Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Torreyes

Resident PED Expert

Ronald Torreyes

About time we create a thread for the 17 year olds Phenomenal season and where his baseball roots have grown from.

First off, here is a picture of him from 4 years ago with President Bush. He is the player on the immediate right of G'Dubya.

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archiv...60-5-515h.html

Seems he was a international exchange player during the Original WBC.

So he has been on US soil before.

Was part of the U16 Venezuelan team that competed in the World Championships. Was teammates with Ismail Guillon. Competed against Bryce Harper. Played 3B for that team.

So it seems he has a bit of international experience against higher competition prior to this year. Has some familiarity with Guillon which makes me wonder if that is why he signed with the Reds.

His stats in general are... Sick.

OPS vs LHP 1.183
    OPS vs RHP 1.090

OPS Home 1.074
    OPS Road 1.153

May OPS 1.064
    June OPS 1.159
    July OPS 1.074

Bases Empty OPS 1.157
    Runners On OPS 1.040
    Scoring Position 1.157

BABIP is .397 (as of 07/23)

LD% vs LHP 31.1%
    LD% vs RHP 32.7%

Has reached base 24 out of his last 42 plate appearances (58.7%)

181 of his AB's are as a leadoff hitter.

Leads the VSL by...

.049 in BA
    .002 in OBP
    .133 in SLG%
    3B's by 4 (9)
    2B's by 4 (20)
    AB's by 2
    Hits by 21 (86)
    Runs by 9 (50)
    Total Bases by 41
    2nd in Games played (58)
    3rd in SB's (18)
    3rd in Lowest K Rate (120 AB's Minimum)
    5th in HR's (4)
    9th in RBI's (30)

Walk Rate is 8.1%
    K Rate is 3.9%

Power ISO is .158

Been HBP 15 times this season.

Only grounded into 3 DP all year.

Has played 25 Games at 3B. 6 Errors. .939 FLD%

Has Played 22 Games at SS. 6 Errors. .950 FLD%

Has played 5 Games in LF. 0 Errors.

Has played 2 Games at 2B. 0 Errors.

So it looks to me he will add to the deep crop of SS's in the Reds system next year. Playing the position well enough to bump Valor, who is reportedly a slick fielder to 2B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ronald Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post

So it looks to me he will add to the deep crop of SS's in the Reds system next year. Playing the position well enough to bump Valor, who is reportedly a slick fielder to 2B.
    Good to see him do well and join Humberto Valor as the top two pre-Rookie League prospects. Do you (or anyone else who knows about this kind of stuff) really think he'll stay at SS over Valor, who as you acknowledged is supposed to have a great glove? My initial guess would be that Valor is the SS while Torreyes is the 3B, but I have admittedly never seen either play.
    Go BLUE!!!

Those stats are ridiculous.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Good to see him do well and join Humberto Valor as the top two pre-Rookie League prospects. Do you (or anyone else who knows about this kind of stuff) really think he'll stay at SS over Valor, who as you acknowledged is supposed to have a great glove? My initial guess would be that Valor is the SS while Torreyes is the 3B, but I have admittedly never seen either play.
    I'm wondering if switch is going to be permanent. He is a bit smallish to play 3B IMO.

The stat I see that makes me go hmmm is that in 22 Games at SS, Torreyes has gotten to 121 balls, committed 6 E's, .950 FLD% and turned 10 DP's. (5.23 chances per game)

Valor has played 33 Games at SS and only played 137 balls (only 3.88 per game) with 9 Errors and a .934 FLD %.

So on paper, Torreyes has better range and a better glove. 3B seems to be held down by Andres Santoni of late, who was playing 1B before Yimmy Lopez took that spot over. Santoni seems to be pretty slick around the 3B bag. So it seems they've hedged their bets.

Another neat fact is Torreyes is only 7 days older than Valor. Sept 2 vs the 9th.

He's been an absolute hitting machine. I checked back over some previous years' VSL leader boards, and what Torreyes is doing lays waste to them, and he tends to be a couple years younger than guys who dominated the league in the past. His numbers are simply astronomical so far. Really looking forward to his arrival in the States, still hoping it'll happen this year (though not optimistic).

A little random but I added Torreyes on facebook when this thread was made just for giggles and today he messaged me and we ended up having a long conversation in Spanish. He says he can not wait to get to the United States and is ready for the challenge in America. Seems like a cool kid.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I was into facebook my freshman year, and since then I've totally stopped spending time on it, but that's pretty cool. Reds players on twitter, talking to farmhands on facebook, these are strange days.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

He thought I was a Reds player because my status was about Chapman. It was weird having a conversation with Google Translate haha.

Oh LOL I thought you actually spoke Spanish, that's even funnier if you spent the entire conversation copy-pasting to-fro Google Translate.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    Oh LOL I thought you actually spoke Spanish, that's even funnier if you spent the entire conversation copy-pasting to-fro Google Translate.
    Yeah, and he said I speak very good Spanish...so thank you google translate.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I'm wondering if switch is going to be permanent. He is a bit smallish to play 3B IMO.
    Brandon Inge and Chone Figgins are two smaller guys who have acquitted themselves pretty well. I think more of an issue of having enough power offensively to hold on to a corner IF position and it seems his hitting isn't an issue.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Just a fan stat: he has a steady lead in the league for getting hit by pitches. Humberto Valor is tied for third in the league.

Ronald Torreyes just messaged me and said he is promoted and going to Arizona tomorrow. He's pretty pumped to come to America.

Good to hear. I'm excited to hear what scouts think about him. Wish him the best of luck.

From looking at his stats today, I see his power ISOp as being .216 (.606slg-.390ba). Did he go white hot the other day or am I calculating wrong? I know it's semantics, and I really don't mean for this to come across as being a "gotcha!" moment, but I am just curious if I have been misinformed or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?