Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 875

Thread: What are you reading now?

  1. #601
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: What are you reading now?

    I just finished Max Brooks's World War Z, and it was outstanding. There's some really terrifying stuff in there, and the political commentary is spot on.

    That said, I have no earthly idea how they made a movie about it. I was excited by the trailer when I first saw it, but now that I've read the book, it seems like it may bear little to no resemblance.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  2. Likes:

    TSJ55 (05-21-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #602
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I just finished Max Brooks's World War Z, and it was outstanding. There's some really terrifying stuff in there, and the political commentary is spot on.

    That said, I have no earthly idea how they made a movie about it. I was excited by the trailer when I first saw it, but now that I've read the book, it seems like it may bear little to no resemblance.
    Concur on all points.

    I'm fully expecting "WWZ" to be as poorly done as the adaptation of Hunter S Thompsons "Rum Diaries" book to movie.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  5. #603
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,174

    Re: What are you reading now?

    World War Z scared the hell out of me when I read it. Like, not turn off the lights kind of scared.

    I read Tom Clancy's "Threat Vector". Pretty decent. Not as good as his early books, but better than his books written the last 15 years or so. Co-authored by Mark Greaney and I'd say he wrote 75% of the book.

    Reading Oliver Stone's "Untold History of the United States" now. Certainly a different revisionist look at US history of the last 100 years. Some of it I agree with, other parts I don't. Interesting though.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  6. #604
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Just started Stephen Kings Under the Dome..so far so good
    Isn't that going to be a movie soon?

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  7. #605
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    297

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Isn't that going to be a movie soon?

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Its going to be a TV show. Big Jim Rennie is going to be played by Dean Norris(hank from breaking bad) . Although I hate Jim Rennie, Dean Norris is going to do one hell of a job in that role. But I dont know how well the show will end up. Alot of the best parts in the book were of peoples thoughts. But nonetheless. Great Book. The whole time you are just shaking your head wondering how Big Jim is getting away with all that he is doing. Hes on one big power trip the whole book.

    Now its time for me to move onto The Stand by Stephen King

  8. #606
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: What are you reading now?

    "Skinny Legs and All" was waiting on my doorstep yesterday afternoon. I've got a long weekend planned but will start it when I get back home.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  9. #607
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,394

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Just received an advance e-copy of The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business, due out in Sept.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  10. #608
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,872

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Michael Chabon's "Manhood for Amateurs," a series of essays relaying the author's experiences and observations on being a father, son, and husband. Wasn't sure how I'd like it but I really enjoyed his novels "Wonder Boys" and "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay," so I decided to give his nonfiction a shot. I'm glad I did; Chabon is just such an excellent writer.

    Next up, it's back to another Chabon novel, "The Yiddish Policemen's Union," followed by Otto Apel and Pat Apel's "MASH: An Army Surgeon in Korea."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  11. #609
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Just finished 'Calico Joe', by John Gresham, the fictional work about a baseball phenom whose career was derailed by a bean ball.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  12. #610
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,830

    Re: What are you reading now?

    The Press Box by Leonard Koppett
    The Powers that Be - By David Halberstam
    In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food

  13. #611
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,174

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Its going to be a TV show. Big Jim Rennie is going to be played by Dean Norris(hank from breaking bad) . Although I hate Jim Rennie, Dean Norris is going to do one hell of a job in that role. But I dont know how well the show will end up. Alot of the best parts in the book were of peoples thoughts. But nonetheless. Great Book. The whole time you are just shaking your head wondering how Big Jim is getting away with all that he is doing. Hes on one big power trip the whole book.

    Now its time for me to move onto The Stand by Stephen King
    Under The Dome was pretty good. But like a lot of King's books, he sets an awesome stage, but doesn't know how to end it.

    The Stand is one of my all time faves. I'd love to be reading it for the first time now.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  14. #612
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    297

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Under The Dome was pretty good. But like a lot of King's books, he sets an awesome stage, but doesn't know how to end it.

    The Stand is one of my all time faves. I'd love to be reading it for the first time now.
    Yea. I wish he would have ended it another way. The whole time you Hate Big Jim and then he doesnt really get what he deserves. And the whole leatherhead kids thing,meh, I can just tell this TV show is going to be 1 season and end around halloween.

  15. #613
    Member Moosie52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    579

    Re: What are you reading now?

    Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Yea. I wish he would have ended it another way. The whole time you Hate Big Jim and then he doesnt really get what he deserves. And the whole leatherhead kids thing,meh, I can just tell this TV show is going to be 1 season and end around halloween.

    I read 1963 recently. In the notes, King states that his son wrote the ending, because the original was too depressing. The book ends on a peaceful note, quite unusual for a King novel.

  16. #614
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,158

    Re: What are you reading now?

    I'm reading "Secrets" by Daniel Ellsberg, as if I weren't cynical enough, and "Soul Survivor" by Philip Yancey, which is actually easing the cynicism a bit.

    Both are excellent so far.

  17. #615
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: What are you reading now?

    I've been delving into a lot of Asimov lately. His writing still excites after all these years, even if some of it is a bit corny.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25