Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchaldavis View Post
    I read Bleak House was. There is a novel, detective Mr. Bucket. Clearly, Mr. Doo literature in the 18th century the first dectective figures. I do dectective story, of course, the real concern, Bleak House there are more than just a mystery.
    This is a fantastic advertisement for your blog commenting service.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Unfortunately, the Lafayette bio I'm reading seems to be historically questionable. I haven't read very far into it, but the author, Harlow Unger, has presented some info about the importance of Lafayette's Masonic affiliation that seems a bit overdone. I'm checking it out, but Unger's presenting this material as straight fact without giving sources, and it contradicts what I've read elsewhere.

I'll finish the book, which tells a fascinating story, but I may end up giving this the same amount of credence I give Allan Eckert's books: Double check everything before passing it on.

I'm reading Black Snow by Mikhail Bulgakov. It's a sort of satirical/semi-autobiographical take on the pretension and self-indulgence of artists. Very funny, but I keep accidentally calling it Black Swan, which is very different. Or maybe not so different.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Just picked up What Technology Wants by Kevin Kelly from the library. I've found myself picking up lots nonfiction by Wired/Bay Area thinkers of late, for better or worse.

Race, Gender and Human Identity in a Diverse Societ, an anthology. 'course I'm teaching this starting Monday. One of my English classes was cancelled because of low enrollment, so I'm picking up a general ed class.

A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution by Orlando Figes.

Amazing book from my favorite historical period.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I subscribe to Baseball Digest. Here is a recent cover.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution by Orlando Figes.

Amazing book from my favorite historical period.
    Read that in college. I think Russian history is just awesome, simply because it seems rather unique and they do things their own way.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I subscribe to Baseball Digest. Here is a recent cover.

Nice cover!

I'm currently reading The Comeback Kids about the 2010 Reds. It is never to early to bask in the glow of a fun season.

The Confession by John Grisham. Its another fantastic read by Grisham

Columbine by Dave Cullen

It's really remarkable how much the media twisted what happened in that school shooting. Nearly all of the popular narrative I took as fact was incorrect.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Dead Time by Stephen White.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchaldavis View Post
    I read Bleak House was. There is a novel, detective Mr. Bucket. Clearly, Mr. Doo literature in the 18th century the first dectective figures. I do dectective story, of course, the real concern, Bleak House there are more than just a mystery.
    I assume that you do not speak English very well, but it looks like you speak and understand it well enough to watch the BBC series, Bleak House. They did it right by turning it into six parts. It's available online for a cost and at many libraries around the U.S. for free. I thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Just started I, Alex Cross.
    I'm a big fan of James Patterson's detective series. I've been reading the Alex Cross series starting with Along Came a Spider and I'm all the way up to Cross Country which I'm reading now. I've also read the first six books in his "Women's Murder Club" series. The 7th book, 7th Heaven is next on my list, though I, Alex Cross is next in line for me in the Cross Series and I imagine I'll be anxious to read it when I'm done with Cross Country.

When I get caught-up with those two series, I intend to read the Michael Bennet series as well. Hopefully by then there will be more of the others.

http://www.jamespatterson.com/
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

After spending the majority of the last few years on a strictly non-fiction diet, I was given a copy of "A Game of Thrones" -- which is apparently being made into an HBO miniseries -- by a friend.

I'm 100 pages in, and every character that's been introudced is more depressing than the last.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?