Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: without Scott Rolen

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

without Scott Rolen

I know that many of you are calling for the end of the world with this team:
    not being in 1st place,
    Bronson getting smacked around by the Nationals (Bad),
    Volquez pitching under expectations on Thursday (really bad),
    Our line up that day (unbelievably bad),
    Wood giving up 4 runs tonight (he is human after all),
    and Cairo starting at 3rd base for an extended period of time.
    And of course St. Louis being the "Front runner" for Oswald.

But I really believe that if this Reds team can play .500 ball without Scott Rolen we will be OK. If anyone really thinks otherwise please tell me otherwise. We have a stretch against the Astros and the Brewers. If we can simply split this road trip, and Rolen not spend any extended period of time not playing I think we will be OK.

If you think that I am wrong please tell me otherwise.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: without Scott Rolen

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    I know that many of you are calling for the end of the world with this team:
    not being in 1st place,
    Bronson getting smacked around by the Nationals (Bad),
    Volquez pitching under expectations on Thursday (really bad),
    Our line up that day (unbelievably bad),
    Wood giving up 4 runs tonight (he is human after all),
    and Cairo starting at 3rd base for an extended period of time.
    And of course St. Louis being the "Front runner" for Oswald.

But I really believe that if this Reds team can play .500 ball without Scott Rolen we will be OK. If anyone really thinks otherwise please tell me otherwise. We have a stretch against the Astros and the Brewers. If we can simply split this road trip, and Rolen not spend any extended period of time not playing I think we will be OK.

If you think that I am wrong please tell me otherwise.
    Deffinate trouble if we dont Add a Right Handed Power Bat...

Would Love to Get an ACE Pitcher.

Greinke is available...

Rolen is like a bonus player...when he is fit he helps the team. But the Reds will still win w/out him. Take away his stats and the Reds would STILL be the best hitting and running team in the NL.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Rolen is like a bonus player...when he is fit he helps the team. But the Reds will still win w/out him. Take away his stats and the Reds would STILL be the best hitting and running team in the NL.
    It sounds cliche to say this, but Rolen does things you don't see in the boxscore.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    It sounds cliche to say this, but Rolen does things you don't see in the boxscore.
    We all know that, Lebowski...his D is the best, his base running is super, his clutch hitting and power are way above average.

But his body is weak. To be such a big hulk he is a bit fragile.
    Last edited by Red in Chicago; 07-24-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: baiting

We all know that, Lebowski...his D is the best, his base running is super, his clutch hitting and power are way above average.

But his body is weak. To be such a big hulk he is a bit fragile. He is paying the price for all the 'roids he did between 2003 and 2006. They all are.
    Scotty has never been suspected, nor am I sure why you would suspect him. He's an injury prone player because he's a max effort guy and has thrown his body around a major league diamond for 15 years. Steroids are possible, but I wouldn't say probable in Scotty's case.

JordanCincyFan

without Rolen we lose a great bat to have in the lineup, without Rolen we lose a alltime great defensive 3rd baseman, without Rolen we lose leadership, without Rolen we lose offense! i do believe we can play well without him, but we would be a whole lot better with him!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

But his body is weak. To be such a big hulk he is a bit fragile. He is paying the price for all the 'roids he did between 2003 and 2006. They all are.
    You're accusing him of doing roids...wow. One of the worst posts I've ever read.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Without Scott Rolen, there is a lot of pressure on unproven players like Gomes, Hannigan, Bruce, and Stubbs. With Rolen in the lineup, they couldn't pitch around Votto, now I pitch around him and make Gomes beat me. I pitch to Bruce for sure, who will bat in the 5th spot a lot more. Without Rolen we are an average team with holes.

Gut check time.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Deffinate trouble if we dont Add a Right Handed Power Bat...

Would Love to Get an ACE Pitcher.

Greinke is available...
    I don't think we need to trade away young talent for a rental player. I think we should stand pat and play through, unless Rolen is down for an extended period of time.

I like our young rotation next year. I don't think we need an Ace, I think he is here, just hasn't matured yet.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I never heard of Rolen included in the steriods mess either, but I wouldn't put it past him, he is very competitive. Steroids weren't just taken by the big, bad guys of the league, they were taken by anyone who wanted to be the best at their position. Ultra competitive guys who wanted to keep up with the curve. Doing steroids did not make you a bad person, it made you an opportunists.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    Steroids ... were taken by anyone who wanted to be the best at their position.
    You really think that? I know it was widespread, but I don't think that assessment is accurate.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I do. Brett Boone, Aaron Boone are 2 players that I read that tested positive for steroids. One that broke my heart was Hal Morris. In his final stint with the reds he tested positive in an attempt to be competitive again. Once again, I don't think it made them bad people, just needed to keep up with everyone else.

So what percentage would you put on it? 90%? I think most guys at the big league level have the desire to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    You're accusing him of doing roids...wow. One of the worst posts I've ever read.
    You are a bit naive to think that a Tony LaRussa player is above using when the guy is passing out the needles in the locker room. The list of A's and Cards caught 'roiding is huge, and NOT just the slammers like McGuire and Edmonds...pip squeeks like Aaron Miles, Fernando Vina
    and the ultimate mini-hulk Tatis. He did what he had to do to stay competitive.

Turn Off Ads?