Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Just finished Terry Pluto's "Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the ABA." Fun read.
    Very good book. I read it a few years ago.

I just finished reading "Pistol". A biography of Pete Maravich. Really good book about him. Goes into a lot of detail of how he was pushed by his dad and made into the showman that he was and how it affected his life.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Just finished Terry Pluto's "Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the ABA." Fun read.
    Great book. I'm a sucker for oral histories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

westofyou (10-30-2014)

Anyone here read Calico Joe by John Grisham? I'm about 2/3 the way through it. Sweet story, not so much baseball as initially implied, but a pleasant read sofar, despite the fact that where I am in the book right now, Daddy dearest needs thrown off a cliff into a pool of Great Whites.

I'm re-reading Bouton's Ball Four (for the 4th time, I think). I also picked up Earl Lawson's Cincinnati Seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm re-reading Bouton's Ball Four (for the 4th time, I think). I also picked up Earl Lawson's Cincinnati Seasons.
    Earl Lawsons book is good. Good stories in it. I read it a couple of years ago.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Senor Votto

Finished Revival by Stephen King. I really enjoyed it. I think it's basically King's version of Frankenstein in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Finished Revival by Stephen King. I really enjoyed it. I think it's basically King's version of Frankenstein in a way.
    The post-modern Prometheus, if you will. Sorry, I know X-Files already used that, but it occurred to me as I was reading.

A mild spoiler:

Reviews tend to mention Poe and Hawthorne, but they somehow leave out the direct influence here, one that's not simply hinted at. King has played around with Lovecraft since the beginning, but here he goes the full Howard, even managing a trademark bleak, despairing Lovecraftian ending.

fwiw, the somewhat slow middle part is likely what's bringing in the literary references. I thought that part of the book was reminiscent of Chabon, particularly Kavalier and Klay.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Just finished reading the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. I loved every second of the series. Good stuff. Started the Emperors Blades last night. So far so good. Going to try and read Brandon Sanderson's new stuff this winter. I have so much to read sitting on my bookshelf, it's impossible to get caught up.

I just finished The Cincinnati Reds by Lee Allen. This was written in 1947 by Mr. Allen. It's a really good history of the Reds from 1869 until the start of the 1947 season. He writes it in a very good narrative form with plenty of stories about players who have long been forgotten. Any Reds fan should like this and be required reading for them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm getting ready to drive to Florida in a couple of days, so I picked up an audiobook, 'The Killer Next Door', the new book by Alex Marwood. Marwood's first book, 'The Wicked Girls', was one of my favorite books that I read this past year, a sort of Tana French book without a police narrator.

fwiw, French's latest, 'The Secret Place', might have been my favorite book of the year. I'm not sure--I read several good ones.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

They call me "chef"

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson.

Very enlightening read, especially when applied to political forum discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson.

Very enlightening read, especially when applied to political forum discussions.
    I read that a few years ago. Good book, but all I really need to do is see whether people agree with me or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I just finished The Cincinnati Reds by Lee Allen. This was written in 1947 by Mr. Allen. It's a really good history of the Reds from 1869 until the start of the 1947 season. He writes it in a very good narrative form with plenty of stories about players who have long been forgotten. Any Reds fan should like this and be required reading for them.
    I gotta put that one on my list buddy.

I'm currently reading James Alexander Thom's "From Sea To Shining Sea", which is written about my ancestors (Clark family of Virginia).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-29-2014)

Anxiously awaiting Erik Larson's (In The Garden of Beasts and Devil in the White City) new book Dead Calm. About the last crossing of the Lusitania due out March 10th. Early reviews are good, and the story sounds fascinating.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (01-20-2015)

Earlier this week I finished reading Sparky and Me by Dan Ewald. I bought it for my Kindle through the recommendation of someone on Redszone (I'm sorry I don't remember who now?). Its an outstanding book! Ewald goes into depth of what made Sparky as a human being. Any Reds fan should read this. It makes you really appreciate Sparky more after reading it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?