Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 9 Games Straight.. No Rolen

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

9 Games Straight.. No Rolen

This team should of DL'd All Star Rolen and recalled Juan Francisco. You do two things.. Add power to the line-up to compinsate for Rolen and you showcase Francisco in a potential Haren deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 9 Games Straight.. No Rolen

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    This team should of DL'd All Star Rolen and recalled Juan Francisco. You do two things.. Add power to the line-up to compinsate for Rolen and you showcase Francisco in a potential Haren deal.
    And if Juan falls flat on his face...you HURT his trade value. That being said, we're 5-3 without Rolen during this stretch and Cairo has gone 6 for 20 with 5 walks and a dinger. I'm not so sure Rolen would've done better.

If he comes back before 15 days is up, it's a good move IMO. We haven't really been stretched very thin in any of these games being a man short.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I agree with Sir Charles, the third base replacements have done a heck of a job during the strech, and it makes this mistake A LOT easier to sallow.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

The difficult thing with "day to day" injuries is that you never know if it's something that will clear up quickly (3-4 days) and the guys back. If you DL him, you're stuck waiting out the time left. It's always a difficult call and we've managed to do well enough.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I agree with Sir Charles, the third base replacements have done a heck of a job during the strech, and it makes this mistake A LOT easier to sallow.
    Is it really a mistake? Maybe the feeling was that they could take a shot due to the weak schedule this week. Their decision may have been different if it was St Louis and Atlanta on th docket.

Rolen should have been DL'ed, no quesiton. The Reds have always been against that when players should be DL'ed, leaving the bench short. Miraculously, it hasn't hurt them too bad, but it still doesn't make sense.

Rolen himself told Fay today that he hopes to be in the lineup sometime in the Milwaukee series.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Rolen himself told Fay today that he hopes to be in the lineup sometime in the Milwaukee series.

Hopefully not the finale..

And people kept telling me he'd be back any day now. This is just silly.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think it does speak as to how highly the Reds value Rolen. On one hand, you're playing one man short for 5-10 games. On the other hand, if you DL him, he's out 15 days guaranteed.

It looks like the Reds are exchanging being one man short for those games so they can get him back a few days short of the 15 days. A high price, but it appears to be a deliberate thing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    And if Juan falls flat on his face...you HURT his trade value.
    Pretty sure his early season appearance would have hurt that value already.

That said I wouldn't have called him up, get somebody though, 24 man rosters are for the birds.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?