Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

I am currently reading this book. It's Cap Ansons autobiography written 1900. This was a free book on Kindle. It's really a good history on baseball before the turn of the 20th century. He tells a lot about the players of that time and you can certainly get a feel for how much the game evolved during this time. I am on the part now about a around the world trip he took with his Chicago team and a group of all stars. They literally went around the world playing exhibitions. Its a fascinating read. Also his bigotry comes out quite often when he discusses African Americans. That was certainly the bad side of him that has reflected poorly over the years on him and baseball.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am finally reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and I am really enjoying it. It's so epic and all over the place that I'm having a hard time seeing how it would translate to a movie.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I am currently reading this book. It's Cap Ansons autobiography written 1900. This was a free book on Kindle. It's really a good history on baseball before the turn of the 20th century. He tells a lot about the players of that time and you can certainly get a feel for how much the game evolved during this time. I am on the part now about a around the world trip he took with his Chicago team and a group of all stars. They literally went around the world playing exhibitions. Its a fascinating read. Also his bigotry comes out quite often when he discusses African Americans. That was certainly the bad side of him that has reflected poorly over the years on him and baseball.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    John Montgomery Ward, Johnny Evers and Christy Mathewson all have similar books, very awesome

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    John Montgomery Ward, Johnny Evers and Christy Mathewson all have similar books, very awesome
    I just bought this one for Kindle about that same trip. After reading Ansons book I went out to see if there was another one about that trip. This is what I found. Looking forward to reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/Spaldings-Worl...ound+the+world
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I am finally reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and I am really enjoying it. It's so epic and all over the place that I'm having a hard time seeing how it would translate to a movie.
    Surprisingly well I thought. The fact that it's directed and acted extremely well certainly helped.

Inferno by Dan Brown. Better than Lost Code so far (I'm only about 100 pages in)

If nothing else, Brown's books make me learn something about art. I've been keeping a list of these masterpiece sculptures and paintings he mentions to look for and read up on! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Inferno by Dan Brown. Better than Lost Code so far (I'm only about 100 pages in)

If nothing else, Brown's books make me learn something about art. I've been keeping a list of these masterpiece sculptures and paintings he mentions to look for and read up on! lol!
    I am about half way though Inferno. I always look forward to reading Brown's books. They are full of historical information that make the books informative as well as interesting. Both the Lost Code and Inferno don't hold a candle to Angles and Demons and The DaVinci Code but are good reads. I wish this book would have been out a few years ago before I went to Florence.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Got Jim Gaffigan's "Dad is Fat". Very entertaining read from one of today's best. The letter he writes to his kids to start is worth the price of the book.
    Witty signature.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I binge-read Stephen King's 11/22/63 over the weekend, and loved it. I'm a sucker for time travel, and his world of the late 50s/early 60s delighted me. As a fan of a couple of King's other big novels, there were some fun cameos in there, too. Curious to see what others thought about it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Rant by Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Rant by Palahniuk
    I mistakenly started reading 'Haunted' a few years ago and haven't recovered. I kept reading ahead, seeing if the stories got any easier to take, but they didn't.

One of the few writers who pushes the envelope to the point that I fall out, broken on the floor.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I mistakenly started reading 'Haunted' a few years ago and haven't recovered. I kept reading ahead, seeing if the stories got any easier to take, but they didn't.

One of the few writers who pushes the envelope to the point that I fall out, broken on the floor.
    I love his writing. Invisible Monsters was so good I had to pick up the "remix" version. Choke is my All Time Favorite though followed closely by fight club. I want to read survivor and haunted and everything else he has come out with

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Rant by Palahniuk
    Maybe my favorite fiction ever.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

This is one that I read a couple years ago and I wondered if anyone else here has read it: "Kings of Infinite Space" by James Hynes. I really enjoyed Hynes's scary and funny twist on the soul-sucking experience of a guy working in an anonymous cubicle office setting. Here's the summary from GoodReads:

Paul Trilby is having a bad day. If he were to be honest with himself, Paul Trilby would have to admit that he's having a bad life. His wife left him. Three subsequent girlfriends left him. He's fallen from a top-notch university teaching job, to a textbook publisher, to, eventually, working as a temp writer for the Texas Department of General Services. And even here, in this land of carpeted partitions and cheap lighting fixtures, Paul cannot escape the curse his life has become. For it is not until he begins a tentative romance with the office's sassy mail girl that he begins to notice things are truly wrong. Strange sounds come from the air conditioning vents, the ceiling bulges, a body disappears. Mysterious men lurk about town, wearing thick glasses and pocket protectors...

Kings of Infinite Space is a hilarious and horrifying spoof on our everyday lives and gives true voice to the old adage, "Work is Hell."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Got Jim Gaffigan's "Dad is Fat". Very entertaining read from one of today's best. The letter he writes to his kids to start is worth the price of the book.
    Been listening to a lot of standup recently. Really dig him

Turn Off Ads?