Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cards frontrunners for Oswalt

Re: Cards frontrunners for Oswalt

Seriously if the Cards pulled that off they should just be called the Yankees of the Midwest. Talk about high payroll players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    If it means a WS appearance, why wouldn't you? Again they have the money.

sure I would...but I dont think Roy makes them a WS contender.......Again, Roy is on the downside of his career and I am not saying he wont get better, I am just saying the odds of him getting better or staying the same are really slim...he is more than likely going to get worse, alot worse over these next few years....and to get him you are going to have to deplete your minor league system and set it back a few years....so even if it assures them a WS spot, I am not sure they do it....The Cardinals are not the Yankees

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Cards are getting older and we're getting younger. They will start to fall apart before long. Age catches up with these guys eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Seriously if the Cards pulled that off they should just be called the Yankees of the Midwest. Talk about high payroll players.

and then we could call them the Rangers of the Midwest....cause they will file for bankruptcy within 3 years of making this trade...

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The Cards are getting older and we're getting younger. They will start to fall apart before long. Age catches up with these guys eventually.
    I wish people would stop believing this. "Waiting" for the Cardinals to age is a horrible approach. How many years have we been waiting for the Cardinals to "age" out of contention?

2002: "Oh, the Cardinals have Andy Benes, Chuck Finley, Darryl Kile, and Tino Martinez...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2004: "Oh, the Cardinals have Woody Williams, Matt Morris, Jim Edmonds, and Jason Isringhausen...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2005: "Oh, the Cardinals have Jeff Suppan, Mark Mulder, Reggie Sanders, and Larry Walker...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2006: "Oh, the Cardinals have Jason Isringhausen, Jeff Weaver, and Sidney Ponson...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2009: "Oh, the Cardinals have Matt Holliday, Troy Glaus, John Smoltz, Khalil Greene, and Ryan Ludwick...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

It's literally the same song and dance every year, except for some reason, everytime the Cardinals go out and get somebody at the deadline, there's a group of Reds fans who use their 'age' against them as if it actually means anything. Hoping for something different over and over again meanwhile seeing the same result is the definition of insanity.

Sorry but the Cardinals know how to win. "But our farm system is better!" Yeah, it's been better since 2003. Yet, in that same time span, the Cardinals only got a handful of Division Championships and a World Series title meanwhile the Reds contended for the playoffs once...in 2006...until August.

I'm kind of derailing here, but I wanted to address this issue. Some people are against giving up part of our farm system. Sorry but the goal isn't to have a good Baseball American rankings...it's to win World Series championships. The Cardinals realize this...don't know if I can say the same about the Reds.

our fans, and managt would rather keep toung prospects as opposed to trading them for guys like Matt H and other MLB ready starters.......I guess it all boild down to what market your in...if you dont mind spending money then its ok to trade young talent, but if your low market, then keep your talent.....its your only hope at winning....I just want the Reds to finally start winning...I dont care how...buy it, build it whatever....

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BringDownMugabe View Post
    I wish people would stop believing this. "Waiting" for the Cardinals to age is a horrible approach. How many years have we been waiting for the Cardinals to "age" out of contention?

2002: "Oh, the Cardinals have Andy Benes, Chuck Finley, Darryl Kile, and Tino Martinez...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2004: "Oh, the Cardinals have Woody Williams, Matt Morris, Jim Edmonds, and Jason Isringhausen...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2005: "Oh, the Cardinals have Jeff Suppan, Mark Mulder, Reggie Sanders, and Larry Walker...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2006: "Oh, the Cardinals have Jason Isringhausen, Jeff Weaver, and Sidney Ponson...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

2009: "Oh, the Cardinals have Matt Holliday, Troy Glaus, John Smoltz, Khalil Greene, and Ryan Ludwick...they're old and they'll have to start rebuilding next season."

It's literally the same song and dance every year, except for some reason, everytime the Cardinals go out and get somebody at the deadline, there's a group of Reds fans who use their 'age' against them as if it actually means anything. Hoping for something different over and over again meanwhile seeing the same result is the definition of insanity.

Sorry but the Cardinals know how to win. "But our farm system is better!" Yeah, it's been better since 2003. Yet, in that same time span, the Cardinals only got a handful of Division Championships and a World Series title meanwhile the Reds contended for the playoffs once...in 2006...until August.

I'm kind of derailing here, but I wanted to address this issue. Some people are against giving up part of our farm system. Sorry but the goal isn't to have a good Baseball American rankings...it's to win World Series championships. The Cardinals realize this...don't know if I can say the same about the Reds.
    I got your answer.

BECAUSE EVERY TEAM THAT HAS FOUGHT THE CARDINALS FOR THE CENTRAL DIVISION TITLE HAS TRADED AWAY THEIR PROSPECTS AND MORTGAGED THEIR FUTURE, AND WERE UNABLE TO SUSTAIN CONTENDING EVERY YEAR.

Uh...........my goal isn't to make the Baseball American rankings either. My goal is to build through the minor leagues.

