Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cardinals are the front runners for Roy Oswalt

The Cardinals are the front runners for Roy Oswalt

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/to...roy-oswalt.php

A major league source tells me that, contrary to what we've all been hearing for the past several days, the Phillies are not the front runners for Roy Oswalt. The St. Louis Cardinals are.
    Ugh!!!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Cardinals are the front runners for Roy Oswalt

Maybe the Reds can kidnap him this weekend

What could the Cards possibly have to offer that the Astros would want?
    This place use to be fun

Where are they going to get the money to pay for him, Carpenter, Pujols, Holliday and Wainwright, is DeWitt printing money in his basement? I don't think they have the prospects either.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They're in a bigger market, and probably sell out a lot more games than the Reds do. Not a bad start

It's the Cards. Acquire what you need now, worry how you pay them later, after you win.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    What could the Cards possibly have to offer that the Astros would want?
    Shelby Miller and...um...uh...Jaime Garcia maybe, if the Cardinals expect him to hit his IP limit just as they're making a playoff push?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Where are they going to get the money to pay for him, Carpenter, Pujols, Holliday and Wainwright, is DeWitt printing money in his basement? I don't think they have the prospects either.
    Reportedly, Oswalt demands that any team that trades for him pick up his 2012 $16M option. That is why the Phillies have stepped back.

If the Cards do that, they should do well this year, but will be in a real payflex bind next year and especially 2012, when they have to re-sign Pujols.

Currently, they don't have the payflex to sign Pujols with their current payroll situation. Adding $16M to that for an aging pitcher will make it even more impossible.

In terms of prospects, Oswalt's demands seems to have put the Astros in the position where they have to accept a trade to whichever team will accept those demands, as I can't imagine too many teams, if any willing to do that.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They're looking to add a Reds killer to two hammers at the top of the rotation.

The Reds don't have a hammer. They HOPE they do, but time will tell.

I'm thinking nausea is setting in.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-22-2010 at 12:26 AM.

While the Cards go after Roy Oswalt a year after adding Matt Holliday at the deadline, the Reds mine baseball hospice for Russ Springer and Jason Isringhausen.

Psychologically, what a blow this would be to the Reds players.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    While the Cards go after Roy Oswalt a year after adding Matt Holliday at the deadline, the Reds mine baseball hospice for Russ Springer and Jason Isringhausen.

Well said.... I am sure that there are some players who feel that adding Springer/Izzy is nothing more than simply standing pat.

Of course, if you are used to hearing that the Reds are "sellers" about this time every year, standing pat could pass for exciting.

It is all in how you craft the message to the fans and players.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I'm more worried about what it would do psychologically to the Sundeck...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Walt's upgraded the Reds defense, time to see how his is.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    They're in a bigger market, and probably sell out a lot more games than the Reds do. Not a bad start
    Their market is just a little bit bigger than our's. Certainly they have much better attendance; winning has a way of causing that. But we've bought into this "small market" mantra so long, we take it for granted. Our overall fan base market is considerable and we've been working on recovering that since the debacle years of Marge Schott and her shortsightedness. But no question, they draw significantly better than we do and are far more lively at those games. I think we're making strides, but we've still got a ways to go.

That said, not sure where they'll get the money in their budget to cover an Oswalt, particularly long term. I hope it's breaks them, frankly.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Tip of the cap to the Cards if they get him. Hopefully Walt stays the course and doesn't let this affect him. The Reds only have to worry about themselves at this point. Win and they are in. The Cards getting Oswalt, at worst, would only directly affect them in 2 reg season games (at most) and, if they are lucky, in the NLCS.

Turn Off Ads?