Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade proposal from ESPN

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Trade proposal from ESPN

This is the Reds first good year in a long while. The team isn't built for just this year. They are built to contend for many a year with help on the way in the minors.

We should go to war with what we got unless we can acquire a HUGE difference maker.

2. Turn Off Ads?

the one big falsie I see in this thread is the quote "bullpen arms are a dime a dozen"....UHHHH, no they are not. Each team in the hunt is looking for pen arms because they are nowhere to be found......a good pen is just as important as any other spot on this roster.....not saying I would give up ZC but I would sure look into it...feel it out so to say......prospects are just that, prospects. ZC might not even be in a uniform in 5 years where as a good arm in the pen is probably still going to be around. ZC might win the MVP also, so its a tough call.....but lets not act like we can pick up a bull pen arm at any 7-11 on the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    No and NO. Donnie Joseph is gonna be a stud and Cozart could be here next year. No no no no

Sorry but you're completely overrating our prospects. "Stud Prospects" usually show up in 'Top Prospect' lists...something Joseph is not only absent from, but not even sniffing. Same goes for Janis -- err, I mean Cozart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    This is the Reds first good year in a long while. The team isn't built for just this year. They are built to contend for many a year with help on the way in the minors.

We should go to war with what we got unless we can acquire a HUGE difference maker.
    Sorry but it's never a good idea to assume contention in future years -- especially when part of your reasoning includes unproven prospects. Weren't the 'Baby D-Backs' assuming they were going to contend annually? Now they're rebuilding. When the A's had the trio...they didn't win any championships. The Twins...the same deal.

Sorry, but if you're in contention come the deadline, you go for the World Series. Period. Worry about the future later and concentrate on the present.

Quote Originally Posted by BringDownMugabe View Post
    Sorry but it's never a good idea to assume contention in future years -- especially when part of your reasoning includes unproven prospects. Weren't the 'Baby D-Backs' assuming they were going to contend annually? Now they're rebuilding. When the A's had the trio...they didn't win any championships. The Twins...the same deal.

Sorry, but if you're in contention come the deadline, you go for the World Series. Period. Worry about the future later and concentrate on the present.
    Says you.

We won't make the World Series because ownership isn't going to make a trade that adds significant payroll.

We're going to war with what we got, like it or not.

Old Red Guard Reject

I like the first option better than the second. By the way, I am at Yankee stadium watching the royals run out Jason kendall, mike aviles, willie bloomquist and yunesky betancourt. Here's a slobber knocker for ya....homer Bailey, donnie Joseph,cozart, Todd Fraser and heisey for greinke, soria and dejesus?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Says you.

We won't make the World Series because ownership isn't going to make a trade that adds significant payroll.

We're going to war with what we got, like it or not.
    That's great and all but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it and doesn't mean I'm wrong. Just look at history and the teams I listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    To get better now. But would it be worth it?
    Dude, those are awful Trades...

Go for a guy like Soria if ya want to upgrade the Bull Penn...

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I like the first option better than the second. By the way, I am at Yankee stadium watching the royals run out Jason kendall, mike aviles, willie bloomquist and yunesky betancourt. Here's a slobber knocker for ya....homer Bailey, donnie Joseph,cozart, Todd Fraser and heisey for greinke, soria and dejesus?
    Ya know I doubt the Royals would give up Greinke... But I LOVE the IDEA... A Great young pitcher under contract...

Thats what ya give up Prospects for... Not a rent a Player...

I dont like DeJesus, But Greinke & Soria for a group of like 5 Prospects... YES YES YES

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    the one big falsie I see in this thread is the quote "bullpen arms are a dime a dozen"....UHHHH, no they are not. Each team in the hunt is looking for pen arms because they are nowhere to be found......a good pen is just as important as any other spot on this roster.....not saying I would give up ZC but I would sure look into it...feel it out so to say......prospects are just that, prospects. ZC might not even be in a uniform in 5 years where as a good arm in the pen is probably still going to be around. ZC might win the MVP also, so its a tough call.....but lets not act like we can pick up a bull pen arm at any 7-11 on the corner.
    Yes I agree 100%

But dont give up Prospects for Journeyman relievers, which I know a lot of them are... But go for a SORIA... Someone that other teams go...

Woah!

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    That's a trade I would do because it is a significant upgrade.

Greinke is an ace under contract for several more years.

Soria is far better than Cordero. I compared their numbers on another thread earlier in the week, and Soria won hands down.

Dejesus is like 30 or 31 years old, but hits for good average and has an outstanding OBP. If Dusty batted him second, and moved Cabrera to 7th in the order, it would be an upgrade for Votto, Rolen and Gomes to knock in more runs.

I wouldn't miss Bailey, Cozart or Frazier. I'd miss Heisey and I had high hopes for Joseph, but I did for Zach Stewart last year too, so oh well.

That's a trade I would do because it is a significant upgrade.

Greinke is an ace under contract for several more years.

Soria is far better than Cordero. I compared their numbers on another thread earlier in the week, and Soria won hands down.

Dejesus is like 30 or 31 years old, but hits for good average and has an outstanding OBP. If Dusty batted him second, and moved Cabrera to 7th in the order, it would be an upgrade for Votto, Rolen and Gomes to knock in more runs.

I wouldn't miss Bailey, Cozart or Frazier. I'd miss Heisey and I had high hopes for Joseph, but I did for Zach Stewart last year too, so oh well.
    Do you think we could have a meeting with Walt to discuss this plan... ?

I am Liking this... I hope Walt would atleast kick the tires on Greinke...

The bullpen seems to have stabilized with Ondrusek, Smith and Masset throwing well. Coco is still nerve racking but he isn't going anywhere. Iggy and Springer will help. Burton is also pitching well.

The offense has me concerned. No one is really hitting, especially Rolen (when healthy), Phillips and Bruce. Both Cabrera and Gomes are good clubhouse guys and bring leadership to the club. They are going to play. Jocketty would need to bring in a major bat but I just don't see it happening. So what do they do? I don't know. Hope these guys shake their funk and start hitting. Shake up the lineup? It worked before. Start platooning some guys like Heisey/Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    The bullpen seems to have stabilized with Ondrusek, Smith and Masset throwing well. Coco is still nerve racking but he isn't going anywhere. Iggy and Springer will help. Burton is also pitching well.

The offense has me concerned. No one is really hitting, especially Rolen (when healthy), Phillips and Bruce. Both Cabrera and Gomes are good clubhouse guys and bring leadership to the club. They are going to play. Jocketty would need to bring in a major bat but I just don't see it happening. So what do they do? I don't know. Hope these guys shake their funk and start hitting. Shake up the lineup? It worked before. Start platooning some guys like Heisey/Bruce.
    Just so ya know... I am pulling for this Club to aquire OF Corey Hart to bring a Right Handed Power Hitter to the Lineup... When Scott Rolen is in their, this team swings an entirely different stick and I think putting Hart in Right and Moving Bruce to Center would be the Kick start down the stretch offensively this team needs... And I think Yonder Alonso could do it!

i honestly think the reds should probably just stand pat. anything less than a major impact bat or pitcher isnt gonna make this team too much better. i was all for getting Lee but once that didnt happen im starting to realize there just isnt much out there.

edit: corey hart might be the only addition that makes sense.

Turn Off Ads?