Gee, it isn't coincidence that this is the Reds first real season of contending in like 10+ years because of VOTTO, BRUCE, STUBBS, HEISEY, HANIGAN, JANISH, CUETO, LEAKE, WOOD, LECURE, MALONEY, BAILEY, JANISH, DICKERSON, ONDRUSEK, FISHER, AND JORDAN SMITH all came through the Reds draft and minor league system of development!!!!

Might want to re-think that disrespecting of a good minor league system way of thinking you have there dude, since 40% of our 40-man roster is made up of guys who were once PROSPECTS.

Wonder where we'd be if we'd have traded Votto, Cueto, and others in previous seasons to go for it all!!!!!!!!! Yee-haw!!!!!

I got your answer.

BECAUSE EVERY TEAM THAT HAS FOUGHT THE CARDINALS FOR THE CENTRAL DIVISION TITLE HAS TRADED AWAY THEIR PROSPECTS AND MORTGAGED THEIR FUTURE, AND WERE UNABLE TO SUSTAIN CONTENDING EVERY YEAR.
    Really? I'd love to see some examples of this.

Uh...........my goal isn't to make the Baseball American rankings either. My goal is to build through the minor leagues.
    And now we have. The core of young players that came up through our system is here now. Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, Stubbs, Phillips, Heisey, Wood, Leake. We have the core....now it's time to go out of the organization and land a top player that can help us now.

Gee, it isn't coincidence that this is the Reds first real season of contending in like 10+ years because of VOTTO, BRUCE, STUBBS, HEISEY, HANIGAN, JANISH, CUETO, LEAKE, WOOD, LECURE, MALONEY, BAILEY, JANISH, DICKERSON, ONDRUSEK, FISHER, AND JORDAN SMITH all came through the Reds draft and minor league system of development!!!!

Might want to re-think that disrespecting of a good minor league system way of thinking you have there dude, since 40% of our 40-man roster is made up of guys who were once PROSPECTS.

Wonder where we'd be if we'd have traded Votto, Cueto, and others in previous seasons to go for it all!!!!!!!!! Yee-haw!!!!!
    Where did I ever mention trading Votto and Cueto? You're putting words in my mouth.

The time to contend is right now. If we can land a top player by trading Alonso, Frazier, or Mesoraco, you shouldn't have to think twice.

Really? I'd love to see some examples of this.

And now we have. The core of young players that came up through our system is here now. Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, Stubbs, Phillips, Heisey, Wood, Leake. We have the core....now it's time to go out of the organization and land a top player that can help us now.

Where did I ever mention trading Votto and Cueto? You're putting words in my mouth.

The time to contend is right now. If we can land a top player by trading Alonso, Frazier, or Mesoraco, you shouldn't have to think twice.

I dont think this team ever really tried to trade Votto did they?

I Love him more now with his Marlon Byrd All-Star Cubs Jersey Quote...

HE is the Larry Bird of Baseball!

This just posted on ESPN: Oswalt prefers trade to Cards

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...r_espn_5402582

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Cardinals have offered two current major league players to the Astros for ace Roy Oswalt.

It sure sounds like the Cards are trying to pull off this deal without including top pitching prospect Shelby Miller. If it works, the Astros really are worse off than we thought both financially and intellectually. Cardinals youngsters Jon Jay, Allen Craig and Fernando Salas may be involved.

Not nearly as old some think. The Cardinals' average age for position players this season is 28.7. The Reds is 29.3. Pitching age is 29.5 to the Reds 28.1.

Their oldest starting position player is Ryan Ludwick, who is 31. Their current 25 man roster has 15 players either drafted by them or spent time in their minor league system.

Until they have two down seasons in a row I think it's safe to assume that they are the class of the division. We say they're getting old or don't have the prospects or don't have the money every single season, yet they've had 1 season below .500 in the last 11 years, and they won 78 games that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Not nearly as old some think. The Cardinals' average age for position players this season is 28.7. The Reds is 29.3. Pitching age is 29.5 to the Reds 28.1.

Their oldest starting position player is Ryan Ludwick, who is 31. Their current 25 man roster has 15 players either drafted by them or spent time in their minor league system.

Until they have two down seasons in a row I think it's safe to assume that they are the class of the division. We say they're getting old or don't have the prospects or don't have the money every single season, yet they've had 1 season below .500 in the last 11 years, and they won 78 games that season.
    I guess we should take heart in the fact that Walt Jocketty was the GM for a number of those seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I guess we should take heart in the fact that Walt Jocketty was the GM for a number of those seasons.
    True, but keep in mind that the only good trades he's made in the last 8 years that weren't pure salary dumps were both for Scott Rolen. He was really good in the early 2000's and then made a bunch of really bad moves leading to his firing. Haren for Mulder, Carpenter's extension, Isringhausen's extension, Edmonds extension etc.

This is the year that he needs to prove he's still got it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

You're trying to reason with the same folks who are still gnashing their teeth over losing Zach Stewart in the Rolen trade.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?