Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty and a contract extension

Dusty and a contract extension

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...act-in-august/

Discuss.

I actually think Dusty has done a pretty good job with this Reds club. He may not be more "old school" than many like, but I also think he has overseen the club as they have gone from afterthoughts to contenders.

That said I would hesitate to give him an extension until at least late August. The last think I would want to happen is to extend Dusty for another 3 years only to see the team tank down the stretch. I remember Narron and Boone both got extensions way too early and the Reds were stuck eating their respective contracts.

I would hope for a 2 year max extension and wouldn't want to go any further than that. I don't want to see anything similar to what SD did. While I think a manager often gets too much blame (and credit if you will) I do think there are times when the situation becomes stale and new blood is needed. If the Reds end up 10+ games over .500 this season I wouldn't have an issue with Dusty being the manager through the 2012 season. Anything longer than that would be a mistake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Dusty and a contract extension

Dusty's gotten as much out of this club as is likely possible. But I'd rather not listen to people grouse about him next year, so I probably wouldn't extend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Dusty's gotten as much out of this club as is likely possible. But I'd rather not listen to people grouse about him next year, so I probably wouldn't extend him.
    He's rode some extreme luck on a decent team. I don't understand paying big money for a manager.. Ever.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    He's rode some extreme luck on a decent team. I don't understand paying big money for a manager.. Ever.
    Call it luck, call it what you will. My take is that the most a manager can do is hurt a club by overtinkering. To that end, Dusty's gotten out of the team's way and let them play as well as they can. In other words, he does what a good manager does. But yeah, I have no real desire to pay a manager big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    People will grouse about the replacement too. It's the nature of the beast. I agree with your first point though.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

The Reds have been gotten better and better every year under Dusty, but you have got to remember the rotation next year (or at least I hope is the rotation)

Volquez
    Cueto
    Leake
    Wood
    Chapman (if he is ready, Arroyo if he is not)

If the accusations are true, and Baker does not know how to use and keep young arms healthy, this is not the team for him.
    Last edited by The Voice of IH; 07-22-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Dusty's done a GREAT job. He deserves an extention. Period.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I'd prefer they let him and spend the money elsewhere. Dusty may be a good clubhouse presence, but he's not very bright when it comes to game-management, line-up construction, and bullpen usage.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

let him go back to the cubs

He deserves an extension. That's all that really needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Dusty's done a GREAT job. He deserves an extention. Period.
    This line of thought is insane... He's gotten some great play, and with the Cardinals really only being a so-so team this season it's made him look better than he is...

He still makes horrible line-up decisions that outweigh any solid managing he's done thus far... I tried to give him a pass in the first half, but with guys getting hurt, some of his roster decisions have been baffling to say the least...

Also, his grinding of Coco's arm in April, and the same with Bailey last season have proven to have their effect...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'd prefer they let him and spend the money elsewhere. Dusty may be a good clubhouse presence, but he's not very bright when it comes to game-management, line-up construction, and bullpen usage.
    This...

He would make one heck of a bench coach... But as a guy that's expected to make all of the right moves, he comes out looking lost at times...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Name Rolen manager, spent the dusty money elsewhere.
    Go Gators!

I get as frustrated as anyone with Dusty, but if you axe the maanger for a team's underachievement then conversely, Dusty probably deserves an extension for this season. I'll join other's in not liking the salary - Dusty or anyone else.

Voice of reason here. If the Reds have a winning record at season's end, Dusty will come back if he chooses to. You just don't fire/let go a manager who has guided you to your franchise's first winning record in over a decade. So get it all out of your system now, because if the Reds have a winning record and Walt extends Dusty that doesn't make Walt incompetent.

Turn Off Ads?