Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good war novel? Preferably World War II.
    Fiction or non-fiction?

For fiction, read Black Cross by Greg Iles. Very good WWII Thriller.

For non-fiction, I enjoyed In The Garden Of Beasts by Erik Larson.

If you like the Larson book, I'd recommend his book Devil In The White City also. About the 1893 Chicago worlds fair tied in with the story of the serial killer Dr HH Holmes...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. I've read a few others (Lamb, Fluke), but decided to give his vampire/romance/comedy trilogy a go (You Suck and Bite Me are #2 and #3). I recommend giving him a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. I've read a few others (Lamb, Fluke), but decided to give his vampire/romance/comedy trilogy a go (You Suck and Bite Me are #2 and #3). I recommend giving him a shot.
    The vampire trilogy is awesome. My personal favorite of Moore's is Fool.

I finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King this afternoon. It was a different effort by King. It was more of a James Patterson type novel. I would not recommend it.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    "Wool" by Hugh Howey

One of the better bits of "hard" sci-fi that I've read in recent years. I read that the book was originally released in multiple separate parts, which explains the nice, even spacing of big reveals (as opposed to many books that wait to dole their secrets out until the final act).

Very interested in checking out the next book.
    I read Wool and Dust this summer.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Just finished Tana French'a new one, 'Secret Place'. This is probably her second best, after 'Faithful Place' imho. Very intense mystery/character study featuring four teenage girls a year after a murder. To say more would be telling. The writing is excellent, tending to the literary. There'a a wee supernatural element, larger than the unexplained bit in 'In The Woods', but still one that can (mostly) be explained away.

French is one of the best genre writers out there, even on her flawed books like ITW. I'm a fan, and even named a minor character in my last book after her.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The last book of Kim Harrison's "Hollows" series. The Witch With No Name. Fantasy/supernatural series involving witches, demons, elves and vampires set in Cincinnati.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I recently read the Maze Runner and Scorch Trails. I know they are "kids books", but I like to keep up with what my 11 year old reads. I didn't find them all that entertaining though. I need to find some time to read a few adult book so I will return to this thread for ideas later.

GL

Just finished Gone Girl. I don't usually read commercial fiction, but I liked it alright. It'll be interesting to see where David Fincher takes it.

I'm on my second attempt at Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon. I started it about a year ago and stopped abruptly, not because I didn't like it, but I have the tendency to start one book then read another. I don't know why I do it, really.

Brooklyn Magazine has made a map of the best book from every state.

http://www.bkmag.com/2014/10/15/the-...r-every-state/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Don't usually come to this thread. Going to read this. Yes, lowbrow, but I am a huge fan.

Name:  book_cover_hires_-page-001-1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  163.2 KB
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King this afternoon. It was a different effort by King. It was more of a James Patterson type novel. I would not recommend it.
    I'm nearly finished, and I'm having a hard time buying the decisions the protagonist is making.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I read Wool and Dust this summer.
    Funny, I gathered wool and dust this summer.

15. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-29-2014)

Praxis social studies test prep guide. Trying to pick up an additional certification.

Just finished Terry Pluto's "Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the ABA." Fun read.

18. Likes:

Chip R (10-29-2014),cumberlandreds (01-06-2015),RichRed (10-30-2014),westofyou (10-30-2014)

Turn Off Ads?