Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 17-year-old Yorman Rodriguez blossoming into a star for Mustangs

17-year-old Yorman Rodriguez blossoming into a star for Mustangs

Nice article on Yorman in the Billings Gazette. That newspaper does an excellent job of covering the Mustangs.

“The thing that sticks out, and the reason I fell in love with him, is his energy and how hard he plays,” manager Delino DeShields says. “It’s not that he hits home runs or that he has a great arm or any of that stuff. The main thing that got my attention about this young man was his passion and how hard he played the game.”
    “He’s a hell of a player. He’s got all the skills you can ask for,” Santos said. “His biggest improvement is going to be when he gets mature in the game. He’ll understand that this is not only a job, it’s a game. You’ve got to see it as a game and have some fun but also be responsible for everything you do.
    But the future is not too far away for Rodriguez.

“I don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t be in the major leagues at 21 or 22. Maybe sooner,” DeShields said. “I can’t see it going past that. I think at some point things are going to kick in for him. He’s going to figure it out and he’s going to take off.”
    Full article:
    http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...cc4c002e0.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: 17-year-old Yorman Rodriguez blossoming into a star for Mustangs

Thanks for posting this and the Guillon tweet, OBM. Pretty excited to see them in Dayton next year.

Rodriguez and that group from Billings/ Arizona might be the most talented prospects to go to Dayton in years. Yorman is the star of stars, but Hamilton, Duran, Arias (who should be there), and others would be tops in other years.

Could/should be the best collection of talent since the first season in Dayton. Dunn, Kearns and Howington were the stars of that team, but Acevado, Ray Olmedo and Brian Reith all decent stays in the majors, not to mention a few that had cups of coffee or a guy like Travis Thompson who had some promise (or was at least a long shot for the majors at one point).

IIRC, Howington was never much for the Dragons (or otherwise due to injuries) though had a high pedigree w/ the 1st round selection. Kearns and Dunn were stars and the others were all solid to splendid. Seems like Yorman would fit in the Kearns/Dunn mold of guys you knew and it was obvious would make the show one day. I don't know if Duran would fit that bill, but he'd be a sort of poor man's version of Dunn's power to Kearn's (Yorman's) all around excellance. From the highlights and what I've read so far, hamilton seems to be more polished and have more promise than Ray Olmedo did while w/ the Dragons. Arias looks to have star potential. Guillen could be of the same mold, plus there are several more worth watching.

If 2000 was the peak of talent in Dayton, seems like next year's team could blow that version out of the water. They won't have to worry (or at least shouldn't have to worry) about any more DDN hack jobs of how Grandal should have started out in Dayton because its not fair to the franchise to not have him play there.

I think Yorman could be placed on a Starlin Castro-esque schedule to the bigs, he's that good. And from everything I've read, in 3 years his defense will already play, as Castro's has.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I think Yorman could be placed on a Starlin Castro-esque schedule to the bigs, he's that good. And from everything I've read, in 3 years his defense will already play, as Castro's has.
    Yorman Rodriguez makes Juan Francisco look like a patient hitter. He has a long way to go before he's ready for the big leagues. That's also not to mention the rumors of him struggling with breaking pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yorman Rodriguez makes Juan Francisco look like a patient hitter. He has a long way to go before he's ready for the big leagues. That's also not to mention the rumors of him struggling with breaking pitches.
    I forgot to add the caveat, with the right coaching

Starlin was still in the AZL for all of his Age 18 season, so Yorman is already a bit ahead of him, although Starlin has always had a good K-BB ratio.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

His eye last season was good enough (19 BBs in half a season of ABs) to not worry over much about it now. It helps that he's hitting .344.

I'm guessing Yorman either struggles in Dayton and has to learn how to take a walk or someone explains the need for him to do so as he moves up the ladder.

Luckily for him he doesnt have as far to go since hes only struck out 16 times. Only walking once is a flaw but the fact that he hasnt been striking out at a massive rate lessens the problem slightly.

Vladimir Guerrero has had a solid career despite walking rarely

Quote Originally Posted by kentjett View Post
    Vladimir Guerrero has had a solid career despite walking rarely
    Vlad has also had a very good K/BB ratio.

Also Vlad has had a career 8.6 walk rate which honestly is no slouch considering the rest of his skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Luckily for him he doesnt have as far to go since hes only struck out 16 times. Only walking once is a flaw but the fact that he hasnt been striking out at a massive rate lessens the problem slightly.
    Agreed. He definitely needs to learn to walk more but at least he's not striking out at an awful rate. And as Scrap pointed out, he actually drew a decent amount of walks last season.

Turn Off Ads?