Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dispensables (err, Expendables)

The Dispensables (err, Expendables)

Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li and Stone Cold Steve Austin coming to a theatre near you in three weeks.

Ten years ago this would have been so amazing.

Now? I feel like this is the date I never got with the homecoming queen until after she had put on 50 pounds, had three children and been married twice.

I smell flop. The action will be amazing, I'm sure, but looking at the other characters (Jason Statham, Eric Roberts, David Zayas), I don't see enough in character development to support the focus of aging action figures. Oh, and as an aside, Mickey Rourke is also in this film, though like Willis and Schwarzenegger, seems to be more of a supporting role.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The Dispensables (err, Expendables)

It just cracks me up that in the previews they say action stars Steve Austin and Randy Couture....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It just cracks me up that in the previews they say action stars Steve Austin and Randy Couture....
    That is kind of comical, although I imagine they're trying to market to the younger generation of movie-goers that won't relate to the bigger names of yesteryear.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Hong Kong action films have caused me to lose interest in most Hollywood action flicks. Jackie Chan, Sammo or Donnie Yen would jump off a 40 foot building onto a thin mattress then roll, leap up & kick the bad guy in the face. All in one take. Jackie was especially insane. Its a wonder he is still alive.
    By the time he became a star in Hollywood he was already getting a bit old so his stunts were toned down. Check out some of his late 1970s or 1980s work & you'll be shocked that the main star is doing the stunts he does.
    Michelle Yeoh & Jackie trying to one up each other in Supercop 2 was the best. Michelle took three takes but landed her motorcycle onto a moving train (the first 2 times she drove off the train & crashed). Michelle is a former Miss Malaysia & strikingly beautiful. Yet in Hong Kong she did her own stunts!
    I will state that I have enjoyed a few Luc Besson films like Taken & The Transporter but in general I have no interest in over the hill actors using wires, CGI & stunt doubles to do their action sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Hong Kong action films have caused me to lose interest in most Hollywood action flicks. Jackie Chan, Sammo or Donnie Yen would jump off a 40 foot building onto a thin mattress then roll, leap up & kick the bad guy in the face. All in one take. Jackie was especially insane. Its a wonder he is still alive.
    By the time he became a star in Hollywood he was already getting a bit old so his stunts were toned down. Check out some of his late 1970s or 1980s work & you'll be shocked that the main star is doing the stunts he does.
    Michelle Yeoh & Jackie trying to one up each other in Supercop 2 was the best. Michelle took three takes but landed her motorcycle onto a moving train (the first 2 times she drove off the train & crashed). Michelle is a former Miss Malaysia & strikingly beautiful. Yet in Hong Kong she did her own stunts!
    I will state that I have enjoyed a few Luc Besson films like Taken & The Transporter but in general I have no interest in over the hill actors using wires, CGI & stunt doubles to do their action sequences.
    Agreed. My problem with Hollywood films is that, while the special effects are tremendous, the stunts become secondary to the art. I don't mind that if it weren't for the fact too many of the effects deviate from reality. For instance: the Hollywood "explosions" have run their course. How many times do we need to see an explosion on a simple car crash? LOL

I'm not necessarily huge on the action in the form of raw fight scenes or stunts, but would appreciate them in conjunction with a healthy, rationed dose of effects, GI and other tricks of the trade.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to this.

After all, you don't have to tell anyone when you dated the homecoming queen-- just that you did.

Movie will be awesome.

Tastes change over time. People think Honda Civics all modded up are 'cool' now whereas muscle cars were all the rage once upon a time.

These guys are not 'A' level actors anymore, but this movie has a lot of potential to do decent business at the box office. I'd bet we're more likely to see a part two than this one being a flop.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Where is Chuck Norris though?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Where is Chuck Norris though?
    Everywhere. He's probably watching you right now.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Everywhere. He's probably watching you right now.
    Haha. +1

I thought that the last Rocky movie (that would be VI) was going to flop, too, but it did very well. You never know...

I think the movie will do really well and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Even if it is terrible it should at least be hilarious without trying.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I thought that the last Rocky movie (that would be VI) was going to flop, too, but it did very well. You never know...
    That's a pretty good example. That film did do $70 million in the box office, although while the production budget was low, they spent a ton of money promoting that movie. Still, I agree that was moderate success considering how disastrous it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I think the movie will do really well and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Even if it is terrible it should at least be hilarious without trying.
    From the clips and stuff I've seen its basically 100% 80s action flick. Like corny and awesome 1 liners, and lots of over the top explosions.

Turn Off Ads?