill a book like the Radio Reader.

I'm presently reading Finance and the Good Society. Not exactly a thriller, but I'm reviewing it for a Journal. Getting paid to read is pretty cool.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The New Deal: A Modern History - Michael Hiltzik
    Baseball in the Garden of Eden - John Thorne
    Connie Mack and the Early Years of Baseball - Norman Mache

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Just finished "The Art of Fielding". Absolutely loved the first quarter, liked the second quarter, the third quarter got pretty muddled, but it ended well. Not the home run that some critics called it, but a trple withe a close play on the slide. Very John Irving-ish.
    I finally got around to reading "The Art of Fielding" and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I think it's a beautifully written book, and I agree about the John Irving-ness of it. In fact, one can only assume Harbach is a big John Irving fan, considering that a few elements of the book are a not-so-subtle nod to Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany."

Despite the length of the book, I never felt like it was a struggle to get through, though I guess some of the relationshipy stuff dragged at times. Each time I put it down, I couldn't wait to get back to it. I'll definitely read this author's next book.

Now it's on to something a bit lighter: "Big Hair and Plastic Grass: A Funky Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70s." And next up after that, "Hound of the Baskervilles."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Portrait of a Lady. Henry James is the definition of telling, not showing, and there are some jarring jumps in time with no warning or explanation. that said, dang, this is a good book.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris. This is the second installment in a 3 volume set.

I would highly recommend the first volume - The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Portrait of a Lady. Henry James is the definition of telling, not showing, and there are some jarring jumps in time with no warning or explanation. that said, dang, this is a good book.
    must have read that in about 3 different lit. classes over the years...and, dang, you're right, it is a good book..hadn't thought about isabel archer in ages..
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    must have read that in about 3 different lit. classes over the years...and, dang, you're right, it is a good book..hadn't thought about isabel archer in ages..
    I still haven't finished it but I continue to be floored by it. I can hardly believe this book was written in the 19th century -- it feels so modern, without feeling out of its time, and the psychological insight is astounding. It's just resonating a lot with me. I read Washington Square probably 10 years ago; I liked it, but I don't remember being nearly so bowled over by its prescience. What's the next James I should read?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?