Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So who likes Volquez for Hamilton trade now?

Re: So who likes Volquez for Hamilton trade now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Yeah but in this case. Hamilton is such a Special Player and Edinson has always been "Injury Prone"
    Hamilton missed 151 games in the three previous seasons before this year. He's had gastroenteritis, a sprained wrist, and a torn abdominal muscle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hamilton is injury prone, and he's already fallen off the wagon. Add in he has to have our last manager's brother around 24/7 as a baby sitter.

Just cracks me up how the Hamilton lovers are just like chicks with a big diamond..."OOOhhh look how shiny it is!" Get over it people.

It was a good trade for both teams, and we have many years ahead before you could ever truly judge it, so leave it be.

The trade happened three years ago and all of a sudden people are bringing this up simply because Hamilton is having a great year and Edinson has been out with Tommy John. I bet these are the same people that were saying it was a good trade after Volquez went 17-6. The fact is, Volquez has gone 22-9 as a Red. He came back from surgery way sooner than expected, and he is a great addition to the rotation. People were clamoring for Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt or another big arm. Well, the return of Volquez is the same as acquiring an ace. He is great for this team.

And like Red said above, he needed a babysitter. There were also rumors that there was tension between the other players and Hamilton because the Reds were bending over backwards for him. When he was traded to the Rangers they were a bad team and they didn't care what had to be done for Hamilton. They were so excited to have a player like him that they would put up with all this extra babysitting crap.

You can't have a divided locker room and players holding contempt for another player. I'm sure there is a lot behind the scenes that didn't go public.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    I have wished a million times that the Reds had sent Adam Dunn to Texas instead of Hamilton. I think the Rangers would have taken that deal. Say what you will, Hamilton in this year's Reds lineup would have been awesome. That said, I really like Volquez too.
    They would not have taken Adam Dunn. The one guy that the Reds wanted from the Rangers was Volquez. The one guy that the Rangers wanted was Hamilton. There were countless offers from both sides trying to obtain the desired player without having to give up their prized possession. The Reds really wanted Volquez and made many offers that did not include Hamilton. Likewise, the Rangers made many offers for Hamilton that did not include Volquez.

They realized the trade that would have to happen, and that's how we got Volquez for Hamilton. Why the f would they want Adam Dunn?

Sometimes a manager can make the right call but it doesn't pan out - because his pinch hitter rockets one right at the center fielder or a loogie leaves a fastball up.

Based on the situation at the time, I don't blame the Reds at all for making that trade. And putting aside the injuries, it was working. Volquez showed he belongs in the majors. And Hamilton's history of injuries and substance abuse would have made any GM worry at the time.

The front office made a calculated gamble based on good scouting reports. As with so many things, the end result is sort of out of their hands.

Sorry, but I'll still make that trade. I loved watching Josh Hamilton play, but I'll take the pitching over the hitting any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    and twice on Sunday.
    haha.. this year i might take hitting over pitching on sundays

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Yeah but in this case. Hamilton is such a Special Player and Edinson has always been "Injury Prone"
    The REDS lead the league in RUNS.

Leading the league in runs doesn't win Championships.

Leading the league in pitching does.

The reason the San Francisco Giants have won 16 of their last 20 is because they have outstanding starting pitching....the best in the National League.

The REDS improve themselves much more with Volquez than they improve themselves with Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The REDS lead the league in RUNS.

Leading the league in runs doesn't win Championships.

Leading the league in pitching does.

The reason the San Francisco Giants have won 16 of their last 20 is because they have outstanding starting pitching....the best in the National League.

The REDS improve themselves much more with Volquez than they improve themselves with Hamilton.
    The Padres and Cardinals pitch better than the Giants.

There are so many stubborn people on these board.

They just cant admit and eat crow when they were wrong.

Ive cried out loud when the trade was going down.

I cried out loud when volquez had a great record but the reds still didnt have a winning record.

And im still saying it now. This will go down as the worst trade in reds history.

The day we gave up one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Johs hamilton is a flipping phenom type player.

I think the reds knew that. And they decided to part ways while he was cheap and could get them the best potential in pitching.

All about the money and the reds being cheap asses was what this trade was all about.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    They would not have taken Adam Dunn. The one guy that the Reds wanted from the Rangers was Volquez. The one guy that the Rangers wanted was Hamilton. There were countless offers from both sides trying to obtain the desired player without having to give up their prized possession. The Reds really wanted Volquez and made many offers that did not include Hamilton. Likewise, the Rangers made many offers for Hamilton that did not include Volquez.

They realized the trade that would have to happen, and that's how we got Volquez for Hamilton. Why the f would they want Adam Dunn?
    And you know all this how?

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post

And im still saying it now. This will go down as the worst trade in reds history.

No, the WORST trade in Reds history was Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, Jack Balschun and Dick Simpson. You must be a young fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    The Padres and Cardinals pitch better than the Giants.

Not their starters.

The order of "best starters in the National League" are:

Giants
    Cardinals
    Phillies
    Padres
    Braves
    Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    There are so many stubborn people on these board.

They just cant admit and eat crow when they were wrong.

Ive cried out loud when the trade was going down.

I cried out loud when volquez had a great record but the reds still didnt have a winning record.

I think the reds knew that. And they decided to part ways while he was cheap and could get them the best potential in pitching.

All about the money and the reds being cheap asses was what this trade was all about.
    But, the problem with your thinking is that you're wrong.

Turn Off Ads?