Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Series? Get a Closer

World Series? Get a Closer

If the Reds truly want to get to the next level, with not only getting into the playoffs, but making a strong run for the World Series, they need to get a closer who can truly be reliable. Cordero has been pretty average this season as a closer and I wouldn't assume he's going to be getting any better. This is what Cordero is posting this year as our closer:

44.2 IP: 1.50 WHIP, 2.50 OPP BA, 3.83 ERA

Pretty pedestrian numbers from a contending team's closer.

Now, look back at the five previous World Series winners and their closer's numbers for the season.

Mariano Rivera:
    66.1 IP: .90 WHIP, .197 OPP BA, 1.76 ERA

Brad Lidge:
    69.1 IP: 1.23 WHIP, .198 OPP BA, 1.95 ERA

Jonathan Papelbon:
    58.1 IP: .77 WHIP, .136 OPP BA, 1.85 ERA

Adam Wainwright: (*Isringhausen missed entire Postseason)
    9.2 IP: .93 WHIP, .237 OPP BA, 0.00 ERA

Bobby Jenks:
    39.1 IP: 1.25 WHIP, .225 OPP BA, 2.75 ERA

It's pretty evident that you need a good closer if you want to win a World Series. And it has become even more evident that Cordero isn't going to cut it, especially in comparison to past World Series winning closers.

Seeing how their isn't a #1 starter available that is worth trading for, and I really don't see the need for the Reds to go out and get an impact bat, I'd really hope for the Reds to go out and get an impact closer, such as Joakim Soria or even Carlos Marmol (highly unlikely, I realize that).

Soria:
    40.0 IP: 1.20 WHIP, .245 OPP BA, 2.25 ERA

Marmol:
    46.1 IP: 1.25 WHIP, .148 OPP BA, 2.72 ERA

Keep in mind, I think both of their numbers would improve. Both would see an improvement in the defense behind them and would be going to a contending team. Soria would also be leaving the AL and be going to the NL.

If I'm Walt, I'm on the phone with Moore or Hendry, and I'm asking them what it'd take to get either of them. It'd probably cost us Alonso in either case, and plus some (obviously), but I'd still do it in a heartbeat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: World Series? Get a Closer

Chapman will be like Francisco Rodriguez was in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    K-Rod could throw strikes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    KRod's '02 minor league numbers aren't very similar to Chapman's. And now with Haren gone, I'd go all out for Soria or Marmol.

I think the Reds need a bat not another pitcher.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Reds plan to bring Chapman up and have him bean the best players in the postseason and put them out.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

When Marmol is on he is great, but he has plenty of Cordero-like meltdowns as well. I don't really see him being much of an upgrade since he is very unreliable.

Soria on the otherhand would be great to have, but I don't think the Reds would be able to get him without overpaying. Alonso could be worth a lot for the Reds next year, why sell him short before he finally develops?

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

If you don't see Marmol as much of an upgrade over Cordero then you're nuts. Guy has the most unhittable stuff in the majors.

Doesn't matter, the Cubs won't be trading the guy anytime soon.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    If you don't see Marmol as much of an upgrade over Cordero then you're nuts. Guy has the most unhittable stuff in the majors.

Doesn't matter, the Cubs won't be trading the guy anytime soon.
    And if they do, it won't be to us or the Cards.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    When Marmol is on he is great, but he has plenty of Cordero-like meltdowns as well. I don't really see him being much of an upgrade since he is very unreliable.
    I wonder if people realize that pitchers can't go in there every day and throw zeros every day. Not one pitcher in major league history has done so his whole career. EXPECT pitchers to meltdown every once in a while, it happens. Marmol is one of the most reliable relievers in the majors. If it wasn't for a recent outing where he gave up 4 ER, his ERA would be under 2. The dude has pitched great every year since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think the Reds need a bat not another pitcher.
    I concur.

This team should do this.

Trade for Corey Hart. Move Bruce to CENTER.

Trade the Farm for Zach Greinke and Joakim Soria and go to the World Series.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I concur.

This team should do this.

Trade for Corey Hart. Move Bruce to CENTER.

Trade the Farm for Zach Greinke and Joakim Soria and go to the World Series.
    We're talking real baseball here, not fantasy. Greinke isn't going anywhere. Soria would cost an arm and a leg. So would Hart, and we'd be trading within our own division.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    We're talking real baseball here, not fantasy. Greinke isn't going anywhere. Soria would cost an arm and a leg. So would Hart, and we'd be trading within our own division.
    Seattle Traded Lee to the Rangers. I think they are in the same division.

Also, KC is shopping Greinke. Tampa Bay is one of the interested teams.

Greinke is the kind of Pitcher this team needs... Young, under contract, and a cornerstone player who the Reds Should over pay to get.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    I wonder if people realize that pitchers can't go in there every day and throw zeros every day. Not one pitcher in major league history has done so his whole career. EXPECT pitchers to meltdown every once in a while, it happens. Marmol is one of the most reliable relievers in the majors. If it wasn't for a recent outing where he gave up 4 ER, his ERA would be under 2. The dude has pitched great every year since 2006.
    Well if meltdowns are to be expected, I'm perfectly happy keeping what we have now. Is Marmol really worth a Yonder Alonso? It's really not even close IMO. Why make such a panicked decision before knowing the value of Isringhausen or Springer?

Of course every team would like a better bullpen, but it's not like the Reds can try to get whomever they want. It's a very weak market this year since many teams are still left in the playoff hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Well if meltdowns are to be expected, I'm perfectly happy keeping what we have now. Is Marmol really worth a Yonder Alonso? It's really not even close IMO. Why make such a panicked decision before knowing the value of Isringhausen or Springer?

Of course every team would like a better bullpen, but it's not like the Reds can try to get whomever they want. It's a very weak market this year since many teams are still left in the playoff hunt.
    Have you not seen the trade for Haren??????

Marmol would NOT cost YONDER ALONSO

GEEEEEEESCH...

Lets get real people!

Turn Off Ads?