Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Right now I'm reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's new book, "The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism" - fascinating book and very timely.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's my nonfiction book at the moment. My fiction is 'The Magus of Hay', Phil Rickman's new book in his series about Merrily Watkins, a female exorcist (called 'Deliverance') in the Church of England. These tend to be mysteries/character pieces with occasional hints of the supernatural.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Started reading The Wolf of Wall Street. So far I like the movie better.
    I put that book down as one of the worst I have ever read. Considering I only made it through 100 pages that is saying something. Its even worse when you realize that the author swindled many innocent people out of their hard earned money. I am just thankful that I checked the book out of the library instead of buying it. I can't stomach giving Jordan Belfort any money.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Something about the sentence construction is what takes me back to books I loved as a kid. I can't put my finger on it but I think it just has to do with a sense of straightforward, old-fashioned storytelling, heightened by knack for language.

The funny thing is that the first Chabon book I read was his ACTUAL children's book, Summerland, which I was't crazy about. Which, baseball and imaginary lands and fairies, HELLO. Maybe my expectations were too high.
    I loved Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys and the Yiddish Policemen's Union too. Summerland, not so much.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I just read Divergent so I could chat about it with my 10 year old. Quick read and not a bad "bubble gum" book.

GL

I have recently finished Bleachers by John Grisham. It was okay. It is a tale of forgiveness, and after reading Calico Joe have to believe Grisham has some issues with adults and organized sports.

Now, I am reading Stephen King's Dream Catcher. Early in the book, he talks about some places in Portland and Bridgton, Maine, that I am very well familiar with. Like all of King's novels, it is a real page turner.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Name:  leonardo.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  14.4 KB
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Went old school Star Wars geek and am about 300 pgs into "Heir to the Empire" by Timothy Zahn.

My current fiction book is Dan Brown's Inferno. This is only the second book I've read by him, and I was told the last one (The Lost Symbol) was his worst, but I'm not enjoying this one much either. Nice historical information about Florence, but to me, he's just not a very good writer.

I know I'm in the vast minority and should just shut up, but after this, I don't think I'll pick up any more of his books.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 03-31-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    My current fiction book is Dan Brown's Inferno. This is only the second book I've read by him, and I was told the last one (The Lost Code) was his worst, but I'm not enjoying this one much either. Nice historical information about Florence, but to me, he's just not a very good writer.

I know I'm in the vast minority and should just shut up, but after this, I don't think I'll pick up any more of his books.
    The DiVinci Code and Angles and Demons are his best efforts. His latest two Robert Langdon books are entertaining but lacking if you ask me. Part of his allure for me is his diving into ancient cities, organizations, traditions, etc.

If you want Ball Four on your Kindle, Amazon has it on sale today for $1.99. I added it to my digital library. Just thought I would let you all know.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If you want Ball Four on your Kindle, Amazon has it on sale today for $1.99. I added it to my digital library. Just thought I would let you all know.
    Highly recommended.

I'm currently reading Jonah Keri's new Expos book.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Highly recommended.

I'm currently reading Jonah Keri's new Expos book.
    I read Ball Four a long time ago. I checked it out of the library. Very good.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I read Ball Four a long time ago. I checked it out of the library. Very good.
    First read it in 1975 age 13. It changed my life

Read it in bits and pieces every year

Yeahhh Sureee

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Any Wendell Berry-ites around these parts?

I just started A Hidden Wound, and it's great.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?