Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Royals finally getting their picks' worth

Royals finally getting their picks' worth

Scouring through the Royals' farm system, it seems all those years of high draft picks seem to be catching up. It looks like the system is about two years from really cashing in.

In the majors, you've got 24-year-old Billy Butler (1B/DH) who is a solid hitter with adequate power and you've got Alex Gordon over at third who raked in AAA, and perhaps this second time around can get things in gear and break out at 26.

Zack Greinke and Joakim Soria are filthy, though it's hard to say how long they will be around. It's a good bet Greinke will be gone within two years.

In AAA, they have 3B Mike Moustakas who has struggled in limited time thus far, but was a monster in AA -- .347-21-76-.413/.687/1.100 -- and not yet 22-years-old.

Then, there's my favorite 1B in all of baseball: Kila Ka'aihue. He's having another 1.000 OPS plus season with 21 homers and 69 RBIs.

Down in AA is just as rich. 1B Eric Hosmer (20) is OPS'ing over a combined 1.000 this year in two stops. He's batting over .340 and has more walks than K's. If they weren't deep enough at the position, Clint Robinson (25) is adding a .312-18-66 line with a slash line 391 / 579 / 970.

They've got Aaron Crow down there too. He's struggling with his control, but he's getting an otherworldly 3 groundballs to every flyball. And then there's, arguably, the creme of their crop - LHP Mike Montgomery, who has 62 strikeouts to 14 walks thus far in 12 starts.

Throw in 19-year-old catcher Wil Myers, who is raking and they're really high on; 2010 first-round-pick Christian Colon at SS; and LHP Chris Dwyer (22).

Really a very exciting system they've got right now. It would be cool to see all or most of these guys break in within a year or so of one another.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Royals finally getting their picks' worth

I agree...was discussion this on another baseball board the other day....I see them being another Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Oakland style team in the next few years.....they should be able to cash in on all those great prospects if they can get rid of them at the right time in their contracts....ala Billy Beane and Oakland

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I would cheer for the Royals so hard if they finally put together a decent team in a few years.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Yea it would definitely be cool to see them snap out of the ineptitude and have a good run. Baseball is more interesting when some of the smaller-market, lower-payroll teams stay competitive once in a while.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Moustakas has been scary good this year, not sure if he will ever really have a position. Watching him in Burlington a year and a half ago was brutal on an every night basis, but the kid can HIT.

Gordon has moved from 3B, not sure if that is really the answer but they have him playing the outfield now. He is one I am pulling for since he is a former Husker star.

Another huge addition to their system is the return to baseball by Danny Duffy. Hopefully he can return to form of what he was before he walked away from baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Moustakas has been scary good this year, not sure if he will ever really have a position. Watching him in Burlington a year and a half ago was brutal on an every night basis, but the kid can HIT.

Gordon has moved from 3B, not sure if that is really the answer but they have him playing the outfield now. He is one I am pulling for since he is a former Husker star.

Another huge addition to their system is the return to baseball by Danny Duffy. Hopefully he can return to form of what he was before he walked away from baseball.
    Good point on the move to left for Gordon. If he finishes the season well, it might spell the end for DeJasus with regard to the club option they hold on him for next year.

I know there was talk on Moustakas moving to RF, though I haven't heard much of that recently.

If I remember correctly, think he spent a few weeks at SS and that did not last at all in Low A. Then the move to 3B was an all out adventure, but maybe he is progressing this year?

Either way, the Royals are one team I do not mind much like the rest of you. Wouldn't mind seeing them turn things around.

KC has five really solid 1B/DH prosects and Alex Gordon, who they have no clue what to do with. Moustakas as a 3B is a great idea until you see him play. On the plus side, he has Bob Horner's body type.

I'd be rooting for these guys. Greinke might be the deciding factor. If they can cash in big on him, this team could be a monster in a few years.

Turn Off Ads?