Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Its a great read, there was a series on Starz a few years back that closely follows the book, worth your time if you enjoy the book. Everyone I know that has read it enjoyed it.
    I'm disappointed STARZ discontinued the series. Would have loved to see the French part.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Your library should be part of the national system where you can get any book in the US from another library sent to you. I had one arrive where only five copies were at the libraries across the US. It hadn't been printed in over 50 years so there are limited copies. There has to be thousands of Westerns like this, if not tens of thousands as the Western has found itself not being reprinted while also being filtered out from libraries.
    Thanks for the info! But I need books in electronic form for my Dad so he can read with large print.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Thanks for the info! But I need books in electronic form for my Dad so he can read with large print.
    I wasn't sure how the interlibrary loan worked with e-book, and large-print, specifically.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I went to the beach last week. I really enjoyed two books that I read that week. I liked the spy book The Trinity Six by Charles Cumming. It's a modern update to the Cambridge spies. A really good read by a new author for me, but he's written about 6 well reviewed spy books.

I also liked the historical book In the Heart of the Sea: True Story of the Essex. It's the true story behind the Moby Dick story. Really interesting (reminded me of the Imax movie on Shackleton at the South Pole) and fairly short under 300 pages.

I wasn't sure how the interlibrary loan worked with e-book, and large-print, specifically.
    Thanks! I'll look into that. Today I traveled to Miamisburg and obtained a Dayton Metro library card to add to my collection.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I'm disappointed STARZ discontinued the series. Would have loved to see the French part.
    ???

IIRC, they showed the whole season of Pillars of the Earth, it was only supposed to be 1 season. They did not pick up the follow up to the book, World Without End, when that went to mini-series format.

I enjoyed WWE as well, so did my wife, but I've heard mix reviews from people who read both. Everyone loved Pillars of the Earth, a little mixed on WWE.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Read Flags of our Fathers a few weeks back. Quick read and learned a good deal. A recommended read.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Read Flags of our Fathers a few weeks back. Quick read and learned a good deal. A recommended read.

GL
    That's a great book. I read it a few years ago. A very recommended read too from me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Finished the last book of the 5th Wave trilogy "The Last Star". Very good, much better than the second book, on par with the first. Like the ending better than the Divergent series - but they're some deju vu moments common among dysopian teen books. Rick Yancey leaves the door open for possible sequels following some of the main characters.

Recently finished Nell Zink's "The Wallcreeper" and Denis Johnson's "Fiskadoro." Zink's writing is whip-smart and fun to read. For whatever it may lack in depth, it makes up for in pacing and cleverness. Johnson is a phenomenal writer and perhaps one of the greatest presently in English. The plot didn't do a great deal for me, but he is evocative and heart-felt, able to put you in places you have no awareness of.

Currently reading Oliver Sacks' "On the Move." It's my first book by Sacks and 100-pages in or so, I enjoy it and it's quite readable, but leaves me wanting. Sometimes it feels like he's sacrificed emotion for clarity, almost playing it safe.

Just finishes Stars and Strikes by Dan Epstein. Very good book on the 1976 baseball season. Extra special since that was a Reds championship season at the height of the BRM. He does give the Reds good notice in this book. If you like baseball books you should read this one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I've really been knocking some fantastic books off my reading list lately:

Nonfiction
    The Sixth Extinction-Incredible, terrifying, makes really complex evolutionary science easy to digest and really puts current global issues into perspective.
    The Big Short-Also terrifying, but in a totally different way. It's amazing to see how volatile our economy really is. Makes me nervous about where we're headed with issuing credit cards to people with terrible credit.
    On Writing-I'm a writer, and somehow this had escaped me. I'm now furious at everybody who has read this and didn't tell me how valuable it is.
    Into Thin Air-INTENSE, man. I devoured this one.

Fiction
    Watchmen-It was good, but I guess I don't read enough graphic novels to understand how important it was.
    High Fidelity-Awesome. Probably most of you have already read this one.
    If Beale Street Could Talk-My first foray into the world of James Baldwin, and it's certainly powerful. Any other recommendations of his would be welcome.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    ???

IIRC, they showed the whole season of Pillars of the Earth, it was only supposed to be 1 season. They did not pick up the follow up to the book, World Without End, when that went to mini-series format.

I enjoyed WWE as well, so did my wife, but I've heard mix reviews from people who read both. Everyone loved Pillars of the Earth, a little mixed on WWE.
    I haven't been to this thread since a year ago. Thanks for the info. I look forward to the WWE now after I finish what I'm on. Currently on Book 10 (of 12) of the Poldark series. Watched the '72 & '75 BBC versions two years ago, but those stopped after Book 7 (about 32 television episodes).

I like the Cornish history (unlike du Maurier's fictional Cornish descriptions, who wasn't originally from there) that Winston Graham writes about. In kind, I will probably enjoy WWE as I love architecture and it's history, the main attraction for me in the Pillars work. I'm getting close to that part of a good series where you know the end is near and there's some depression that comes with that knowledge, so I needed something to look forward to after Poldark is over (can't help but believe that's the main reason why humans have had religion of some kind for as long as they had time to sit around a campfire and contemplate their existence).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-15-2016 at 02:53 AM.

It's been about ten years since I last read it, so I picked up Stephen King's The Stand for my Nook last night.

Baby can you dig your man.

They call me "chef"

^ The fiancé loves 7/8ths of that book!

17. Likes:

Raisor (08-30-2016)

Turn Off Ads?