Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Torreyes

Resident PED Expert

Re: Ronald Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    This. I think people realllly need to curb their enthusiasm with him. Before two months ago, no one knew who he was, and no one still does, just know his numbers. I know people aren't getting too far ahead, but still, its just the VSL and a few AZL at bats. I remember the same hype about Efrain Contreras a few years ago. Different things happen in Venezuela and the DR.
    Eh. Most of this is in good fun. But the kid has a unheard of season. So if it's a one year wonder, so be it. Doesn't mean we all can't enjoy it or have a little fun with the posts...

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's a feel-good story. He looks like the team batboy but goes out and gets two hits seemingly every game. It's something fun to follow. I don't think anyone has him heading to Cooperstown at this point.

It's always exciting when a 17 year old is declaring war on the baseball so vehemently. I don't think people's expectations of Raton extend much beyond that.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

It's always exciting when a 17 year old is declaring war on the baseball so vehemently. I don't think people's expectations of Raton extend much beyond that.
    Well put.

No Reds minor leaguer has racked up hits the way Torreyes has since Redus hit .462 at Billings about 30 years ago.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    This. I think people realllly need to curb their enthusiasm with him. Before two months ago, no one knew who he was, and no one still does, just know his numbers. I know people aren't getting too far ahead, but still, its just the VSL and a few AZL at bats. I remember the same hype about Efrain Contreras a few years ago. Different things happen in Venezuela and the DR.
    Well C.ontreras was 20, while Torreyes is 17, so that is a big difference. But yeah, things are a little different in the international leagues than they are in the states. So far so good for Torreyes though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well C.ontreras was 20, while Torreyes is 17, so that is a big difference. But yeah, things are a little different in the international leagues than they are in the states. So far so good for Torreyes though.
    Nor did Contreras lay waste to a league like Torreyes did . . . and then carry on the same kind of performance to the next league.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Nor did Contreras lay waste to a league like Torreyes did . . . and then carry on the same kind of performance to the next league.
    Well I think it is a little early to say he carried it on. He has less than 10 games played so far.

Well I think it is a little early to say he carried it on. He has less than 10 games played so far.
    Perhaps, but the fact he hasn't missed a beat in moving to a new league in a new country is certainly reason enough to be even more enthusiastic about the kid than we were a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Perhaps, but the fact he hasn't missed a beat in moving to a new league in a new country is certainly reason enough to be even more enthusiastic about the kid than we were a couple weeks ago.
    One thing gets me more excited about him than the numbers, and its the fact that the Reds brought a 17 year old to the US. They just don't do that often.

Resident PED Expert

One thing gets me more excited about him than the numbers, and its the fact that the Reds brought a 17 year old to the US. They just don't do that often.
    Especially if you fact in that he isn't a high profile, get your invest back kinda kid. He is just a 17 yr old kid. One thing that I wonder is, how do they go about letting him play and live in the US without a guardian or parental figure around?

Can I ask what upside? I haven't seen any real scouting reports on him yet and just a few pictures of him with no video. What is his upside that has you really liking it?
    I guess I misspoke.

Looking at his age/stats/frame, I'm just thinking that he could possibly show significant improvement if gets a lot stronger and that I like him as a prospect.

Torreyes got hit again last night. He must have at least 15 HBP this year. I have never seen video of him at the plate. Does he stand right on top of the plate or, being a little guy, does he dive into the ball?

*Bump*

From Ben Badler:

Is Ronald Torreyes a legitimate prospect for the Reds, or flukish breakout in VSL/AZL?

Badler - Built like a jockey, but very legit

http://twitter.com/home#search?q=Ronald%20Torreyes

Jim Callis on Torreyes:

Ronald Torreyes have a real shot to become a top prospect? #Reds

Callis - Not many 5-ft-7 top prospects. Good D at 2B, can handle bat.

http://twitter.com/jimcallisBA

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jim Callis on Torreyes:

Ronald Torreyes have a real shot to become a top prospect? #Reds

Callis - Not many 5-ft-7 top prospects. Good D at 2B, can handle bat.

http://twitter.com/jimcallisBA
    Joe Morgan was 5-8. Not comparing the two, but I think a smaller guy has the ability to succeed in baseball more than the other two major sports.

I'd love nothing more than to see both Hamilton and Torreyes build upon last year and end up batting one-two in Cincy in about three or four years. Hamilton with a high OBP and his amazing speed and Torreyes behind him with good contact and a small strike zone. It's a long way off, but having your DP combination capable of hitting at the top of the order gives you room for a lot of flexibility (and pop) all the way down the order..

Turn Off Ads?