Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zach Greinke

Zach Greinke

Royals put two-pitcher pricetag on Greinke — 5:17 p.m.

The Royals will listen if teams want to trade for right-hander Zack Greinke, just as they would on any player, major-league sources say.

But when clubs inquire about Greinke, the Royals respond by saying they would want two major-league-ready pitchers with top-of-the rotation potential in return.

Their logic is that Greinke gives them a chance to win 35 times a year. To move him, they would want to multiply that number to, say, 70 times a year.

Greinke, 26, is under club control for this season and two more, just as Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez was at last year’s non-waiver deadline.

The Red Sox, Yankees and other clubs attempted to trade for Hernandez, figuring the Mariners might balk at signing him to an extension.

The Mariners kept Hernandez, then extended him with a five-year, $78 million contract in January.

More Royals: Part of their motivation for trading third baseman Alberto Callaspo was to give them a better chance to keep outfielder David DeJesus next season.

As it turned out, they could not have traded DeJesus, who suffered a season-ending thumb injury on Thursday just hours after the completion of the Callaspo trade.

But the Royals, when projecting their 2011 payroll, determined that they could not carry both Callaspo, who figures to earn $2.5 million in arbitration, and DeJesus, who can be retained on a $6 million club option.

Several clubs, including the Red Sox and Giants, had expressed interest in DeJesus. But if he had stayed healthy, the chances of the Royals moving him would have reduced to “50-50” with the trade of Callaspo, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.

While righty Sean O’Sullivan beat the Yankees earlier this week, Class A left-hander Will Smith was the bigger prize from the Angels in the Callaspo deal.

O’Sullivan, 22, projects as back-of-the-rotation starter who probably would be a swingman on a championship club. Smith, 21, projects as a No. 4 starter, and some with the Royals believe he could be a No. 3.

The Royals are attracting varying interest on their potential free agents – reliever Kyle Farnsworth, infielder Willie Bloomquist, designated hitter Jose Guillen and outfielders Scott Podsednik and Rick Ankiel.

Bloomquist should be attractive to teams in need of bench help; he plays every position but catcher and stole 25 bases last season. Teams are “kicking the tires” on Guillen, according to a source; if he moves, it likely will be close to the deadline. — Ken Rosenthal

So what I would like to say is... THE ROYALS are open to TRADING GREINKE...

2 pitchers??????

Micah Owings & Maloney & Alonso & Heisey & Whoever else it takes...

I would also like the Reds to grab 3B/OF Alex Gordon in the deal if possible...

Throw in anyone not named:

Leake
    Bruce
    Cueto
    Votto

But so the point of this is, the Royals are making Greinke available. This kind of pitcher doesn't come along very often. If Walt was almost aquiring LHP Cliff Lee, I would hope he is on the phone with Dayton Moore every single Day...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Zach Greinke

They really don't need Alonso. They have a few guys who are their future 1B/DH.

Wood, Frazier, Maloney, Heisey and Cozey might could do it.

I would not be upset with doing that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    They really don't need Alonso. They have a few guys who are their future 1B/DH.

Wood, Frazier, Maloney, Heisey and Cozey might could do it.

I would not be upset with doing that at all.
    Thank Goodness some Positive feedback...

Although Mike Moustakas is a 3B

Billy Butler should be a DH, he is horrible at 1st.

I thought that would make an enticing package for KC... They desperatley need starting pitching and a Center Fielder...

-The Insider-

Yea and they have Eric Hosmer and Kila Ka'aihue (who's raking in Trips) that both play first.

Frazier could play left and Heisey center. It may not be the best package they could get but it's something to think about.

Yea and they have Eric Hosmer and Kila Ka'aihue (who's raking in Trips) that both play first.

Frazier could play left and Heisey center. It may not be the best package they could get but it's something to think about.
    Damn, I forgot about Hosmer... Ka'aihue I knew about.

Yeah, well this would be the ONE pitcher I would trade a bunch of prospects for... The Reds would have him for 3 more years under contract!

-The Insider-

I agree.

However, I'd make us have no future left fielder or short stop but I think I'd be ok with it.

If I'm the Royals, I don't trade Greinke to the Reds unless Travis Wood is included in the deal. They want another top of the rotation guy so that could be Homer Bailey (he isn't now but could be). Both would go straight to the Royals rotation. The Royals would probably ask for a good position player which could be a number of guys (Dave Sappelt, Frazier, Heisey etc.). If it took Wood, Bailey and Heisey I would probably do it although trading Wood would sting. The Reds would be trading their 2009 minor league pitcher of the year and 2009 minor league player of the year so the Royals could play up that fact to their fans who might not like the trade.

