If the Reds truly want to get to the next level, with not only getting into the playoffs, but making a strong run for the World Series, they need to get a closer who can truly be reliable. Cordero has been pretty average this season as a closer and I wouldn't assume he's going to be getting any better. This is what Cordero is posting this year as our closer:

44.2 IP: 1.50 WHIP, 2.50 OPP BA, 3.83 ERA

Pretty pedestrian numbers from a contending team's closer.

Now, look back at the five previous World Series winners and their closer's numbers for the season.

Mariano Rivera:
66.1 IP: .90 WHIP, .197 OPP BA, 1.76 ERA

Brad Lidge:
69.1 IP: 1.23 WHIP, .198 OPP BA, 1.95 ERA

Jonathan Papelbon:
58.1 IP: .77 WHIP, .136 OPP BA, 1.85 ERA

Adam Wainwright: (*Isringhausen missed entire Postseason)
9.2 IP: .93 WHIP, .237 OPP BA, 0.00 ERA

Bobby Jenks:
39.1 IP: 1.25 WHIP, .225 OPP BA, 2.75 ERA

It's pretty evident that you need a good closer if you want to win a World Series. And it has become even more evident that Cordero isn't going to cut it, especially in comparison to past World Series winning closers.

Seeing how their isn't a #1 starter available that is worth trading for, and I really don't see the need for the Reds to go out and get an impact bat, I'd really hope for the Reds to go out and get an impact closer, such as Joakim Soria or even Carlos Marmol (highly unlikely, I realize that).

Soria:
40.0 IP: 1.20 WHIP, .245 OPP BA, 2.25 ERA

Marmol:
46.1 IP: 1.25 WHIP, .148 OPP BA, 2.72 ERA

Keep in mind, I think both of their numbers would improve. Both would see an improvement in the defense behind them and would be going to a contending team. Soria would also be leaving the AL and be going to the NL.

If I'm Walt, I'm on the phone with Moore or Hendry, and I'm asking them what it'd take to get either of them. It'd probably cost us Alonso in either case, and plus some (obviously), but I'd still do it in a heartbeat.