Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Johnny Cueto

the Reds Press Pass Game Notes has Johnny Cueto going today, and Fay on twitter says that Johnny is looking pretty good. What would you do if your the manager? pitch someone who has much better stuff that just came off being ill (and I sure is weak because of it) or pitch someone who is just coming off the DL in Sam Lecure (who may not be as weak as Cueto) How fast do you pull Cueto if that is your choice, and what is your back up plan if he goes out there and is not felling wel. remember, your long relief man Owings is gone!
    BTW, FWIW Johnny has a 3.39 ERA I had no idea!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Cueto

You pitch Cueto because you don't need to make a roster move. And the fact that he gives you a better chance to win.

Lecure isn't just coming off the DL. Didn't he just go a 13 K 0 BB gem last week for L'ville?

Yeah I think this one is pretty easy, but I'm guessing there won't be a shortage of people that will hammer Dusty for the decision to pitch Cueto if he is ineffective tonight.

I guess my main concern is right now, what happens if Johnny Gets out their and can not compete due to weakness or whatever. you have like no options then. (unless you throw Ficher out to the sharks as well and make him pitch like 5 innings)

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I guess my main concern is right now, what happens if Johnny Gets out their and can not compete due to weakness or whatever. you have like no options then. (unless you throw Ficher out to the sharks as well and make him pitch like 5 innings)
    I think its a valid concern. Perhaps the right move would be to go with Cueto and activate Lecure anyway as an insurance policy. No matter what though, Cueto is probably the Reds best starter right now and he gets the ball.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Cueto at 70% I like over LeCure on his best day.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

not to jinx him, but it looks like my concerns were silly...

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Thank goodness Cueto was able to go tonight instead of Sam LeCure who isn't even close to ready for prime time.

Someone try and explain to me how LeCure got the first call-up this year over Travis Wood. Those are six starts lost right there. Absolutely horrible decision. The spring training decision came down to Leake or Wood for the No. 5 spot, yet when they needed someone to call up they first called upon LeCure? That was beyond terrible. Only a baseball novice would have thought that LeCure was a better option than Wood.

Cueto pitched an absolute GEM tonight. The guy looked sick, but not the kind of sick he was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Thank goodness Cueto was able to go tonight instead of Sam LeCure who isn't even close to ready for prime time.

Someone try and explain to me how LeCure got the first call-up this year over Travis Wood. Those are six starts lost right there. Absolutely horrible decision. The spring training decision came down to Leake or Wood for the No. 5 spot, yet when they needed someone to call up they first called upon LeCure? That was beyond terrible. Only a baseball novice would have thought that LeCure was a better option than Wood.
    I give Walt and Dusty the benefit of the doubt on most things. But I hated that decision as well.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Really simple, for all the claims about being scouting driven, many people in baseball have trouble ignoring certain stats. Wood had a fairly high ERA early in the year thanks to some HR issues and LeCure's was strong.

If the Reds weren't 100% that Wood was ready, but believed he was the better choice long term, it may have been one of those things where they didn't just want to jerk him around and LeCure looked like a guy who could string some solid starts together. The one that really bugged me was him getting the call over Maloney.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

"So Fla Red"

Good point. They should have called up Maloney first then Wood and then LeCure. Sam did pitch a couple of decent games and had a murderers row of aces he ran up against. Although they made the right call on Leake out of Spring Training.

The only good thing is that Wood won't be a Super-2 with a July call up date.

The bad side is the Reds bringing up Cueto from the git-go in 2008 and Leake in 2010 means one less year of control... Seems kind of silly to think about, but will become huge when 2013 rolls around and Cueto can walk if no extension is worked out.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Really simple, for all the claims about being scouting driven, many people in baseball have trouble ignoring certain stats. Wood had a fairly high ERA early in the year thanks to some HR issues and LeCure's was strong.

If the Reds weren't 100% that Wood was ready, but believed he was the better choice long term, it may have been one of those things where they didn't just want to jerk him around and LeCure looked like a guy who could string some solid starts together. The one that really bugged me was him getting the call over Maloney.
    Yeah... at the time, they were expecting to need a fill-in for one start, or maybe two or three over a 15-day DL turn, and they reached for the guy pitching best right that moment. Had they known Bailey was going to be out this long, maybe they take the longer view and make a different call. I don't know.

Nonetheless, it cost the Reds little if anything in the standings. In Lecure's six starts, we won two. In the four losses, the offense scored 0, 1, 1 and 3 runs. Maybe Wood wins the "3" game, but beyond that, it's not likely it changes the record at all. Having said that, I'm glad Wood is in the rotation now.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think it was more a cover your booty decision....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?