Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery diagnosis help

Re: Mystery diagnosis help

Butler,

Do you consider yourself overwight?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've had a bulging disc for 30 years now and I'd only get cut on if I couldn't walk, while it hurts occasionally exercise is what keeps it in check for me, enough that I can still play sports and still ride a bike 50 plus miles.

Personally I don't want anyone to cut on me if I can avoid it.

I had a bad case of sciatica a couple years ago, and even though it's not the same as a bulging disc, I can vouch for the value of therapy. Two things especially:

1) I became aware that as a desk jockey my body had undergone a lot of change in the last ten years. For example, strengthening the core muscles helps enormously to compensate for other problems. I also have torn cartilege in both knees and found that bike commuting has strengthened my legs to the point that the cartilege never slips out of place anymore. Building strength can do wonders.

2) I developed a much better sense of posture and avoiding situations that can aggravate my own back. Also figured out that I can do everything I did when I was twenty, but that it requires a little thought and deliberation.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Butler,

Do you consider yourself overwight?
    Yes, while I wouldnt say obese I do have a big belly.

50% of normal, asymptomatic people will have some evidence of disc "bulge" or herniation on a spine MRI. The point is that imaging doesn't always find the cause of the problem (as it sounds like you experienced with finding the kidney stone on CT). So while the disc herniation you saw on MRI could feasibly be causing your symptoms, it also could just be coincidental. Which means after spending a lot of cash and taking a lot of risk by having surgery to repair it, you may find the symptoms haven't changed. Or even that you have some new ones post-surgically.

Just be aware that the road to surgery isn't a guaranteed fix. I'd try everything you could before exploring that option... exercise, weight loss, control with NSAIDS / muscle relaxants, etc. A PM&R doc as mentioned earlier seems like a good idea. Hope you get to feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Yes, while I wouldnt say obese I do have a big belly.
    Take it from a guy that knows, that excess weight is having a negative impact on your situation. I have had back problems on and off for years and I speak from experience when I tell you it doesn't take much. I've never been large either but when I get across a certain threshold I'm very vulnerable to back issues. Once you've injured your back as in my case, from that point on you're always more suseptible to the same issues. When I keep my weight in check, which I do for the most part, there are no problems.

Just a thought...

Butler sounds like my diagnosis about 10 yrs ago... I have good days, and bad....

BUT

My good days were much more prevelant before I gained about 20lbs... Extra weight = extra bad days...

My challenge is I'm a desk jockey, and before if I wanted to lose weight I just worked out harder. No more. Now it's counting calories, and water aerobics. The disks weren't that big a deal... my problem is the arthritis and associated bone spurs. My family is genetically pre-disposed for arthritis...ie... I've got bad arthritis cases on both side of my family for several generations... so the arthritis is what's causing all my issues. I'm not a candidate for surgery until the bones begin to fuse on their own... so for now treat the arthritis as best I can and try to keep the weight off.

I've had about 7 Epidural steroid injections into my spine (and about a dozen or so in the facets) and that relieves the pain a lot. I treat the arthritis by trying to eat all natural/organic, keep my weight down, exercise, drink plenty of water, keep moving and take my meds... I've been living with it since 95, but didn't get the full diagnosis until about 10yrs ago..
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

As I write this I have been in a chalet in Tennessee for 3 nights...the bed here is much softer than mine at home and havent been strapped to a computer chair and computer at work since last Friday...dont know if its just that i'm glad im on vaca or maybe the arthritis isnt acting up but my back and side have hardly bothered me the whole time i've been here..not complaining though...

Turn Off Ads?