Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How will you feel if Walt does nothing?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, we have very good young talent and don't need to give it away

22 47.83%
  • Surprised, all teams in this position usually make trades to improve themselves

20 43.48%
  • SHOCKED, how can Walt not do anything

1 2.17%
  • PISSED, can't believe Walt is so out of touch with what this team needs.

3 6.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if Walt stands pat?

What if Walt stands pat?

How will you view this team and ownership if Walt doesn't make any moves?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What if Walt stands pat?

Smart for not giving up too much for little in return in a bad trade market.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    Smart for not giving up too much for little in return in a bad trade market.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I don't want a "marginal" upgrade. If he doesn't make a blockbuster that will change the competitive balance for years to come, like the Rolen trade, I don't want one. Besides, he has signed several free agents, Izzy, Springer, and GMJ. I'm glad GMJ didn't work out, that proves to me at least what this team did early is legit, they are deep, good and here to stay.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

I voted "great" because I have full faith in Walt to make sound baseball decisions for this season's playoff run and also for the long term success of the club. If he gets a reasonable deal to improve the club this season without giving up a pile of talent he will do it. But he won't panic.

I trust Walt will do the right thing but I really don't envy him right now. I don't know if it is a function of the youth on this team but the Reds are a wildly inconsistent team which makes it very hard to improve.

Joey Votto and Scott Rolen are the only guys on this team, that month to month you pretty much know what you will get. Everybody else is up and down in HUGE swings.

Top three OPS guys in July - How many people would guess
    Votto 1.111, Stubbs .761, Cabrera .706

Phillips, Rolen, Bruce and Gomes have been dreadful in July, but at the same time, when they play at the top of their game it will be extremely difficult to get someone better at any of their positions.

So I believe that the trade deadline will be pretty low key with maybe a bullpen arm or bench guy. Not much more than that.

What if the Sun doesn't rise tomorrow.

Those are the same odds that Walt stands pat.

First of all, he's already done three things:

Sign Springer, Isringhausen, and Matthews.

He's also done other things:

Waited for the returns of Bray (good thing), Volquez (good thing), Burton's progress (we'll see), giving Fisher another shot.

And, he's been in communication with many, many teams exploring other things.

Walt has been quite busy and been anything but, "standing pat".

I'd be surprised due to his history in making moves, but I also have faith in him and wouldn't be disappointed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I trust Walt will do the right thing but I really don't envy him right now. I don't know if it is a function of the youth on this team but the Reds are a wildly inconsistent team which makes it very hard to improve.

Joey Votto and Scott Rolen are the only guys on this team, that month to month you pretty much know what you will get. Everybody else is up and down in HUGE swings.

Top three OPS guys in July - How many people would guess
    Votto 1.111, Stubbs .761, Cabrera .706

Phillips, Rolen, Bruce and Gomes have been dreadful in July, but at the same time, when they play at the top of their game it will be extremely difficult to get someone better at any of their positions.

So I believe that the trade deadline will be pretty low key with maybe a bullpen arm or bench guy. Not much more than that.
    Good post.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    How will you view this team and ownership if Walt doesn't make any moves?
    Dude, nothing personal, but it sure seems like you start alot of new threads around here. And most of them are kind of similar.

Just sayin'.

Just made up this quick analysis of Reds' wins, pitching, and offensive stats by month. Didn't know where else to post it so I threw it in here.

April: (12-11, 5.41 ERA); .245 BA, .322 OBP, 106 R, 22 HR
    May: (18-11, 3.84 ERA); .299 BA, .366 OBP, 162 R, 45 HR
    June: (14-13, 4.19 ERA); .274 BA, .327 OBP, 118 R, 26 HR
    July: (11-10, 3.08 ERA); .254 BA, .319 OBP, 96 R, 26 HR

Just going off of this, the weakness seems to be our offense. Although we have the #1 offense in the league, that was basically because of a ridiculous hot month of May and a good June. The Reds are currently 10 games over .500, 7 of which is because of the great month of May.

We definitely need another bat in this lineup. I just don't know if there's anyone out there worth a big move.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    We definitely need another bat in this lineup. I just don't know if there's anyone out there worth a big move.
    Our biggest problem is the "politics". Dumping Cabrera is the obvious fix to this team. But, Dusty Baker is such a huge voice in the "War Room", and it seems his influence every season has this team in the exact same situation every time.........trying to find a replacement for a horrible Veteran's bat who hits in either the #1 spot or the #2 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Our biggest problem is the "politics". Dumping Cabrera is the obvious fix to this team. But, Dusty Baker is such a huge voice in the "War Room", and it seems his influence every season has this team in the exact same situation every time.........trying to find a replacement for a horrible Veteran's bat who hits in either the #1 spot or the #2 spot.
    So which SS within reason of the trade market will be an improvement over what we have right now in Cabrera?

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    So which SS within reason of the trade market will be an improvement over what we have right now in Cabrera?
    I think that is kind of the problem that the Reds and Walt face in a nutshell. The check list goes

1.) What players are realistically available?
    2.) Are they a significant upgrade over what is currently on the roster
    3.) Is the value they provide better than what they are trading away.

Just running through the exercise. Say Drew is available is does his .099 superior OPS improve the Reds so much that you are willing to trade away a Yonder Alonso.

I think what you will find is the guys available are only marginally better than what we have and the only way you will not overpay in prospects is if you take back really bad contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Every other starting Shortstop in the Major Leagues would be an improvement.

But, specifically, Arizona's Drew would be. His Defense is lights-out better than Cabrera's, and his OBP is lights-out better than Cabrera's.

As much as I've always liked and believed in Alonso, I'd trade Alonso for Drew straight up, and that would be more right there than Arizona got for Haren.

Turn Off Ads?