Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers.

I thought it was excellent.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

American Notes by Charles Dickens. It's an account of his visits to the States.

Bonus points: He seemed to hate people from St. Louis.

Just purchased the following three books:

Tenth of December - Saunders
    The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards - Jansma
    Cooked - Pollan

Neuromancer - Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This is one that I read a couple years ago and I wondered if anyone else here has read it: "Kings of Infinite Space" by James Hynes. I really enjoyed Hynes's scary and funny twist on the soul-sucking experience of a guy working in an anonymous cubicle office setting. Here's the summary from GoodReads:
    I don't know it and may check it out. Have you read Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris? Sounds like a similar setup from the office standpoint, thought it focuses on several people. I thought it was pretty sharp and surprisingly moving.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't know it and may check it out. Have you read Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris? Sounds like a similar setup from the office standpoint, thought it focuses on several people. I thought it was pretty sharp and surprisingly moving.
    I have not read the book by Ferris but it is now on my "to-read" list. Thanks for the suggestion!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Final Dark Tower book ....... finally.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Caesar's Gallic Wars (In Latin mostly)...again

I hope Caesar wins... (even though my avatar didn't)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I finished Tom Robbins' Skinny Legs and All last night. Some of the best descriptive passages, analogies, metaphors, scene-setting I've ever read. Extremely good read IMO!

Will start Kings of Infinite Space this afternoon/evening on Redszone recommendation.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I finished Tom Robbins' Skinny Legs and All last night. Some of the best descriptive passages, analogies, metaphors, scene-setting I've ever read. Extremely good read IMO!

Will start Kings of Infinite Space this afternoon/evening on Redszone recommendation.
    I inhaled all those Robbins books back in the day and loved the education in the midst if the plots anarchy

12. Likes:

Roy Tucker (07-20-2013),TSJ55 (07-18-2013)

I've had Gordon S. Wood's "Empire of Liberty" on the shelf for a while and finally started reading it yesterday. The beginning is a bit deep, but comprehensible. I do hope he gets into more narrative as the book goes along.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Final Dark Tower book ....... finally.
    I threw that book at the wall when I finished it. Literally. I was so pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I inhaled all those Robbins books back in the day and loved the education in the midst if the plots anarchy
    Yup, me too. I was a big fan of his for a couple years.

Chuck Palahniuk said at the comic con this weekend he is writing a graphic novel sequel to fight club

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    American Notes by Charles Dickens. It's an account of his visits to the States.

Bonus points: He seemed to hate people from St. Louis.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to read that one soon. I have Dickens complete works on my Kindle and that was part of it.

Speaking of St.Louis, I just started reading Spirit of St. Louis by Charles Lindbergh. He wrote this book in 1953 about his famous flight across the Atlantic. He won a Pulitzer Prize for his efforts on this book. I Just got started and it seems like it will be very interesting. It was given 5 stars by Amazon reviewers,FWIW.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?