Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Went old school Star Wars geek and am about 300 pgs into "Heir to the Empire" by Timothy Zahn.
    that was the first sci-fi book I ever read. I think I was nine years old.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Went old school Star Wars geek and am about 300 pgs into "Heir to the Empire" by Timothy Zahn.
    that was the first sci-fi book I ever read. I think I was nine years old.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The DiVinci Code and Angles and Demons are his best efforts. His latest two Robert Langdon books are entertaining but lacking if you ask me. Part of his allure for me is his diving into ancient cities, organizations, traditions, etc.
    I'm hyper-critical now, because I just finished an intense revision on my own manuscript. It's hard not to read everything for revision, but I should learn to relax and enjoy.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

About a third of the way through Michael Lewis' new book, Flash Boys. Fascinating stuff and pretty scary, honestly. He's getting a lot of blowback for the book, but I have no doubt it's going to have a serious impact on how Wall Street works. It's opening eyes, much like Moneyball did.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm sure this has already been posted, but here it is again...

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Starting Karen Russell's novella Sleep Donation.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I am halfway through Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. I am not sure I like it yet.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Gabriel García Márquez passed away today. He was arguably one of the most important writers of the last century. One Hundred Years of Solitude is a behemoth - check it out, if you haven't already.

R.I.P.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (04-17-2014)

You can remove the "arguably" from that statement. His books and essays are amazing, and I'm very sad to hear this news.

Marquez wasn't just a celebrity who passed; he was an important literary figure. There was a time when I consumed his short stories like jellybeans. I first read him when I was young and just being introduced to serious fiction, and the Magic Realism idea grabbed me hard. 'A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings' remains one of the best stories I've ever read.

I usually keep an audiobook going, and I just finished Stephen King's 'From a Buick 8'. I knew this was from his nihilistic, arty period, around the same time as 'Everything's Eventual', so I wasn't surprised that it was more a series of vignettes than a continuous story. Well-written, just have an idea of what you're getting into--this isn't 'It' or 'The Shining' or even 'Christine'. There's a bit of Lovecraft, it seems, and King backs off the nihilism a tiny bit in the end.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 04-20-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Senor Votto

I'm halfway into 11/22/63. As a big King fan I really think that this might be my favorite King novel so far.

Wolves of the Calla (King's Dark Tower series).

"Paul Revere's Ride" by David Fischer.

Superior, detailed cross-referencing.

With Patriots Day having just passed, it's a great read to understand the history of the people in the area surrounding Boston.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

"Wool" by Hugh Howey

One of the better bits of "hard" sci-fi that I've read in recent years. I read that the book was originally released in multiple separate parts, which explains the nice, even spacing of big reveals (as opposed to many books that wait to dole their secrets out until the final act).

Very interested in checking out the next book.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'm halfway into 11/22/63. As a big King fan I really think that this might be my favorite King novel so far.
    I'm about 25% through it. My first King book. I like it so far.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Turn Off Ads?