Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Prospectus hits the nail on the head

Baseball Prospectus hits the nail on the head

Shortstop: Orlando Cabrera (.230 TAv, 0.0 WARP), Reds
    The well-traveled 35-year-old, who shored up the Twins' infield at the deadline last summer, is showing his age. He's having his worst season ever with the bat (.252/.293/.339 in a hitter-friendly environment) , and his normally reliable glove work has been subpar (-8 FRAA) as well. As if all of that weren't bad enough, Dusty Baker has been batting him in the first or second spot in the lineup, the latest manifestation of an ongoing problem.

Remedy (?): As Kevin Goldstein pointed out on Monday, Triple-A shortstop Zack Cozart (.252 TAv) offers plus defense and surprising power to compensate for his own shortcomings in the on-base department. If the Reds want to look beyond their own organization, the Nationals' Cristian Guzman is hitting .296/.343/.368; he's got about $3.5 million remaining on his deal. The Diamondbacks' Stephen Drew (.266 TAv, 1.3 WARP) won't be a free agent until after 2012; he makes much less than Guzman and might be worth trading an actual prospect for a multi-season upgrade. As a bonus, the Reds could take advantage of Cabrera's reputation as a mid-season savoir and flip him to a team convinced he's still got those essential veteran herbs and spices.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Re: Baseball Prospectus hits the nail on the head

Yeah bring Cozart up,thats all we need is a greenhorn SS in a pennant race.OC brings more to the table than just his on field play.The problem isn't OC,the other sticks need to hold their own as well.Without veterans like Rolen and Cabrera,who knows what it takes to win,and has been there before,do you think this team would have come this far already without veteran leadership?
    There's more then meets the eye than numbers on the field.Minor league numbers no way dictate how well a player does in the bigs.Now ain't the time for on the job training my friend.Guzman would be an upgrade,but he is the 2nd baseman there.Drew under contract till 2012?Why would the DBacks want to move him this year when he is a star there,and they have him next year,then I could see them moving him in his FA year.
    Sorry but Baseball Prospectus does not ''hit the nail on the head'' in this article,in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    Yeah bring Cozart up,thats all we need is a greenhorn SS in a pennant race.OC brings more to the table than just his on field play.The problem isn't OC,the other sticks need to hold their own as well.Without veterans like Rolen and Cabrera,who knows what it takes to win,and has been there before,do you think this team would have come this far already without veteran leadership?
    There's more then meets the eye than numbers on the field.Minor league numbers no way dictate how well a player does in the bigs.Now ain't the time for on the job training my friend.Guzman would be an upgrade,but he is the 2nd baseman there.Drew under contract till 2012?Why would the DBacks want to move him this year when he is a star there,and they have him next year,then I could see them moving him in his FA year.
    Sorry but Baseball Prospectus does not ''hit the nail on the head'' in this article,in my opinion.

Your right lets keep a non hitting defensive liablity on the field because he "brings" that veteran mentality to the game. OMG what a load of crapola if i ever heard. Baseball is a simple game...You catch the ball, you hit the ball...Orlando does neither very well, but lets keep him around:thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post

I dont buy stock in the "OC leads this team and his vet presence is needed" theory....

If OC is not leading by example....and we have proff of that, then how is OC leading this team...how is the fact that he has "been there" helping our guys? Is he telling them nightly stories about his days in a playoff race? is he sitting guys down around the hot tub talking about how he has made the postseason the last 8 years?

I just dont see how OC is helping this team....for all we know he is a cancer, we are not in that locker room or dugout to see what kind of teammate he is...but what we can see is his stats....we can watch him each and every night....and he is not leading by example......

so if he is not leading by example but is leading in other ways, then lets let OC lead the way he does, and lets allow Paul Janish to play SS..OCab can lead from the bench where he belongs....

I dont hate the guy, I just cant stand to see people act as if he is a major leader....he is no Rolen, Scott is leading by putting stats up that count. I am also not saying OC in not helpful, I am sure he helps the guys out as much as he can....but at some point you have to put up numbers or your voice is not gonna be enough.....

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I dont buy stock in the "OC leads this team and his vet presence is needed" theory....

