Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "What if" v. Playoff rotation

Re: "What if" v. Playoff rotation

Leake will not be around to start in October.

With home field
    Cueto
    EV
    Bronson

Without home field
    Bronson
    Cueto
    EV

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    Arroyo was in the postseason in 2003-2005 with the Sawx. Coming out of the bullpen, he posted a 7.41 ERA in 17.0 IP and a 1.647 WHIP.

Not particularly dominant, but I think it shows he isn't effective out of the bullpen. He had pitched well during those regular seasons as a starter.

So anyway.. I would definitely put him as our #1 or #2 starter in the playoffs.

And I really REALLY hope that Harang does not get to sniff the playoffs if we make if there. I do not want him in there at all.
    Out of the bullpen or starting it doesn't matter, those stats show me he isn't likely against a playoff lineup to get hitters out. In 2010 against STL, SD, NYM, COL, and LA (possible playoff teams) he is 5-3 with a 4.90 ERA. Those are average numbers imo, not a #1 or #2 playoff starter numbers.

I do agree with you on Harang. I'll blame O'Brien I think it was for giving him so many years on his current contract.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Leake will not be around to start in October.

With home field
    Cueto
    EV
    Bronson

Without home field
    Bronson
    Cueto
    EV
    I think he'll be skipping starts or at least getting pushed back more often. The FO or Dusty will find away to have Leake start in October if he is one of the top three pitchers on the team going into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I think he'll be skipping starts or at least getting pushed back more often. The FO or Dusty will find away to have Leake start in October if he is one of the top three pitchers on the team going into the playoffs.
    I hope you are right, but with EV and Wood in the rotation it will be really hard to limit Leake's starts. He can go about 10-11 more times max this year, and that's stretching it. With 63 games left, outside of going to a 6man rotation with Harang I don't see where they can make it happen.

Cueto
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Wood

I like Arroyo as a change of pace between Cueto and Volquez.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    I hope you are right, but with EV and Wood in the rotation it will be really hard to limit Leake's starts. He can go about 10-11 more times max this year, and that's stretching it. With 63 games left, outside of going to a 6man rotation with Harang I don't see where they can make it happen.
    If they could find a way to go 2 weeks without him, I could see Mike sneezing his way onto the DL like Matt Latos.

Well you have to understand that the reds are in a good position with starting pitching right now. We have the depth in our starting pitching to go into the playoffs with 4 good starting pitchers, without hurting our rookie arms. No, we do not have an astonishing rotation. But we Cueto, Arroyo, Volquez, and Wood who all four have proved this year that they are capable of great things.

I believe that the reds should let Leake pitch his set amount of innings for the year, and then let Wood take his spot in the rotation. All the while letting Wood take a start for Harang every once in a while. Once playoff time comes, you have a good pitcher in Wood who has now gotten some good innings in the majors pitch for you in a fourth spot in the playoff pitching rotation.

I have a really hard time sitting Leake for the playoffs simply because he has reached his "maximum innings" mark. I don't want to jeopardize his future, but if we make it to the postseason, he would have been a huge reason why. He has great composure and confidence, and he's exactly the type of player I would want starting a playoff game. They really need a find a way to limit his innings during the season so that he will be available for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I have a really hard time sitting Leake for the playoffs simply because he has reached his "maximum innings" mark. I don't want to jeopardize his future, but if we make it to the postseason, he would have been a huge reason why. He has great composure and confidence, and he's exactly the type of player I would want starting a playoff game. They really need a find a way to limit his innings during the season so that he will be available for the playoffs.
    He's not going to be available for the playoffs man. We don't use him now, we likely wont be in contention come mid September. We use him now, he won't be available come postseason ball.

We use him now and pitch him then and we ruin the arm of possible future ace and Dusty gets run out of town when everyone blames it on him. I'd much rather save his arm than risking it..especially when we have the talent to be there every year for years to come. We ruin his arm and we ruin that possibility as well.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Out of the bullpen or starting it doesn't matter, those stats show me he isn't likely against a playoff lineup to get hitters out. In 2010 against STL, SD, NYM, COL, and LA (possible playoff teams) he is 5-3 with a 4.90 ERA. Those are average numbers imo, not a #1 or #2 playoff starter numbers.

I do agree with you on Harang. I'll blame O'Brien I think it was for giving him so many years on his current contract.
    I'd argue in defense of Arroyo, but I think I'll steer clear of arguments concerning the playoffs for at least another month and a half.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

GREAT topic......here is my take

why cant you use Wood and Leake out of the pen if their innings are an issue? Lets say Bronson is our #1 starter....Bronson is known to either be lights out or horrible....if he is the latter then instead of going to the pen in the 3rd inning and grabbing an unknown, go grab Travis Wood to go another 4 innings. I see no reason why we could not use those 2 guys for that situation and that would help solve a glaring problem in the pen.

So we got

Bronson
    Cueto
    Edinson

I see 3 starters who dominate when on and 2 starters who have the chance of maybe not getting past the 4th inning if their not on....and I dont trust our pen as it is going into the playoffs.....so adding Leake, Wood and maybe Aaron Harang to the pen might just solve that problem.....Harang maybe not since he has been a starter his entire career...but Wood and Leake are young and I am sure they can get ready in a short amount of time. Could we have a pen of

Wood
    Leake
    Jordan Smith
    Chapman
    Rhodes
    Masset
    Ondrusek
    Coco

Who else????? Bray maybe

its been so long since I have thought about a playoff team I cannot remember how many pen members we would carry going into the playoffs.
    Last edited by lidspinner; 07-25-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Bump. There you go.

Of course a lot will change before the end of the season. Arroyo and Cueto seem like locks. One of the big ? marks is Volquez. They need to see where he's at after a few more starts. If Wood continues at this pace he could the #4 guy. Also there is an outside chance Harang or Bailey could come off the DL and be in form. Bailey did it last year so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Bump. There you go.
    Yep, I completely missed this thread. If an admin wants to merge, that would be appropriate.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I would acquire Zach Grienke and Place him in the 1st hole...
    Me too. With the reporters even mentioning the names Grienke and Soria tells me that the Royals have though about it. As I mentioned in another thread, I would offer up just about anyone in our system for a package of those two. Two 26 yr old pitchers with considerable success already getting to their prime years. Grienke is under team control for 2011 and 2012 and Soria all the way to 2014. Bailey, Donnie Joseph, Heisey, Frazier and Cozart was my original offer for those two and DeJesus but I would throw in Alonzo also if it got the deal done. Offer Cordero to the Phillies for Jason Werth, they certainly need a closer.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?