Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Chone Figgins?

What about Chone Figgins?

Other than his dismal year in Seattle this year (it's still better than Cabrera's), he's been nothing but stellar as a #2 hitter his entire career.

With Rolen's back a question mark for the rest of the season, Figgins could play 3rd Base quite a bit, and while he's not a good Shortstop, he's not going to be any worse than Cabrera Defensively.

He might have worn out his welcome in Seattle after the scuffle with his Wakamatsu.

Obviously, the contract could be a problem, but he's 32 years old. His contract will be done by the time he reaches the age Cabrera is right now.

12/8/09: Signed four-year, $36 million contract with a $9 million vesting option for 2014

And, he's a Switch-hitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What about Chone Figgins?

He's 32 and his stats this year are strikingly bad which is a huge red flag after a very good career. That along with his salary would make my answer a huge no. Letting Janish play more would be better even at 3rd.

Slugging % at .298? Ugh. And he's not a good base stealer. Steals alot. Just not well. He might just be sick of losing but he's on the downside of his career.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CWRed View Post
    He's 32 and his stats this year are strikingly bad which is a huge red flag after a very good career. That along with his salary would make my answer a huge no. Letting Janish play more would be better even at 3rd.

Slugging % at .298? Ugh. And he's not a good base stealer. Steals alot. Just not well. He might just be sick of losing but he's on the downside of his career.
    Agree completely.

But, Baker won't play Janish.

While we all want Janish to have more playing time, Baker simply won't play him.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I think he can be better than the numbers he is currently putting up if he's jettisoned from that clubhouse asap, but I don't think he can be good enough to justify that salary, especially for another 3 years.

Add to that we don't have anywhere to play him. He can not play SS. He hasn't played the position since 2006 and he has a grand total of like 16-17 games worth of experience at the position split over his entire 9 year career. If you think he "can't be any worse than Cabrera," then you are both vastly overestimating his skills at the 6 and underestimating Cabrera's defensive worth. Unless you move Phillips to SS he isn't going to get in more than 3-4 days max a week (barring an extended Rolen absence). You don't take on that kind of dough if he is basically going to be a utliity guy.
    Last edited by sabometrics; 07-26-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Remember when the Mariners were the trendy pick in Spring Training? Baseball can be a funny game, even though not many people in the Great Northwest are laughing right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    I think he can be better than the numbers he is currently putting up if he's jettisoned from that clubhouse asap, but I don't think he can be good enough to justify that salary, especially for another 3 years.

Add to that we don't have anywhere to play him. He can not play SS. He hasn't played the position since 2006 and he has a grand total of like 16-17 games worth of experience at the position split over his entire 9 year career. If you think he "can't be any worse than Cabrera," then you are both vastly overestimating his skills at the 6 and underestimating Cabrera's defensive worth. Unless you move Phillips to SS he isn't going to get in more than 3-4 days max a week (barring an extended Rolen absence). You don't take on that kind of dough if he is basically going to be a utliity guy.
    I just looked up the stats to do this same research. Great post.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Depends on how bad the Mariners want to get rid of him.If they eat a big majority of his contract.Figgins is a super utility man.And Seattle just seems like a graveyard for FA's who sign there not named Lee.

no and I like Chone

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post

This too....

Can we not discuss these type of Players? Figgins makes too much for too little production... Anaheim is a very astute talent evaluator. If they let him go, they know they got the best years of his life...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Can we not discuss these type of Players? Figgins makes too much for too little production... Anaheim is a very astute talent evaluator. If they let him go, they know they got the best years of his life...
    Yep and Vlady and the Rangers say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Yep and Vlady and the Rangers say hi.
    Which perhaps brings up the whole ballpark and ball club argument. Figgins=pitcher's park and bad team
    Guerrero= hitter's park and good team

Of course, even that's a simplistic explanation. Guerrero is a Hall of Fame talent and Figgins is not. I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule but I'm almost starting to think it might be. Guys who are all power and maybe some walks but little else, particularly in terms of athleticism (the dread old player skills) tend to lose it quickly, or at least all of a sudden and almost without warning.

I'm starting to think it could be the case with some guys who are mostly speed and little else too. Vince Coleman comes to mind, Lance Johnson to a lesser extent though I haven't checked the stats. And of course, our very own Ryan Freel would be another. Of course, Scott Podsednik has had a rebirth of sorts, but you're also talking about a guy or offers little to no power. Juan Pierre and Tony Womack have had or had rather lengthy careers, but both took their share of abuse from the sabermetrically inclined for their non existent power and willingness or ability to draw walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    Which perhaps brings up the whole ballpark and ball club argument. Figgins=pitcher's park and bad team
    Guerrero= hitter's park and good team

Of course, even that's a simplistic explanation. Guerrero is a Hall of Fame talent and Figgins is not. I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule but I'm almost starting to think it might be. Guys who are all power and maybe some walks but little else, particularly in terms of athleticism (the dread old player skills) tend to lose it quickly, or at least all of a sudden and almost without warning.

I'm starting to think it could be the case with some guys who are mostly speed and little else too. Vince Coleman comes to mind, Lance Johnson to a lesser extent though I haven't checked the stats. And of course, our very own Ryan Freel would be another. Of course, Scott Podsednik has had a rebirth of sorts, but you're also talking about a guy or offers little to no power. Juan Pierre and Tony Womack have had or had rather lengthy careers, but both took their share of abuse from the sabermetrically inclined for their non existent power and willingness or ability to draw walks.
    Lou Brock comes to mind although he did have a little power (one of two players ever to hit one over the center field wall at the old Polo Grounds.) Tim Raines was another, but he had a little power also. Then of course Ricky Henderson, Maury Wills. The Reds had David Collins. You could always say Ty Cobb, but that was a different era.

Figgins would be a terrible contract to take on. Plus you say he's better than Cabrera? He can't play short and he's not having a better year than OCab and is making a ton more money. Only thing he's be good for is pinch running.

Turn Off Ads?