Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

A local, and a friend of mine just released a book, The Dean of Clinton County, it's available on Kindle, and for free on Kindle Prime and Kindle unliminted. It weaves a fictional player into the 1934 baseball season. Good read for a genre (fictional baseball) that doesn't get much attention. But I'd think as baseball fans, most on this board would enjoy it.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (07-05-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I just finished reading Lost in Shangri-La by Michell Zuckoff. Its a true story of a WAC and two Army Air corps personell who survived a plane crash in the jungles of New Guinea in 1945. Very well told by Zuckoff. Its a story I don't ever remember reading about and a very remarkable tale of survival and rescue.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Reading Ben McIntyre's Operation Double Cross, the true story of the British double agents who helped deceive the Germans prior to the Normandy invasion. He also wrote Operation Mincemeat, about a prior deception, using a cadaver to fool the Germans about the invasion of Sicily. This is where Ian Fleming developed many of his characters; he was a member of the team of British officers who cooked up these bizarre, yet very successful schemes.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

6. Likes:

Eric from NC (07-25-2015)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Due to a combination of tough projects at work, a couple of long plane rides and general overstimulation, I decided to go for pure escapism and finally read the Harry Potter series over the last month.

How come nobody told me that (after the first couple) those books were really fun? I'm 28 and somehow totally missed that craze, and I see why my generation fell in love. They got a little angsty at times, but the environment and plot were really interesting, and JK Rowling has a great ease about her writing that made several hours just disappear.

Edit: I still haven't seen the movies--they any good?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

8. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-05-2015)

Fodor's 25 Best: Chicago (which I brought to the ballpark today just in case).
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Only about 20 pages in, so no solid opinion yet.

Just finished Henry Miller's "Big Sur and The Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch." Love Miller, one of my all-time favorites, but this isn't his strongest effort, to my mind. It starts with a forty-page philosophical/existential pursuit based around the work of Dutch artist Hieronymus Bosch. The remaining 360 pages are what he calls a "potpourri," and what turns out to be unrelated essays and stories on a wide range of material; some great, some, like the tedious retelling of his children's bedtime story, are painful. It closes with a lengthy piece on a mordant Swiss friend who comes to live with him, and his labors to return the freeloader to the European continent. The first section is excellent, vintage Miller exploring mental terrain and broad social issues in his typically accessible voice.

Alejandro Zambra's "Ways of Going Home" up to bat, Miller's "The Tropic of Cancer" on deck.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Due to a combination of tough projects at work, a couple of long plane rides and general overstimulation, I decided to go for pure escapism and finally read the Harry Potter series over the last month.

How come nobody told me that (after the first couple) those books were really fun? I'm 28 and somehow totally missed that craze, and I see why my generation fell in love. They got a little angsty at times, but the environment and plot were really interesting, and JK Rowling has a great ease about her writing that made several hours just disappear.

Were you living under a rock?

If you like the books, see the movies. As with most books to movies, they are not perfect, but the casting is superb and they are well made.

13. Likes:

WildcatFan (07-06-2015)

Just finished The Wright Brothers. Mccullough's books read quickly and are always fun. Reminds me of Doris Kearns Goodwin.

15. Likes:

Eric from NC (07-25-2015)

I am now reading The Weird: A Compendium of Strange an Dark Stories. It is over a thousand pages and has stories by a variety of writers including Kafka, Ray Bradbury, Gahan Wilson, H.P. Lovecraft, and Stephen King. I am picking my stories and don't intend to read every page, but the collection is interesting.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post

My wife wanted to read them to our son at some point, probably next summer when he turns 8, or at least start the series and let him take over as he's kind of working his way thru Charlie and the Chocolate factory on his own during timeouts up in his room. At any rate, I bought the series last winter when I was ordering some other books, figured I'd read it ahead of them so I knew what was going on. I've seen 1 or 2 of the movies in full, parts of others. I'm about 1/3 of the way thru year 4, and agree they are a bunch of fun, very easy to read. You can tell the first 3 are written with a young child in mind, while the 4th was written more for an older child (which I guess if you are going to start the series around 8 or 9, you'd be 10 or 11 when you get to year 4 unless you are an advanced reader) as the story lines get more in depth, more background, etc...

If you're 28, you really have no one to blame but yourself, its not like Harry Potter is a big secret, however you were probably in or near HS when they first became popular, and like most kids that age, probably "too cool for school" to actually be seen reading them.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Only about 20 pages in, so no solid opinion yet.
    Its a great read, there was a series on Starz a few years back that closely follows the book, worth your time if you enjoy the book. Everyone I know that has read it enjoyed it.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

I'm on vacation and while driving I listen to audio books. One I'm listening to now is The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn

If there were a bigger bunch of prima donnas in one place in history, I'd like to see it. Talk about awful team chemistry. None of the generals liked each other. Most were glory hounds and one major involved in a charge was drunk during the battle.
    Last edited by Chip R; 07-15-2015 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

reiter883r (07-24-2015)

File under things you might not know… those that live in the state of Ohio can get a library card from any public library in the state. I’m collecting as many as I can because my Dad, who has macular degeneration in both eyes can only read e-books, and likes certain hard to find westerns. Just received my Columbus Metropolitan Library card in the mail today to add to Lane (Western Butler County), MidPointe (Eastern Butler County), Hamilton County, Cleveland, and Kenton County and Campbell County (NKY).

Library cards are reciprocal if you belong to a library in the following two organizations:
    SWON Libraries Consortium includes libraries (academic, public, school, and special) within the counties of Adams, Brown, Butler, Champaign, Clark, Clermont, Clinton, Darke, Fayette, Greene, Hamilton, Highland, Madison, Miami, Montgomery, Preble, and Warren.
    PLANCK includes county libraries in NKY (Bracken, Campbell, Carroll, Fleming, Gallatin, Grant, Harrison, Lewis, Kenton, Mason, Owen, Pendleton, Robertson, and Trimble). Boone County supports both organizations along with Lawrenceburg Public Library and NKU.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

22. Likes:

marcshoe (07-24-2015),westofyou (07-24-2015)

Your library should be part of the national system where you can get any book in the US from another library sent to you. I had one arrive where only five copies were at the libraries across the US. It hadn't been printed in over 50 years so there are limited copies. There has to be thousands of Westerns like this, if not tens of thousands as the Western has found itself not being reprinted while also being filtered out from libraries.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

24. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-25-2015)

Turn Off Ads?