Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Torreyes

Re: Ronald Torreyes

Looks like its about time to give him a shot at the 2nd base job in Dayton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
    Looks like its about time to give him a shot at the 2nd base job in Dayton.
    Was thinking the same thing. I know they want to give Devin Lohman a shot, but come on, he's 1 for 19 and the team is profoundly needy at the plate. Lohman doesn't have to be put to pasture. Hamilton and Torreyes, small as they are, should probably be protected a bit. Plus, there's the DH.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. I know they want to give Devin Lohman a shot, but come on, he's 1 for 19 and the team is profoundly needy at the plate. Lohman doesn't have to be put to pasture. Hamilton and Torreyes, small as they are, should probably be protected a bit. Plus, there's the DH.
    It has been a week. If Lohman had been 1-19 in the middle of June, hardly anyone notices. He apparently hit well all spring. I am not high on Lohman, but give the guy more than 7 games to "lose" his job.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It has been a week. If Lohman had been 1-19 in the middle of June, hardly anyone notices. He apparently hit well all spring. I am not high on Lohman, but give the guy more than 7 games to "lose" his job.
    It's not a Lohman thing, per se. More than that, it's a team thing (which, by extension, is an organizational issue) and a Torreyes thing. Plus, as I pointed out, there'd still be plenty of looks for Lohman.

That said, I can agree that it might be a little hasty at this early juncture. But it's definitely something to be considering; and soon. Just like there has been a shine on the Reds' fast start, the initial troubles at Dayton and especially Carolina can have the opposite effect. No sense in letting the season get away early, if it can be helped. Just like a 1-for-19 stretch might not be noticed if it were in June, it might not be noticed, either, if the Dragons were 5-2. But they're 2-5, coming off a series in which they had no hits in one game and three in another.

You promote within in the minors due to individual ability or injuires, not team need.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    You promote within in the minors due to individual ability or injuires, not team need.
    It's been noted/observed several times that the Reds are very conscious this year of putting out a good, watchable product in Dayton. The current team satisfies the watchable part of that, with Hamilton and Rodriguez, but that will only go so far if the team is as terrible as it has been the last couple years.

On top of that, it seems like everyone who saw Torreyes in his brief fling in Dayton last year was very impressed and had no doubt that he belonged at that level. I'm not necessarily an advocate of rushing him, or anybody; it just seems like, in this case, the signs are all pointing in that direction. Especially if the current situation lingers for another week or ten days.

The dollar sign is always the final determination. They gave Lohman a ton of money. He has to play. You get serious internal problems when the player development people don't play a guy that the scouting staff put their reputation on the line for.

There are many cases in the minor leagues of players moving due to need, but in this case, that will not trump the $363,000 that they gave Lohman. He will play until something changes somewhere. If Vidal doesn't hit, it is possible that Lohman would move to third and Torreyes would come in. But it is too early even for that.

One player is not going to fix everything. The team is last in the league in batting, pitching, and fielding.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Okay, does ANYBODY know where Torreyes is? He's STILL not on any MiLB roster. Someone mentioned extended spring training...but that CAN'T still be going on, can it? I'm really puzzled by his absence. I'd love an update if anybody has any info regarding him.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay, does ANYBODY know where Torreyes is? He's STILL not on any MiLB roster. Someone mentioned extended spring training...but that CAN'T still be going on, can it? I'm really puzzled by his absence. I'd love an update if anybody has any info regarding him.
    It feels strange to me as well. We're more than a quarter of the way through the season... why is one of our top prospects being denied crucial minor league time?

Yes he is in EST until like June 20th then he will be going to Billings

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
    Yes he is in EST until like June 20th then he will be going to Billings
    Wow. I had no clue extended spring training ran THAT long? Sheesh!

Thanks for the update billy bob. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    It feels strange to me as well. We're more than a quarter of the way through the season... why is one of our top prospects being denied crucial minor league time?
    First off, I wouldn't classify him as one of our top prospects. We know very little about him, besides his numbers in one year in Rookie Ball and one report saying he played a solid second base.

Its most likely they feel he needs more seasoning. He's played ONE year of pro ball, and is 18 years old. He'll most likely be in Billlings, where he skipped last year for a short stint in Dayton.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    First off, I wouldn't classify him as one of our top prospects. We know very little about him, besides his numbers in one year in Rookie Ball and one report saying he played a solid second base.

Its most likely they feel he needs more seasoning. He's played ONE year of pro ball, and is 18 years old. He'll most likely be in Billlings, where he skipped last year for a short stint in Dayton.
    I gotcha, thanks. I wasn't aware ESP went on that long either.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Torreyes is 18 years old. How many 18 year olds are playing full season baseball? 5? It isn't a big deal at all that he isn't playing right now.

Torreyes is a middle infielder. They already have middle infielders in Dayton who have to play everyday. If you took the money out of the equation and just played your best team, you would call Torreyes up to Dayton, play him at short, and move Hamilton to second. But it doesn't work that way. If it did, Yorman would be in Goodyear right now.

When they agree to give a guy $365,000 or whatever they gave Lohman, you are making a commitment that you are going to play the player until he proves he can't play. You are making that commitment to your scouting department. That is the way the thing works.

Yes, at some point, Lohman has to start to show something. The scout who signed him is sure hoping so, too.

Turn Off Ads?