The rotation for the rest of the season would be Greinke, Cueto, Volquez, Arroyo and Leake.
    Last edited by Kiko; 07-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    If I'm the Royals, I don't trade Greinke to the Reds unless Travis Wood is included in the deal. They want another top of the rotation guy so that could be Homer Bailey (he isn't now but could be). Royals would probably ask for a good position player which could be a number of guys (Dave Sappelt, Frazier, Heisey etc.). If it took Wood, Bailey and Heisey I would probably do it although trading Wood would sting. The Reds would be trading their 2009 minor league pitcher of the year and 2009 minor league player of the year so the Royals could play up that fact to their fans who might like the trade.

The rotation for the rest of the season would be Greinke, Cueto, Volquez, Arroyo and Leake.
    I would rather keep Travis Wood for 6 more years than trade him away and a bunch of other prospects. Plus Greinke will be a $10,000,000 guy in the next 2 years (then free agent) vs. Wood making league minimum. Wood for 6 years + $9,500,000 position guy for 2 years > Greinke IMO. Of course it all depends on Wood, but the Reds need to take those types of chances on young, cheap guys in order to field a championship level team.

Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, and a couple of position prospects. I highly doubt KC would take that, and therefore I would not do the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    I would rather keep Travis Wood for 6 more years than trade him away and a bunch of other prospects. Plus Greinke will be a $10,000,000 guy in the next 2 years (then free agent) vs. Wood making league minimum. Wood for 6 years + $9,500,000 position guy for 2 years > Greinke IMO. Of course it all depends on Wood, but the Reds need to take those types of chances on young, cheap guys in order to field a championship level team.

Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, and a couple of position prospects. I highly doubt KC would take that, and therefore I would not do the deal.
    I think I would LOVE a 10 Million dollar a year Cy Young Award winner whos 26 years old...

Aaron Harang makes more than that and has struggled mightely the last 2+ years...

How about Wood and Bailey straight up with a couple of B prospects. I would do that in a heartbeat, I know some are reluctant to give up Wood, but Greinke is as good as it gets.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    How about Wood and Bailey straight up with a couple of B prospects. I would do that in a heartbeat, I know some are reluctant to give up Wood, but Greinke is as good as it gets.
    But would the Royals?

To get one of the best pitchers in baseball, you're gonna have to give up the best you have. Any deal would have to start with Wood and Frazier. You wouldn't get away with dealing Wood, Bailey (who I don't think has much trade value anymore. They already have a young, inconstant pitcher who was a top prospect in Luke Hochevar) and B prospects wouldn't work.

But would the Royals?

To get one of the best pitchers in baseball, you're gonna have to give up the best you have. Any deal would have to start with Wood and Frazier. You wouldn't get away with dealing Wood, Bailey (who I don't think has much trade value anymore. They already have a young, inconstant pitcher who was a top prospect in Luke Hochevar) and B prospects wouldn't work.
    Yes, but if they want two potential TOR guys than I think that's as far as the Reds will go. I can't seem them trading Leake, Cueto, and obviously not Chapman. I think it would be a pretty fair deal, Wood has already shown tremendous talent, and maybe the Royals still believe that Bailey will become a great pitcher in the next 2 years.

-The Insider-

Yes, but if they want two potential TOR guys than I think that's as far as the Reds will go. I can't seem them trading Leake, Cueto, and obviously not Chapman. I think it would be a pretty fair deal, Wood has already shown tremendous talent, and maybe the Royals still believe that Bailey will become a great pitcher in the next 2 years.
    Oh no, I'm not talking about them dealing Leake, Cueto or Chapman at all.

I'm saying a package of Wood, Frazier, Cozart and maybe one more could entice the Royals.

Oh no, I'm not talking about them dealing Leake, Cueto or Chapman at all.

I'm saying a package of Wood, Frazier, Cozart and maybe one more could entice the Royals.
    In the article it said they wanted two major league ready TOR pitchers. So would Wood, Cozart, Frazier, and Bailey be over paying? I don't know much about the minor leagues other than reading the thread.

-The Insider-

In the article it said they wanted two major league ready TOR pitchers. So would Wood, Cozart, Frazier, and Bailey be over paying? I don't know much about the minor leagues other than reading the thread.
    It might would be but I believe I'd do it.

Turn Off Ads?