Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturday July 24, 2010 Minor League Updates

Re: Saturday July 24, 2010 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    And Billings loses 5-4 in 10. In the top of the inning, manager Delino DeShields and pitching coach Bob Forsch were both ejected.
    Recalling Bob Forsch from his playing days, I'm still trying to get a picture in my mind of him going off the handle. He always seemed so composed. Guess somebody hit the right button...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Recalling Bob Forsch from his playing days, I'm still trying to get a picture in my mind of him going off the handle. He always seemed so composed. Guess somebody hit the right button...

Bob Forsch was the first pitcher to throw a no-hitter at Busch Stadium. Less than a year later his brother, Ken, also tossed one. Only brother combination to turn that particular trick. Early morning trivia for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    In the bottom of the ninth, the AZL Reds lost both the no-hitter and the lead. It's 1-1 with the inning still going. Patrick Quinn pitching. Is that yet another professional debut? I believe so. And it's an awfully tough one, in that situation. He's the 46th-round draft choice from a Florida JC.

Update: The AZL Reds lost it in the bottom of the 9th, 2-1.
    Tough way to lose. Quinn got five outs in the inning but looks like he misplayed a sacrifice attempt into a bunt single and shortstop Junior Arias made two errors behind him:

AZL Athletics Bottom 9th

Pitcher Change: Patrick Quinn replaces John Mugarian.
    Elvis Garcia reaches on throwing error by shortstop Junior Arias. Elvis Garcia to 2nd.
    Jensi Peralta singles on a bunt ground ball to pitcher Patrick Quinn. Elvis Garcia to 3rd.
    With Royce Consigli batting, Patrick Quinn picks off Jensi Peralta at 1st on throw to Robert Maddox.
    Royce Consigli singles on a ground ball to right fielder Drew Poulk. Elvis Garcia scores.
    Miguel Marte reaches on force attempt, fielding error by shortstop Junior Arias. Royce Consigli to 3rd.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Rashad Ramsey replaces Miguel Marte.
    Mitch LeVier lines out to second baseman Adam Muenster.
    Ramon Soto singles on a ground ball to center fielder Kurtis Muller. Royce Consigli scores. Rashad Ramsey to 2nd.

As I mentioned earlier went to the Dragons versus River Kings game last night. I wasn't impressed with the overall collection of talent they had there, but there were some nice pieces. I haven't been to one of their games this year, mainly because of scheduling, but I normally see them quite a bit. This team has a bunch of organizational guys on it imo. My observations

-Ryan Lamarre, athletically he sticks out. He reminds me of a right handed BJ Syzmanski a little. Lets just hope his bat develops. He had a very nice line drive double off the wall to the right of the 402 sign in right center. Nice speed, and shows a decent arm. During player introductions, they had the little kids run on the field. Once Lamarre got to his position, he talked with this little girl a little. Then he turned his back to her and adjusted his cup, for what seemed like along time. My wife was laughing. You know that little girl's parents had the video camera on him during that.

-Henry Rodriguez hit a homer above the line in the right field corner that was originally ruled a double. After some arguing the umps got together, and reversed to call to make it a homer. He has a nice short stroke that looks like it will play at higher levels. He was sure handed at second, but I wasn't too impressed with his footwork or range.

-DiDi Gregorious, this kid is very athletic, and made one very nice back handed stab spinning throw combo to nail a runner at first. That play made you take notice. He made a lot of contact at the plate fouling many pitches. He made an error on a ball that took a weird bounce and stayed low just under his glove. He was in the Dragon's gift shop after the game signing autographs, and my kids got his signature. I wanted to see what he looked like close up. He walked in right next to me and I was struck by how "long" he is. Long arms with a slender build, I would say a legit 6'2". He seemed to have a nice personality, a posed for a picture with my kids.

-Albert Means has been a player that intrigued me since the Reds drafted him. I came away thinking he has Ryan Freel type upside. If he is scrappy enough, as he develops I think he can develop into that type of player. Fast enough but not enough jumps out at you with the bat in his hands, based on one game.

-Mark Fleury looks like a catcher. I know some have been down on him, but he strikes you as the kind of guy that every team in the big leagues has, with the bat. He DH'd last night so I have no scouting report on him behind the plate. I will start paying closer attention to him, because I think he has some potential.

-Blair Carson was the starting pitcher for the Dragons. Very hittable, not much in the way of stuff.

-The River Kings had a few players I noticed. Matt Adams their first baseman looks like a nice young bat, and their third baseman Alan Ahmady looked good on a couple plays at third, he had a nice looking approach as well. I was looking for Shelby Miller, and the player I believe was him was walking along the first baseline during warm ups. He had a warm up on, not a jersey, and he did say hi to my son who was watching closely. Looked like a big stout kid. Jorge Rendon the starting pitcher featured a 94 MPH fastball all night but was very hittable, and if not for the poor lineup he faced should have been tagged for many more runs. Pedestrian off speed stuff.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Belated Box

Code:
    Player	        AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	AVG
    Dickerson CF	4	0	1	1	0	0	0	0	2	.400
    Dorn LF	        0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	.304
    Cozart SS	3	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	2	.262
    Francisco 3B	3	1	1	1	0	0	0	1	2	.276
    Frazier 1B	3	1	2	0	0	0	0	1	0	.232
    Balentien RF	3	1	1	1	0	0	1	0	1	.234
    Valaika 2B	2	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	1	.298
    Alonso PH	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	.273