Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75

Thread: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

  1. #31
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,796

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    OBM, am I correct in thinking that to be called up after September 1st, one must be on the 40-man roster. Therefore, if Springer and Izzy were to help in September, the Reds would have to DFA someone who is already on the 40-man. Since I know we have a number of players who are due to join the 40-man after this season, would it be smart for the Reds to trade a few of the low impact guys on the 40-man to get a guy like Scott Downs to consolidate roster spots and get a bigger bang for your buck from each spot?
    I'm not OBM, but the answer is yes if it can be done. Time to trade quantity for quality. I think there is a spot open from the DFA of Corky. Looking at the Roster, I'd say that Danny Rae Herrera is least likely to be of any help from here on out and he's the guy I'd DFA.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anyone else agree that the Reds could benefit as much as any team out there when the rosters expand to 40 on September 1st? Roster expansion will allow the Reds to add Aroldis Chapman (if he's not up by then), Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, Daniel Ray Herrera, and Micah Owings as bullpen depth, and possibly Matt Maloney and/or Sam Lecure to eat innings. And that's only the pitchers. Also, Homer Bailey should be back by then.

    As for the bats, I figure Juan Francisco is a lock to come up and add some power from the left side, and Yonder Alonso is a possibility too if he continues to hit well in the second half. I think we'll also see Drew Sutton called up to provide some versatility and Chris Dickerson too, though he may be up by then.
    I agree that talent wise they could get a boost, but if they are still in the race I have my doubts that Dusty would know what to do with all the guys. In the past the managers choice of which players to use was somewhat irrelevant because of the team's playoff standings. When the games mean something other than arbitration raises I think Dusty will definitely prefer using the guys with experience over the younger players.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    263

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Yorman hits a walk off bomb in the 11th to give the Mustangs the win.

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Ronald Torreyes was 2 for 2 today in the VSL Reds' 8-7 loss. He now sits at .398. That's with a .476 OBP and 1.106 OPS. Normally a 3B, he's been playing more SS lately, including today.

  6. #35
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Yorman hits a walk off bomb in the 11th to give the Mustangs the win.
    Nice. Raw and extremely toolsy 17-year old CF prospect OPSing around .820 in the Pioneer League? I love it.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    It's pretty impressive that, at 7-3, Jordan Hotchkiss has a .700 winning percentage for a team that is .377 in other games. He and Lynchburg won today, 6-5.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,917

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anyone else agree that the Reds could benefit as much as any team out there when the rosters expand to 40 on September 1st? Roster expansion will allow the Reds to add Aroldis Chapman (if he's not up by then), Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, Daniel Ray Herrera, and Micah Owings as bullpen depth, and possibly Matt Maloney and/or Sam Lecure to eat innings. And that's only the pitchers. Also, Homer Bailey should be back by then.

    As for the bats, I figure Juan Francisco is a lock to come up and add some power from the left side, and Yonder Alonso is a possibility too if he continues to hit well in the second half. I think we'll also see Drew Sutton called up to provide some versatility and Chris Dickerson too, though he may be up by then.
    There will be a third catcher too - most likely Corky - to keep Hannigan and Ramon fresh and give Dusty versatility

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Scott Carroll had a nice bounce-back start today as Carolina won, 5-1. Dave Sappelt's two hits put him at .352, and his 3 RBIs at 49 in 273 at-bats (in AA). I know a lot of people take a dim view of RBIs, but nevertheless, that's pretty strong for a little guy who rarely hits in the 4- or 5-hole.

  10. #39
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Dont forget Valaika.
    This just seems like it was a line in Doctor Zhivago.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    I agree that talent wise they could get a boost, but if they are still in the race I have my doubts that Dusty would know what to do with all the guys. In the past the managers choice of which players to use was somewhat irrelevant because of the team's playoff standings. When the games mean something other than arbitration raises I think Dusty will definitely prefer using the guys with experience over the younger players.
    Dorn is also a possibility. Avg. .307, OPS .894 The Reds are going to have to make a decision on him. He is rule five eligible this year.

    It would be nice to see either Mesoraco or Sappelt although I don't think it will happen.

    Mendez is also rule five eligible, but I don't think the Reds will make a decision on him until this winter.

  12. #41
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Dorn is also a possibility. Avg. .307, OPS .894 The Reds are going to have to make a decision on him. He is rule five eligible this year.

    It would be nice to see either Mesoraco or Sappelt although I don't think it will happen.

    Mendez is also rule five eligible, but I don't think the Reds will make a decision on him until this winter.
    I believe Dorn was Rule 5 eligible last year?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  13. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I believe Dorn was Rule 5 eligible last year?
    Your right. He was left unprotected but went undrafted.

  14. #43
    Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Edgewood, KY
    Posts
    632

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I believe Dorn was Rule 5 eligible last year?
    And no one picked him. This is true.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

  15. #44
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I believe Dorn was Rule 5 eligible last year?
    That's correct. The Reds didn't protect him, and no one chose him. There might be a few teams regretting that decision. I think it'll be a long time before the Reds have this much room on their 40-man roster following the 2010 season. Then again, the 2008 isn't exactly yielding the organization tons of promising prospects so far . . .

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

    just checked the box scores and saw the Dayton game went 16 innings.

    They lost 8-5.

    Andrew Means somehow managed to draw 2 walks tonight, going 2-6 with 2bb's and a stolen base. M. Fleury also went 2-5 with a 2b and 2bb.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25