Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
    Im starting Enders Game now
    I go back to this book often. So great.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

marcshoe (10-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Watership Down by Richard Adams
    One of my all time favorite books! Have you read Adam's Traveller also? Written from the perspective of Robert E Lee's horse during and after the Civil War. Nearly as good as Watership Down.

I just started reading Spitballing: The Baseball Days of Long Bob Ewing by Mike Lackey. Would one of the fine gentlemen around here happen to be the author? Very enjoyable writing about a very enjoyable subject.

Enders Game was great. finished it in 2 days. Now on to Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk

Fiction: 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Nonfiction: David/Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell

Audiobook: Currently downloading Gone Girl.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

RedsZone.com - Cincinnati Reds Fans' Home for Baseball Discussion > Miscellaneous > Non-Sports Chatter > Arts & Entertainment

Already finished the Old Red Guard, probably read it again this afternoon though.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    One of my all time favorite books! Have you read Adam's Traveller also? Written from the perspective of Robert E Lee's horse during and after the Civil War. Nearly as good as Watership Down.
    I have not. I shall raid the library for it.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Senor Votto

I'm nearly done with The Long Walk by Stephen King. Very good

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I always thought that one would make a superb movie in the right hands...

Just finished "We Need To Talk About Kevin". Very unusual book. Strangely fascinating, even though I really didn't like *any* of the characters. Mom was pretentious, judgmental and condescending, Dad was a head in the sand Ward Cleaver wanna be, Son was, while a genius, also psychotic, and the Daughter was just, well, sad. The story was compelling, and I couldn't stop reading it. It was an interesting look into the possible line of thinking and life of a kid who could and would become a school shooter type.

I doubt I'll read any of the author's, Lionel Shriver, other books though. After reading a few online interviews with her, she comes across as judgmental, condescending and anti-American herself. The Mother in "Kevin" was a self portrait IMO. Just to me she came across as a very unpleasant person.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howe...s=wool+omnibus

"Wool" by Hugh Howey

My wife got me a kindle fire HD for my bday a month or so ago (30th - ouch) and I read the first of 5 parts, which was a free sample, and could not put it down. I picked up the omnibus and it has been an excellent read so far.

Takes place in a futuristic society of people that have lived in a silo for many generations after the Earth was heavily contaminated.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howe...s=wool+omnibus

"Wool" by Hugh Howey

My wife got me a kindle fire HD for my bday a month or so ago (30th - ouch) and I read the first of 5 parts, which was a free sample, and could not put it down. I picked up the omnibus and it has been an excellent read so far.

Takes place in a futuristic society of people that have lived in a silo for many generations after the Earth was heavily contaminated.
    An inspiration for many of us who self-publish electronically. Still, there's so much dreck out there. . . .

And self-promoting, at least for me, is soul-killing.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    IIRC that was a Bachman book. We read that in high school and it was a very good read.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IIRC that was a Bachman book. We read that in high school and it was a very good read.
    Bachman/King... All the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Bachman/King... All the same person.
    I know that. I am not a huge King fan but I thought that most of his early books were written under the pen name Bachman. It was a reference to The Long Walk being one of his early books, or "a Bachman book."

Turn Off Ads?