Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Blood Testing begins in Minors

Random Blood Testing begins in Minors

Major League Baseball implemented random blood testing for human growth hormone in the minor leagues on Thursday, the first professional sports league in the United States to take the aggressive step against doping.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0uToieGb4

Thought this might be of interest to some people.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Random Blood Testing begins in Minors

It's interesting to note that players on major league contracts cannot be tested. Must be nice for Bud to not have to deal with a player's union. I'm not personally against random testing, but this is exhibit A in the value of a union. The massive gap between being a major league and a minor league player just got a little bit wider.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's interesting to note that players on major league contracts cannot be tested. Must be nice for Bud to not have to deal with a player's union. I'm not personally against random testing, but this is exhibit A in the value of a union. The massive gap between being a major league and a minor league player just got a little bit wider.
    Check out the list of things minor leaguers are tested for, then compare it to major leaguers. Basically you could be a raging cracked out freak in the majors.

Lol. There will be a lot of kids caught at first. Just like when they started testing for Anabolic Steroids. Then it'll dwindle just like everything else.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

If I'm running a major league team that has a history of PED abuse, I'm asking my prospects who might get caught.

Then I'm moving said players to the 40-man roster with a major league split contract, so that they can't get tested.

It'll be interesting if any teams do this over the next week or so.

(It'll be really interesting if Bryce Harper, for example, insists on a major league contract as part of his negotiations with Washington and if the Nats insist he take less money because of that possibility.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Are you implying that Bryce Harper is taking HGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If I'm running a major league team that has a history of PED abuse, I'm asking my prospects who might get caught.

Then I'm moving said players to the 40-man roster with a major league split contract, so that they can't get tested.

It'll be interesting if any teams do this over the next week or so.

(It'll be really interesting if Bryce Harper, for example, insists on a major league contract as part of his negotiations with Washington and if the Nats insist he take less money because of that possibility.)
    Two things....

Teams aren't going to make those types of moves. You aren't going to just set talent aside on your 40 man for a prospect in August who isn't getting called up. They will just let them serve their suspension if it happens.

Secondly, Bryce Harper is getting a MLB deal, testing or no testing.

Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    Are you implying that Bryce Harper is taking HGH?
    Just the first example of a balleyhooed prospect whose suspension would hurt both prospect and team that came to mind. Nothing more than that.

doug,

If Aroldis Chapman, for example, were using HGH and the Reds knew he was (had in fact suggested it to him), wouldn't it make sense for the Reds to "protect" him knowing he could help the team this year going forward?
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Just the first example of a balleyhooed prospect whose suspension would hurt both prospect and team that came to mind. Nothing more than that.

doug,

If Aroldis Chapman, for example, were using HGH and the Reds knew he was (had in fact suggested it to him), wouldn't it make sense for the Reds to "protect" him knowing he could help the team this year going forward?
    Chapman is on the 40 man. Most guys who aren't going to be called up this year aren't on the 40 man, so adding them now is just a waste of a roster spot. Let them serve their suspension between now and the end of next April and move forward at that point. Don't risk talent for that.

How about a guy like Harper, doug, whose suspension could very well hurt the value of the franchise?

Or Montero for the Yanks, if Posada gets hurt?

How about trading chips, like Mesoraco or Domonic Brown?
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

How about a guy like Harper, doug, whose suspension could very well hurt the value of the franchise?

Or Montero for the Yanks, if Posada gets hurt?

How about trading chips, like Mesoraco or Domonic Brown?
    Brown, maybe. Because he could be a guy that could help a team between now and April 2011. With Harper, it doesn't matter. He is getting a 40 man deal, which I believe keeps him out of the program.

I could see something like that happening but only someone close to the majors and if the player had the stones to admit it to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I could see something like that happening but only someone close to the majors and if the player had the stones to admit it to the team.
    Let's be honest here. Team's know who is and who isn't for the most part. Guys talk, managers and coaches listen and it gets back through the grapevine. They can discourage a kid but out and out I don't think to many teams would cut a kid for using. Unless he gets caught.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

-The Insider-

The Brewers last month randomly added Jeremy Jeffries on the 40. Many thought it was because he would have gotten tested for weed soon and if he got caught again, he'd have a life time ban from baseball.

Could the new blood testing be why Arredondo is on the 40 man roster now?

Turn Off Ads?