Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Ready Player One by Ernest Kline.

Not deep, but really fun and nostalgic read.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just finished "Up, Up and Away" which is basically a fans recollection of the Montreal Expos franchise.

The part that opened my eyes was the drug abuse this team had during the early 80's. Valentine, Raines, LeFlore, Scott and others were just ridiculous abusers of drugs and without question cost the team a shot at the playoffs a time or two. I knew they had drug users on the team but not to this extent.

Indianapolis people will like it because it brings back great memories of being the Expos farm system back in the 80's and 90's when it was the premier farm system in all of MLB. Our Indy Indians teams were amazingly great to say the least.

I give the book a thumbs up. It is an easy read and by the end of the book it makes you hope that MLB will give Montreal another chance at having a team one day.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I am currently reading Bottom of the 33rd Inning. Its a look at just about everyone involved in that crazy long game way back in 1981 between Pawtucket and Rochester. A good book that holds your attention throughout. IIRC, I saw the last inning or two of this game. They finished this game when the players strike occurred during the 1981 season. ESPN,WTBS and others carried minor league games in their place and I believe they showed the end of this one.

I finished reading, a week or so ago, what turned out to be a very good political history book. It was called "Dark Horse,The Surprise Election and Political Muder of James A. Garfield". I had this book in my Kindle library for a while and decided to finally read it. I thought it might be really boring and wondered why I bought it. But it was really a great read. It was a great history on the politics of the time. Learned a lot about how each party chose condidates for President and how much different it is today. Garfield was not even a candidate when the Republican convention began. He was a compromise candidate who eventually won the Presidency. All throughout the book the author, Kenneth Ackerman, checks in on Giteau and really pieced together how he came about to decide to assasinate Garfield. I learned much about Giteau. I never really knew anything about him before. If you like this type of history then you really should read this book.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I am currently reading Bottom of the 33rd Inning. Its a look at just about everyone involved in that crazy long game way back in 1981 between Pawtucket and Rochester. A good book that holds your attention throughout. IIRC, I saw the last inning or two of this game. They finished this game when the players strike occurred during the 1981 season. ESPN,WTBS and others carried minor league games in their place and I believe they showed the end of this one.
    k.

Tony Maners was the first base ump during that game and I have had the pleasure of not only working on the field with him but also going to his house a couple times in Danville, Indiana.

Did it get mentioned in the book that the HP ump the day of the game moved out of an apartment 5 stories high with no elevator?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Tony Maners was the first base ump during that game and I have had the pleasure of not only working on the field with him but also going to his house a couple times in Danville, Indiana.

Did it get mentioned in the book that the HP ump the day of the game moved out of an apartment 5 stories high with no elevator?
    No not yet. I haven't quite finished it yet.

The umpires stuck with the letter of the law not to suspend this game. Apparently they had a rules and guide book for the International League for 1981 that did not give them authority to suspend the game at 12:50 am which had been the rule in the past. Someone apparently forgot to put that in for the 1981 book. The managers and players pleaded with the umpires to suspend the game but they wouldn't budge. It wasn't until after 3 am that someone got a hold of the International League president to have him suspend the game. This was well before cell phones,texting or anything like that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Just started Infinite Jest. I'm looking forward to finishing it sometime in 2041.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 01-30-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

BillDoran (01-30-2015)

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

Language practice made fun.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

dwenrhod

Hannibal by Thomas Harris. I went through Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs very quickly but this book has required me to take much more time because it is, by itself, not as thrilling of a book. But I love the character of Hannibal and getting inside of his mind has been fascinating, particularly due to my love of Hannibal the TV drama.
    Prayer is dignity of soul

I go through sprurts of reading, many times waiting years to get around to books purchased or interested in.
    So, just finished both The 5th Wave and The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey. Preferred The 5th Wave-connected more with Cassie than with "Ringer" of the 2nd book, it went into more detail of the different waves, and liked that it was set around the Dayton-Cincinnati area (WPAFB, etc.) so I could visual the settings. Anxiously awaiting the last book of the trilogy!

Started on the Divergent series (haven't watched the movie) yesterday.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just started Infinite Jest. I'm looking forward to finishing it sometime in 2041.
    Good luck. I can't for the life of me figure out why it was/is so highly regarded. I pretty much had to force myself thru it. I kid you not, there are multi-page paragraphs in that book. There are parts that are funny and insightful, but those moments are fleeting compared to the work required to get thru the rest. Perhaps I'm neither smart enough nor "hipster" enough, but definitely one of my least enjoyable reads. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Good luck. I can't for the life of me figure out why it was/is so highly regarded. I pretty much had to force myself thru it. I kid you not, there are multi-page paragraphs in that book. There are parts that are funny and insightful, but those moments are fleeting compared to the work required to get thru the rest. Perhaps I'm neither smart enough nor "hipster" enough, but definitely one of my least enjoyable reads. Good luck.
    It's definitely not the only thing I'm reading. I'll read some of it, put it down for a while, then pick it up again.

I just started Jon Ronson's new one about public shaming, fwiw.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

as an author, I'd be curious to get your opinion on the book as you move thru it or finish it. I asked somewhere on this thread about it when I was finished, because I just don't understand the universal praise and was hoping someone could shed some light and perhaps educate me a bit, however everyone who responded (like 2 or 3 people) felt pretty much the same way I did about Infinite Jest.

Finished the Divergent series. A little disappointed how it ended but did like how the heroine's story wrapped up. Debating on whether to read the books about Four. Still preferred the 5th Wave series-so far, tho....
    Just started the The Breach Series by Patrick Lee (government conspiracy-alien technology)-finished "The Breach" and now on "Ghost Country".
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Just finished rereading Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" and starting Camus' "the Myth of Sisyphus and other essays."

17. Likes:

BillDoran (04-04-2015)

I'm reading Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt. Really funny stuff. I especially like the chapter on working in a mall movie theater in the Virginia suburbs while he was missing "cool" stuff in D.C. like Fugazi and Bad Brains.

Turn Off Ads?