If OC is not leading by example....and we have proff of that, then how is OC leading this team...how is the fact that he has "been there" helping our guys? Is he telling them nightly stories about his days in a playoff race? is he sitting guys down around the hot tub talking about how he has made the postseason the last 8 years?

I just dont see how OC is helping this team....for all we know he is a cancer, we are not in that locker room or dugout to see what kind of teammate he is...but what we can see is his stats....we can watch him each and every night....and he is not leading by example......

so if he is not leading by example but is leading in other ways, then lets let OC lead the way he does, and lets allow Paul Janish to play SS..OCab can lead from the bench where he belongs....

I dont hate the guy, I just cant stand to see people act as if he is a major leader....he is no Rolen, Scott is leading by putting stats up that count. I am also not saying OC in not helpful, I am sure he helps the guys out as much as he can....but at some point you have to put up numbers or your voice is not gonna be enough.....
    Then why do all of his younger teammates call him a leader and have talked about numerous times the type of veteran leadership he brings to the locker room. Why do they keep saying that? Do you even pay attention to this team?

You arm chair GM's are a joke sometimes.

I did not said he leads this team all alone.Go back and read my post,cause you seem to miss the ''without veterans like Rolen and Cabrera''.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale4Saul2Red0 View Post
    Then why do all of his younger teammates call him a leader and have talked about numerous times the type of veteran leadership he brings to the locker room. Why do they keep saying that? Do you even pay attention to this team?

You arm chair GM's are a joke sometimes.
    i don't give a rats butt why they call him, what does he do on the field, that's all that matters. Veteran leadership and a $1 will get you a cup of coffee, a good hitting, good defensive SS can get us into the playoffs...

See the difference?

You won't point out he is hitting .387 in his past 8 games either though will you? LOL! Real perfect timing for this post when he has been one of our best hitters the past 2 weeks.

Since all you want to look at is numbers put that in your pipe and smoke it. You've obviously never been part of a real sports team so you don't understand locker room chemistry and the impact it can have on a team. You don't understand the value of having experience on your team and that type of stuff doesn't show up in the box score. Go ahead say you don't give a rats butt again. You're just basically saying you don't care what our players think nor do you care about comradery. Good arm chair managing, you DA MAN!
    Last edited by Dale4Saul2Red0; 07-23-2010 at 07:00 PM.

You won't point out he is hitting .387 in his past 8 games either though will you? LOL! Real perfect timing for this post when he has been one of our best hitters the past 2 weeks.

Since all you want to look at is numbers put that in your pipe and smoke it. You've obviously never been part of a real sports team so you don't understand locker room chemistry and the impact it can have on a team. Go ahead say you don't give a rats butt again. You're just basically saying you don't care what our players think. Good arm chair managing, you DA MAN!
    Well gee using your short termness send Volquez down he can't control his pitches...you have to look at the entire season.

Nah I'm just pointing out how clueless you are in the timing of your post and you are just showing you really don't know much about this team at all. It's embarrassing. Kind of like your Cards in panic mode post. It's just sad. Stop while you're behind please. You're talking about look at the whole body and then you have a completely opposite post about the Cardinals not scoring a run in 20 innings. How inconsistent can someone be. Get out of here.
    Last edited by Dale4Saul2Red0; 07-23-2010 at 07:03 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

OCab batting second is what's a joke.

And the beat goes on with this team.......

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    OCab batting second is what's a joke.

And the beat goes on with this team.......
    Not the way he has been hitting the ball the past 2 weeks... no, no it isn't. Pay attention. God don't just complain to complain. You think Dusty and his staff doesn't know O Cab's AVG over the past 8 games??? Nothing wrong batting 2nd given his current little wave of hitting.

Nah I'm just pointing out how clueless you are in the timing of your post and you are just showing you really don't know much about this team at all. It's embarrassing. Kind of like your Cards in panic mode post. It's just sad. Stop while you're behind please. You're talking about look at the whole body and then you have a completely opposite post about the Cardinals not scoring a run in 20 innings. How inconsistent can someone be. Get out of here.

At some point you have to bring it to the field also. If you make everyone better and you are the worst player on the field are you really worth that much?

I got to give it to BRM7675,with his questionable,albeit comical threads.The Sun Deck ain't been this hoppin in years.Keep it up man,no matter what,you got us talkin Reds baseball.

Turn Off Ads?